International Geocaching Day Question: DNF

I'm not entirely sure where to put this question in the forum, who to ask, or how to contact them, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

I was wondering about the souvenir for the International Geocaching day. To make a long story short, I went after a quick PG near my house, hoping to celebrate the day, introduce a friend to the excitement of finding a cache, and receive my second souvenir. Upon investigation, it turns out that the pay phone the cache was hidden in was taken down on July 2nd. Bummed out, exhausted, and out of time (after a 12 hour work day) I logged a DNF, and the cache was later archived. Will I receive a souvenir for the effort?

Just curious... Better luck next year :)

Nope, you are not rewarded for your effort, only a find.

Just fyi, sometimes for special days like this or challenge caches, a Plan B can be very helpful! I found out that someone working on one of my challenge caches always had a back-up plan, just in case Plan A failed (the cache could not be found).

In fact, I had ONE cache planned for yesterday, just so we could get the IGD souvenir. We unintentionally left the area without finding the cache, so we had to quickly come up with Plan B and find a different one. Those things happen!

I'm not entirely sure where to put this question in the forum, who to ask, or how to contact them, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

I was wondering about the souvenir for the International Geocaching day. To make a long story short, I went after a quick PG near my house, hoping to celebrate the day, introduce a friend to the excitement of finding a cache, and receive my second souvenir. Upon investigation, it turns out that the pay phone the cache was hidden in was taken down on July 2nd. Bummed out, exhausted, and out of time (after a 12 hour work day) I logged a DNF, and the cache was later archived. Will I receive a souvenir for the effort?

Interesting point! I think you should get the souvenir for getting out there after a 12 hour work day. We didn't even know about the event until last night and fortunately had stopped off to grab a find for a puzzle we had solved awhile back. It's a shame that you probably won't get the souvenir after embracing the day while we just happened to make a lucky grab without even knowing of the event. If there was a way to give you ours, we would. :)

LOL!

the people that found a cache didn't get the souvenir so why would someone that didn't find one get it?

Here's what the Groundspeak newsletter says:

International Geocaching Day

This Saturday, August 20th is the first International Geocaching Day! You can celebrate with fellow geocachers at an event near you or simply mark the day by finding a geocache. Anyone who finds a cache or logs an "attended" for an event will receive the International Geocaching Day souvenir. If you are in the Seattle area, we hope you will be celebrating International Geocaching Day with us at the annual Geocaching Block Party.

So, yes, I am assuming that the intention was for caches that were "found" on that day to be eligible for the souvenir, whenever it's created and awarded.

We went out with a list of 5 caches. DNF'ed 1, didn't look for 1, found 3.

Wow, someone actually cares about the souvenirs? Who knew? That's pretty cool then.

But I bet if you really really want it you can find a cache today and backdate your find. I haven't logged any of my caching activity from Saturday, and might not get to it for another day or three.

Edited by wimseyguy

Interesting point! I think you should get the souvenir for getting out there after a 12 hour work day. We didn't even know about the event until last night and fortunately had stopped off to grab a find for a puzzle we had solved awhile back. It's a shame that you probably won't get the souvenir after embracing the day while we just happened to make a lucky grab without even knowing of the event. If there was a way to give you ours, we would. :)

Aww, thanks for the thought!

It's not that I'm angry or mad that I won't get the souvenir or anything lol. I was just curious about it. I think the souvenirs are kind of like an added bonus of niftyness. :) I just thought it would be neat to have one in celebration of the first International Geocaching Day. I celebrated the day by looking, and I have some pretty great memories with one of my friends because of it. That's really all that matters to me :)

The hamsters responsible for creating the souvenirs were too tired after working all weekend trying to keep the site up after it was overloaded with challenges. Once they rest up a bit and grab a few bites of food pellets, they'll be able to come up with something for us.

What day was International Geocaching Day? I usually just log all my finds on the current date, rather then the correct one, due to the fact I have a backlog of caches. But I have been caching the last three days and want to know when it was?

Do you get the weekly newsletter?

June 22nd newsletter was, I think, the first mention of the Block Party and International Geocaching Day:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/06/Groundspeak-weekly-newsletter-june-22-2011/

August 3rd newsletter:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/08/Groundspeak-weekly-newsletter-august-3-2011/

The newsletter of August 18th doesn't seem to be in the archives on the Latitude 47 site. It's the one that stated:

International Geocaching Day

This Saturday, August 20th is the first International Geocaching Day! You can celebrate with fellow geocachers at an event near you or simply mark the day by finding a geocache. Anyone who finds a cache or logs an "attended" for an event will receive the International Geocaching Day souvenir. If you are in the Seattle area, we hope you will be celebrating International Geocaching Day with us at the annual Geocaching Block Party.

Just fyi, sometimes for special days like this or challenge caches, a Plan B can be very helpful! I found out that someone working on one of my challenge caches always had a back-up plan, just in case Plan A failed (the cache could not be found).

In fact, I had ONE cache planned for yesterday, just so we could get the IGD souvenir. We unintentionally left the area without finding the cache, so we had to quickly come up with Plan B and find a different one. Those things happen!

Yes, indeed, a Plan B is a must. I always have a small inventory of nearby, seemingly easy caches to find just for situations like this. It's very handy with my current goal of finding a cache on every day of the year. Come Dec., there are a couple of weeks where I need one each day--stockpiling already for that.