themed geocache: rubber duckies/ thank you all for the help!

Hi everyone! Before I begin the whole point of this post, I'd like to thank everyone. I'm a newbie, but I'm already addicted. I'm excited that I've already gotten a few people hooked, (and encouraged them to support the site!) I've asked a few questions in the forums, and everyone has been so nice and helpful. I think it's really great that everyone is so helpful and encouraging of newcomers. I also love the idea of meeting others through events. I've seen comments with mention of negativity, but I have yet to personally experience any. I think I've settled into a hobby with a very welcoming community :)

That all being said, I collect rubber duckies. I love that like geocaches, rubber duckies come in all different shapes, sizes, designs, and colors, and you really don't know WHERE you'll end up finding one. I don't exactly have the most accurate geocaching equipment yet, (hoping for Christmas!) so I don't feel comfortable hiding a geocache yet. However, I was wondering for when I am comfortable, if people would be interested in a rubber ducky themed geocache. Other trade items would be acceptable, but the main idea would be rubber duckies of any size (from regular size bath tub toys down to the micro "Feelin' Ducky" brand quarter machine ones), and related items such as stickers, buttons, patches, magnets, etc etc. I don't know too many people that collect rubber duckies, so I don't have anyone to trade duplicates with. I was thinking that if people were interested, this would be a great way to combine two of my favorite hobbies, since finding a new rubber ducky has the similar excitement of "Hey!! I found one!" that finding a geocache has for me. Obviously it would have to be a bigger container to accommodate the bigger rubber duckies. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, concerns, advice, etc.

I love your username and I love the rubber duck themed cache. I think it's a great idea. Be sure to use an ammo can or large cache container.

Now to the bad news: be prepared for your cache to contain no duck-themed items after some time. Just because you ask for duck-trades, doesn't mean people will comply, so after a while you may end up with no duck-related items in the cache at all. That's OK.. you can still add some and encourage others to trade. I just wanted to make sure you realize this may happen.

I saw swim for it!

Themed caches add an extra dimension to the whole sport for me. I like them; perhaps others do also. You can't be sure that everyone else will be a fan of your theme, so you will likely have cachers who don't leave swag at all or leave swag unrelated to your theme. However, that should not deter you from placing an interesting cache that will be found and enjoyed by your local community. Good luck. PS. You are wise to wait to place your cache until you have an accurate GPSr. Maybe a local cacher who has a reliable one would be willing to go out with you and help you to get an accurate reading.

Looks as if Max and I were posting about the same time. Hence the almost duplicate ideas.

Edited by wigoweb

I love your username and I love the rubber duck themed cache. I think it's a great idea. Be sure to use an ammo can or large cache container.

Now to the bad news: be prepared for your cache to contain no duck-themed items after some time. Just because you ask for duck-trades, doesn't mean people will comply, so after a while you may end up with no duck-related items in the cache at all. That's OK.. you can still add some and encourage others to trade. I just wanted to make sure you realize this may happen.

I saw swim for it!

Hahaha, thank you! I'm really short in comparison to all of my friends, (I'm 5'3 1/2 compared to the majority of my friends being 5'10 to 6'7) hence the nickname shorty. And I'm directionally challenged, so after being told, "Wrong way, Shorty!" so many times, they just started calling me that lol! I can get lost with a GPS btw... I still maintain that it was NOT my fault, but it's held against me nonetheless lol.

I appreciate the advice! I figure I'll definately get nonduck trades. Especially because if you're like me, you carry a pouch of trade items (that most likely don't contain rubber duckies) and cache on the go whenever you're out and about. I'm hoping that if I put it close enough to my house that I can keep a regular eye on it, I might be able to be consistent in encouraging the theme. How good of a seal does a small(ish) storage container have? Would that keep everything dry?

I had to laugh at thinking swim for it. My brother is stationed in Georgia, and is realllllly into treasure hunting, scavenger hunts, hiking, metal detecting, etc. I introduced him to the idea of geocaching yesterday, and he went out immediately (and even found two!) He talked with a friend who used to geocache in California, and already has an idea for a (in my opinion) pretty extreme geocache. It was something about a bridge, being suspended under water held by a weight, only being able to get to it at certain times of the year, and using a laser light to hit a mirror.... I don't even know lol. All I could say was, "dadgum dude... that's pretty extreme. I guess you really are getting into this." The problem for me is that I live in Michigan, where the water is ice cold (or frozen) approx 9 months out of the year. I was considering taking advantage of all of the roads named after lakes though. I really wish I lived closer to Duck Lake Rd lol. That would be perfect. I just don't live close enough to keep an eye on it.

Themed caches add an extra dimension to the whole sport for me. I like them; perhaps others do also. You can't be sure that everyone else will be a fan of your theme, so you will likely have cachers who don't leave swag at all or leave swag unrelated to your theme. However, that should not deter you from placing an interesting cache that will be found and enjoyed by your local community. Good luck. PS. You are wise to wait to place your cache until you have an accurate GPSr. Maybe a local cacher who has a reliable one would be willing to go out with you and help you to get an accurate reading.

Looks as if Max and I were posting about the same time. Hence the almost duplicate ideas.

Ooooh! That's a good idea! Now I need to meet some local cachers to ask :) Lucky for me, Michigan cachers seem to LOVE getting together, which I think is really nifty. I'm really excited about combining two of my hobbies lol. I really hope that others in the area enjoy the idea as much as I do.

This is all absolutely fantastic! Thank you, everyone, for the links and the suggestions/advice/input. I'm getting the feeling that I'm really going to have to do this cache when I get more accurate tools! I love that there are so many others that like rubber duckies as much as I do. (I usually get teased for my collection lol.)