Does GC.com seem to be running slowly

TK7464

Questions:

Who knows who runs Geocaching.com?

Is it privately held?

Now, I don't want to make any accusations, because I'm the first to admit

I don't know much about the organization.

But it seems they are ALWAYS breaking down.

Look at how many members are paid and do the math.

My calculations are that they should be swimming in cash.

Why can't they add servers to make the site run smoothly?

Do we know how much goes to payroll and how much goes to hardware,

software maintenance?

<_<

Questions:

Who knows who runs Geocaching.com?

geocaching.com is run by Groundspeak, Inc.

Is it privately held?

Yes. It is privately held.

Now, I don't want to make any accusations, because I'm the first to admit

I don't know much about the organization.

But it seems they are ALWAYS breaking down.

They are doing much better now than they were a few years ago.

Look at how many members are paid and do the math.

My calculations are that they should be swimming in cash.

Why can't they add servers to make the site run smoothly?

I don't know how many premium members there are, so I can't do the math. But the estimates I have in my head are that premium memberships can't even start to pay for the staff they have, let alone servers and bandwidth. I don't believe premium memberships are their primary source of revenue. But that's only my opinion; since they are privately held, they do not release these numbers.

I don't know how many premium members there are, so I can't do the math. But the estimates I have in my head are that premium memberships can't even start to pay for the staff they have, let alone servers and bandwidth. I don't believe premium memberships are their primary source of revenue. But that's only my opinion; since they are privately held, they do not release these numbers.

The very conservative estimates I have in my head are that premium memberships more than pay for the staff they have as well as servers and bandwidth. I don't think they're hurting at all.

The very conservative estimates I have in my head are that premium memberships more than pay for the staff they have as well as servers and bandwidth. I don't think they're hurting at all.

That was my impression as well. I was just looking at the "about us" page earlier, saying that they had over 40 employees. Then we did a quick estimate of what we think how many people they'd actually need for what they do. Between developers, designers, accountants, maintenance people and all that, we estimated 10 people tops. Maybe 15 with the mobile apps squad. Who knows what the rest of them are doing. :blink:

The avatars and other stuff they added is now gone and the site is working fine!!!

Yep. Seems someone there should know we don't need that silly stuff and be able to estimate the impact of the ill-conceived idea on the system. All we heard this past spring was more horses would fix the problems back then. Knowing horsepower is an issue w/ this site, why in the world would anyone approve these crazy unimprovements? :huh:

I have had problems with my droid after the last update. It worked great before. Now it takes for ever to load and I cant see the past logs at all. When I go to post a log it cant do it. I have to save it. Then it does post it later. Today I was trying to log my find and it wouldn't work. I checked it here and there was 3 posts of my find. I had to delete 2 of them. I hope they can get it back to how it was when I started. Worked great before.

The Challenges are ridiculous and probably seizing up the site. Either get rid of them or have each one reviewed. GH.

Put them on the Waymarking site or build their own web site but please get them off geocaching they have nothing to do with geocaching.

YES! I do completely agree with this!

I couldn't get on to the GC site either (in UK) Kept saying the server was busy. I think all 6 million geocachers were trying to log on at the same time but it continuned all day. I couldn't update my GPS it was extremely annoying. I waited till about 10pm and after several attempts logged two caches but that was a struggle. Sort this out please :)