How do I enter my first hide?

Alison2010

Hello all Geocacher's.... :)

I have placed my first cache and am excited about it. My daughter came to visit me for her 11th Birthday and we hid a cache together to celebrate her first visit to this wonderful city.

I have coordinates and can not seem to enter my cache, so others can enjoy the find.

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thank you,

Al2010

Hello all Geocacher's.... :)

I have placed my first cache and am excited about it. My daughter came to visit me for her 11th Birthday and we hid a cache together to celebrate her first visit to this wonderful city.

I have coordinates and can not seem to enter my cache, so others can enjoy the find.

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thank you,

Al2010

Hey, my wife and I just got back from your neck of the woods and we had a fabulous time! Check out some of my logs! Not sure I can help you with your concern but some of the folks on this forum are very smart and you'll quickly have a solution. Just wanted to agree that you live in a great area!

I have done all of the above. My coordinates are not putting my cache in the correct spot. NE it should be and the page wants to input it as NW... I will try again today. Our GPS got stolen on our last cache find in Banff and now we are trying to use our cell phone to get the points.

TTYL

Thank you,

Al2010

Hey, my wife and I just got back from your neck of the woods and we had a fabulous time! Check out some of my logs! Not sure I can help you with your concern but some of the folks on this forum are very smart and you'll quickly have a solution. Just wanted to agree that you live in a great area!

Glad you both enjoyed yourselves here. It is definitely a fun and full of life town. The sky is the limit here!! B)

I have done all of the above. My coordinates are not putting my cache in the correct spot. NE it should be and the page wants to input it as NW... I will try again today. Our GPS got stolen on our last cache find in Banff and now we are trying to use our cell phone to get the points.

TTYL

You should probably wait to publish a cache on the site until you have access to a dedicated GPS unit. However you can use this cache as one just for your daughter.

You also should NOT expect your coords to match any online mapping site's location exactly. Depending on the area Google/Yahoo/et al maps can be any were from spot on to 400+ feet off.

TTYL

You should probably wait to publish a cache on the site until you have access to a dedicated GPS unit. However you can use this cache as one just for your daughter.

You also should NOT expect your coords to match any online mapping site's location exactly. Depending on the area Google/Yahoo/et al maps can be any were from spot on to 400+ feet off.

Looks like that is what I am gonna have to do... Thank you very much for the advice.. It will be for just us.

Cheers!

TTYL

Use Google Earth to find your cache then grab the coords off Earth

This is a very poor idea.

Google Earth can be reasonably accurate, but for the most part it is not.

The guidelines state that a GPS must be used to hide (but not find) a geocache. Google Earth and other mapping software do not meet the guidelines.

Okay. Looks like you'll have to wait or borrow a GPS from a friend.

The guidelines state that a GPS must be used to hide (but not find) a geocache. Google Earth and other mapping software do not meet the guidelines.

I've gotten many of most successfully accurate coordinates from this site, http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Won't tell you which ones, but no one has complained about them, and a few are micros in the woods.

My coordinates are not putting my cache in the correct spot. NE it should be and the page wants to input it as NW...

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the coordinates are showing on your phone/GPS as, say, 51 degrees North and XXX degrees East? I don't think there's anyplace in Canada where that would be correct.

If the East number is greater than 180 degrees, try subtracting 180 and using that. But you need to account for the minutes part, too, which means subtracting in base 60, so it's not really that easy.

If you PM me with the coordinates that you are trying to use, I'll see if I can convert them to something that makes sense for you.

I've gotten many of most successfully accurate coordinates from this site, http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Won't tell you which ones, but no one has complained about them, and a few are micros in the woods.

That doesn't change the fact that the guidelines state that you must visit the site with a GPS to obtain the coordinates for a hide.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#technical

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

My coordinates are not putting my cache in the correct spot. NE it should be and the page wants to input it as NW...

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the coordinates are showing on your phone/GPS as, say, 51 degrees North and XXX degrees East? I don't think there's anyplace in Canada where that would be correct.

If the East number is greater than 180 degrees, try subtracting 180 and using that. But you need to account for the minutes part, too, which means subtracting in base 60, so it's not really that easy.

If you PM me with the coordinates that you are trying to use, I'll see if I can convert them to something that makes sense for you.

Agreed. I'd like to see those coordinates as well. I'm not sure if this is a misunderstanding, or if they are in a different format.

That doesn't change the fact that the guidelines state that you must visit the site with a GPS to obtain the coordinates for a hide.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#technical

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

I'm know, I'm a rebel.