Getting ready to send first trackable

Woodduckdawg

I think I am ready to release my first trackable into the world. I picked up an unactivated geocoin recently and have now activated it, I just haven't put it in a cache for someone else to get and send worldly.

Question: Is there a technique to keeping the code on the trackable from smearing or becoming erased in the elements? I used a Sharpie pen on the plastic coin holder, but fear it will eventually erase. Should I use a better pen or computer printed code attached to the coin.

Just another noob question.....

It is a geocoin with a code printed on it. So you are saying that after I activate it, the coin and the code printed on the coin is all another needs to use for tracking purposes?I'm confused because on the package there is a place to write an additional code, and I figured one would need it for logging reasons.

Thanks for the input.

So you are saying that after I activate it, the coin and the code printed on the coin is all another needs to use for tracking purposes?

Yes. The space on the package is just to write the code that's already on the coin for redundancy, for the truly lazy who can't be bothered to flip the package open to look at the coin. You can leave it blank. Make them work for the code.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

The tracking code is the one on the coin, that's the only code the coin needs to travel with. I usually make a laminated card to fit in the coin holder with the coin's mission or goal and write the tracking number clearly on here as well if it is a little small on the coin. I also keep a note of the tracking numbers (and activation codes) in a book, and write them both on the little card that came with the coin with the coin's name. As the coin's owner, you will be able to see the tracking number on its page, others can only see it on the coin, so can log their finds when they find it.

The other number or word, the activation code you type in to activate the coin on geocaching.com, is only for you, the owner, to use. Keep a note of each coin's activation code for your own use, in case you decide to adopt a coin later on, or some issue comes up over ownership.

The other thing you need to have to set the coin free is the right attitude. :lol: It might go missing, it might get stuck in a cache for months, it might travel all over the place with just one person for some time. Although it is still technically yours, you don't have control over it (although you might be able to influence some of its movements with polite requests.)

Your geocoin, Civil War Geocoin #2 Manassas , has been correctly activated - I can see it listed on your profile.

You might like to add a photgraph of the coin to the page before you put it into a cache: If there are any queries about it later on in its life it's always useful if cachers can see what it looks like from the home page.

If you need to refer to your geocoin in a 'public' place (like these forums or in a cache log) use its public reference number TB2YQ2H - don't use the tracking number which is engraved on the coin itself. The public reference number allows anyone to look at your coin's home page (and add a Note log there if they want to) but it can't be used to make any retrieve/dropped off logs - Those logs can only be done using the tracking number.

Your coin doesn't need anything other than its tracking number, it's now all ready to be placed into a cache. Many geocoins travel without any kind of slip case but other owners like to leave the case on to give some protection. It might be an idea to put a small note into the slip case saying something like, "This geocoin belongs to (name) and it's travelling from cache to cache. It is NOT a swag item."... but it's up to you.

I hope it travels safely for you. Good luck.

MrsB :)

If there is already a code on the coin, don't add another or anybody else who gets it will have access to the coins page.

And they're not supposed to access the page?

I should have been clearer. I was referring to the ownership page where you can change preferences and such.

If there is already a code on the coin, don't add another or anybody else who gets it will have access to the coins page.

I should have been clearer. I was referring to the ownership page where you can change preferences and such.

Neither the tracking nor reference code lets a user change the preferences. Only the owner of the bug can do that.

Neither the tracking nor reference code lets a user change the preferences. Only the owner of the bug can do that.

I stand corrected.

Thx for the clarification!