Great area to introduce children to G.C.ing

I have just taken my grandchildren to Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire. The National Trust have made two series, Family Trail (4 Caches) and History Trail (6 Caches).

They are all of a good size, about 1 litre clip boxes, and not hidden in such a way that they are too difficult for children to find. Plenty of items to swop and decent logbooks. The added extra is in each cache there is a fact sheet relevant to the location.

I borrowed a GPS from the National Trust centre at the car park, free - just left my car keys as security - so my grandchildren had a GPS each.

As a bonus they each got a certificate, also free, stating number of caches found at the end.

A search on GC2YV2N will take you to the start.

I suspect at weekends it is muggle central and GPS units for loan might be in short supply, but for a day out in the holidays, well worth a visit.

Hope this posting helps someone.

My kids like being taken up there for a spot of kite-flying now and again - the Downs really is a sight on a clear, warm breezy day with hundreds of kites in the air !

Looks like a good initative from the NT, will take in a spot of geocaching next time we are there.

P.S. I see that one of the History Trail caches already has a NM flag on it ... will be interesting to see how diligent a CO the NT proves to be ?!?!?