Find Count Removed From Logs?

Darren V

Yup, part of their "fix" to get the website performance back to usable :rolleyes:

I for one really appreciate seeing how many finds cachers have that log finds on my caches. I see no value in seeing avatars of those who log a find, the smiley face was just fine. Quit trying to be a social network and get back to the basics. Who found the cache, when they found it and their log of the find

We are getting so frustrated with all of the changes. We don't care about the avatars appearing on the cache page (so far they're all blank, so what's the point). We are very happy that the dates are back - thank you! But now the find counts have disappeared. PLEASE bring them back and leave the logs alone - they were just fine the way they were.

Yup, part of their "fix" to get the website performance back to usable :rolleyes:

I for one really appreciate seeing how many finds cachers have that log finds on my caches. I see no value in seeing avatars of those who log a find, the smiley face was just fine. Quit trying to be a social network and get back to the basics. Who found the cache, when they found it and their log of the find

Amen! I'm on dialup at the cottage and the download is just too much with all the new garbage on the cachepage. I just want to log my caches and upload a photo FGS...

Exactly. We (for 2 more) liked it the way it was. If I want social networking, I sure won't do it on Geocache ... :(

I'm fine with not seeing everybody's find count. If you want to know how many finds someone has, just click their username and look at their profile!

I think Gof even wanted them removed from there. Don't think I would log into the forums if that was implemented. But I kind like the find count in the logs. I have a guard rail hide that gets a lot of DNF's from the under 200 find folks, and I do not mean this in a derogatory manner, it is just what I observed. I tend to ignore those DNF's. If I get a couple from the over 1,000 finds folks then I probably schedule a check. Having the count right there in the log saves a bunch of clicking.

I'm fine with not seeing everybody's find count. If you want to know how many finds someone has, just click their username and look at their profile!

I think Gof even wanted them removed from there. Don't think I would log into the forums if that was implemented. But I kind like the find count in the logs. I have a guard rail hide that gets a lot of DNF's from the under 200 find folks, and I do not mean this in a derogatory manner, it is just what I observed. I tend to ignore those DNF's. If I get a couple from the over 1,000 finds folks then I probably schedule a check. Having the count right there in the log saves a bunch of clicking.

Yup. How many finds I have is nobody's business but my own.

the find count has some value in the log as its a snapshot. Sure, you have 4600 finds for example when you log the cache, but its nice to know what cache # find that was. Was it your first find? Some folks log all their caches with a parentheses with the cache # find at the end for that reason, so they know what find that was for them, for whatever reason they do that for.

I am not saying the cache pages should or should not have that number, but there is value to that (number) field to a lot of cachers out there. If you look back at a cache years from now, your find count then does not reflect your finds when you actually logged it. I think it interesting to read cache logs when I know its their first find or so..and not just when a cacher only logs 1 find and then quits, perhaps that 1 find because 4600 years later!

Edited by lamoracke

Simple solution, don't log them on the website. Keep a spreadsheet of your own if you like. Problem solved.

Simple solution, don't log them on the website. Keep a spreadsheet of your own if you like. Problem solved.

GSAK works best. Still would be nice if they would allow you to toggle your count off. Especially since they've put so many added features for the numbers people recently. And this is an easy request.

I think he pretty well does. Haven't looked at Gof's find count, have you?

I blame the mild heat stroke from hanging out all day at my cache for Going APE All Over Again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (No I didn't look, like a noob.) That being said I don't see why it would matter to him if he doesn't log them. Why take away something others enjoy. (For my full opinion, see the last page of the topic about Challenges counting as finds. Most of what I said there applies to this).

Edit for spelling

Edited by Hypnopaedia

I blame the mild heat stroke from hanging out all day at my cache for Going APE All Over Again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (No I didn't look, like a noob.) That being said I don't see why it would matter to him if he doesn't log them. Why take away something others enjoy. (For my full opinion, see the last page of the topic about Challenges counting as finds. Most of what I said there applies to this).

Edit for spelling

Because if it was possible to opt out of your silly numbers game I could take better advantage of other features on the site. Like keeping my found caches out of my PQs.

Edit for spelling

Because if it was possible to opt out of your silly numbers game I could take better advantage of other features on the site. Like keeping my found caches out of my PQs.

One thing

Why is the "numbers game" inherently silly? Do you think all people who find numbers > meaningless are the same?

Edited by Hypnopaedia

I'm with GOF. Stats bring more pain than gain.

The find counts were always there, and had some value.

The avatars are the new part, and require a lot more bandwidth to download.

I would think that means the slowness is due to the avatars, not the find counts.

I'd rather see the find counts, and really don't care about the avatars. The page was easier to read without them.