I've lost a cache

GeekKitty

I've lost one of my geocaches.

It's a magnetic nano, that should be stuck under a bench. People keep finding it and logging the find, but when I went today to replace the log, I couldn't find my own cache this is the second time in a month I have tried to replace the log, but couldn't find my own cache...

And people questioned why I had a diff 5 rating...

Anyone else had this problem?

J

It's often harder to find your own caches because you think you know where they are.

Email the last finder and ask them to describe exactly where it was when they found it

I already did, now I wait for the last finder to explain where they put it. It just made me smile that I had lost my own cache...

J

LMAO... I've heard of this before... even with the cache being replaced by the CO and original found later.

I found one of a friend's after several DNFs once, and I know that I'd looked where it was... I have a photo of the cache not there... but then it was next time I looked. I also saw a "muggle" leave GZ and later walk past me, as I tried to look natural. I've seen the muggle near other caches. My theory is that the person I saw is one of us, and had found the cache as I arrived... so walked off with it planning to return it.... I was still there when they came back. If I'm right, this person doesn't log caches as I've checked 3 logs in caches I've seen them near. Maybe your cache was away for a walk until GZ was clear again?

I'm with dfx though... I'd log the DNF!

We were one of the people who suggested that your 5* diffrat may be a little high. The ones we found were simply nano's under benches and whilst some folks might find them difficult, in our experience, even with high muggle activity, it is questionable that they are 5*. The reason we said that the diffrat may be too high is because some cachers will filter out high diffrat caches and that you could be missing out on potential finders. They are your caches though and if you think they warrant a 5*, 5* it is.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't find one though and I hope it turns up soon....they aren't cheap! If it was one of the ones we found recently, contact us and we will tell you where we found it. I know there was one which we found on the floor but I think we mentioned that in the log.

Good luck.

We were one of the people who suggested that your 5* diffrat may be a little high. The ones we found were simply nano's under benches and whilst some folks might find them difficult, in our experience, even with high muggle activity, it is questionable that they are 5*. The reason we said that the diffrat may be too high is because some cachers will filter out high diffrat caches and that you could be missing out on potential finders. They are your caches though and if you think they warrant a 5*, 5* it is.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't find one though and I hope it turns up soon....they aren't cheap! If it was one of the ones we found recently, contact us and we will tell you where we found it. I know there was one which we found on the floor but I think we mentioned that in the log.

Good luck.

I have lowered the difficulty of the rest of the series, but until I can locate this one myself, I will leave it at a 5* :P

Would you mind contacting me privately to say where you put the cache, you were the last person to mention in the logs that it was on the floor.

Thanks

J

Good luck.

I have lowered the difficulty of the rest of the series, but until I can locate this one myself, I will leave it at a 5* :P

Would you mind contacting me privately to say where you put the cache, you were the last person to mention in the logs that it was on the floor.

Thanks

J

Ahhh, so it was that one? Will do, on its way. :)

I go visit mine every day and its always in a different spot, i just get on my hands and knees and look under all the magnetic parts of the fence. I find it eventually

Why cant they put it back where they find it

Makes my GPS coord's look shameful :D

I think with nanos, sometimes in the excitement of finding the cache people forget EXACTLY which spot they found it in!

Well I went to cache location, had a dadgum good rummage based on the information provided by thehoomer, but alas, still can't find it. But seeing as people are still finding the cache, I have reenabled the listing...

Will keep the 5* rating, if the cache owner can't locate it...

J

Well I went to cache location, had a dadgum good rummage based on the information provided by thehoomer, but alas, still can't find it. But seeing as people are still finding the cache, I have reenabled the listing...

Will keep the 5* rating, if the cache owner can't locate it...

J

""If you find the cache, please relocate it to exactly the place indicated by the hint, and then let me know in your log that you have done so.""

what hint exactly??

disable and replace please, this is encouraging 'odd' logging....

""If you find the cache, please relocate it to exactly the place indicated by the hint, and then let me know in your log that you have done so.""

what hint exactly??

disable and replace please, this is encouraging 'odd' logging....

I am confused where the hint went, it was there when I set it, and other cachers have commented about following the hint to find the cache.

I am not going to replace it, as then we will have two containers in the area which will lead to confusion, and potentially wasted trips of me going to refil the logs of the replacement when it was the original found.

People are finding the cache without my help, I just wish that I could find my own cache, all I wanted to do was replace the logbook...

J

I've had this happen with a couple of my caches - and they aren't nanos but small containers. Got a couple of DNFs so went to look and couldn't find them. Thought they'd gone so made up new ones - one was remarkably back in it's rightful place when I went back to replace it a couple of hours later. The other was found by the next finders who found both the old and the new ones - about 20 feet apart.

Some caches do seem to go walk about - there's a nano on a bridge nearby - speaking to other local cachers (because it took me 8 attempts to find it) they'd all found it in a different place, it seems to travel along the bridge and back again all the time.

It's a magnetic nano, that should be stuck under a bench. People keep finding it and logging the find, but when I went today to replace the log, I couldn't find my own cache this is the second time in a month I have tried to replace the log, but couldn't find my own cache...

J

FOUND IT!

With the help of those who found the cache recently I was able to locate the cache, change the log book, and put it back in the place it should go.

Phew.

Picture to celebrate:

OTB_V_sm.jpg

J

I placed a new cache as an addition to our circular series. The new cache was a Camo'd tube with one of those press down and twist childproof lids. Everything was fine and then I had 3 DNF's in quick succession so went out for a look. They were right I couldnt find my cache either so immediately placed an easy to open tupperware tub. Everything was then fine again although I started noticing that many of the finds were mentioning that they struggled with the childproof lid!!!...So where had that gone? Why couldnt I find it? Where is the tub?. All very mysterious.

J

FOUND IT!

With the help of those who found the cache recently I was able to locate the cache, change the log book, and put it back in the place it should go.

Phew.

J

Did you log the find? I'd say you deserve it!

Don't forget to post an owners maintenance log to remove the needs maintenance icon, visitors may well ignore it if they think it has a problem.

I did, was the first thing I did when I got home.

J

I think you have renabled it, after it was disabled, you also need to add an owner's maintenance log. Just in case we are talking different caches I was looking at Off the Bench IV http://coord.info/GC1ZA1X

You will see in the attributes a red box with a white cross, still appears. :D

I think you have renabled it, after it was disabled, you also need to add an owner's maintenance log. Just in case we are talking different caches I was looking at Off the Bench IV http://coord.info/GC1ZA1X

You will see in the attributes a red box with a white cross, still appears. :D

Actually we're talking about another in the series, Off the Bench V, but thank you for pointing that out, I had found IV and replaced the log at the same time as trying to fix V, but hadn't cleared the needs maintainence tag.

Thanks

J

I own a Nemesis Cache. I can never find the d.a.m.n thing when I go looking for it and it's not a nano, its a good sized box tied to a tree. It can not wander, it can not drift, it can not be found by the cache owner. :rolleyes: And it needs a maintenance visit as it is, apparently, sticky inside after someone left a lolly in there.

Most of my caches I can find without a GPS as I simply know where they are. I think this one and one other in the same series are the only two I own where I have to search for them like any other cacher would.