Canadians: affordable device for paperless geocaching?

I'm interested in hearing about what GPS devices are popular with Canadians (some devices don't seem to have any maps - preloaded or otherwise - for Canada) and/or where some of these devices can be bought. I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 62 from a paperless geocaching pov - does anyone own it or have experience using it? I would be interested in anything between the $200-300 range as well. Thank you and all the very best! :anibad:

I'm interested in hearing about what GPS devices are popular with Canadians (some devices don't seem to have any maps - preloaded or otherwise - for Canada) and/or where some of these devices can be bought. I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 62 from a paperless geocaching pov - does anyone own it or have experience using it? I would be interested in anything between the $200-300 range as well. Thank you and all the very best! :anibad:

Welcome to Geocaching snailbandit!

We bought our third Garmin GPS, the GPSMAP 62, two months ago and love the paperless ability and the increased reception and accuracy. GPS City had a sale. Not sure what stores are in Ontario but you can keep checking online.

Geocaching has a GPS rating and review section where you can compare various models.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman from Alberta

Any of the newer model Garmins (Colorado, Dakota, Oregon, 62, 78, Montana, Etrex 20/30) or the Delormes will work fine. Maps for Canada are easily available free. The federal government made all the map data public a few years ago.

Edited by Red90

Someone mentioned GPS City (Calgary) whom I agree are really great to buy from. Their service is excellent, they'll price match and they often upgrade the shipping at their own expense. I've purchased two GPSr's from them and couldn't be happier with the level of service I've been getting.

Someone mentioned GPS City (Calgary) whom I agree are really great to buy from. Their service is excellent, they'll price match and they often upgrade the shipping at their own expense. I've purchased two GPSr's from them and couldn't be happier with the level of service I've been getting.

Yup they're the best. Get on their email list and watch for a sale.

Last month they were selling the Dakota 20 for $210 and the Oregon 450 for $299.

Make sure it's GPScity.ca and not.com

B.

I have the GPSMAP 62st and it's been great.

First the good:

If you can afford the extra $ the tri-axis compass, Set and Go, and Canuck maps have been great in the ST. I also subscribed to the Birdseye satellite maps and the

image quality for where I live is phenomenal (others have had mixed results...if you are planning to look at an uninhabited area the quality may be less).

The paperless feature is awesome. Upload a cache's .gpx file to your unit and all of the details are there including Description, logs, and hints (already decoded).

The Set and go feature allowed me to enter a bearing, and the prescribed distance to a cache and it took me right there and even set off an alarm when I arrived. Pretty cool.

The not-so-good:

The manual is somewhat lacking (most are). The best way to learn the device is to dig in and play with it, and come here for advice. Geocaching.com is the BEST place for advice.

The Garmin site is practically useless. The quad-coil antenna doesn't appear to be any more accurate than other units. When under a tree canopy the accuracy can still be 15-30m

instead of the usual 3-5m.

The 62 appears to be a work in progress with almost bi-weekly firmware updates. This is both good and bad (see below).

The last firmware update kinda messed it up my unit, but I just reloaded my gpx files and it was all good. Yes I followed the instructions to back up my stuff, but even when reloaded it had problems.

Once I reloaded my found caches (even though they were there) it seemed to work.

B.

Edited by BStheTech

One caveat with GPS City.....

If you order multiple items and one is not in stock, they will NOT hold the in stock items for you. If one goes out of stock while waiting, you then get to wait again. On a large order, it may never ship....

GPS Central is another good option and they all price match.

Edited by Red90

www.RadioWorld.ca is also a great place to shop for good prices on GPS receivers in Canada!

In the Garmin line, the new Etrex 20 ("coming soon") is the cheapest paperless GPSr listed at just $200. The Dakota 10 lists at $265, GPSmap62 is $279 CDN :)

Edited by NordicMan