Adopting a cache

Team Dralasites

We emailed the owner of a certain cache about adopting one of his caches. He has agreed to let us take over the maintenance of the cache, since he has moved out of the area.

The question is: What's the best way of handing over ownership of a cache?

One obvious way is to deprecate the old cache, and just create a new one with the same coordinates. Is there a better way? It's got a very low cache wp number (double digits!), so it would be neat to keep the wp designation the same.

Both you and the original owner should E-mail contact@geocaching.com with the waypoint ID and name of the cache stating that you are to adopt it and ownership should be transferred to you. Once that happens, you will be able to edit the cache listing and when some clicks on the option to see the cache owner's profile they'll see yours. However the text that says who owns the cache will still be whatever it reads at the time the cache is switched. You can edit it. On the cache I adopted, I left the handle of the original hider and added the names of our team members. Most of the original concept was good and was kept, so I wanted to honor that cacher by retaining credit to him.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching