Does GC.com seem to be running slowly

TK7464

SLOW that was this morning... it's FULL STOP now. with the message at GC.com The Service is unavailable - Server is too busy. knew that geocaching was a popular activity on weekends, must be all those extra Geocaching Day logs.... (or those stupid challenges - ya not a fan how that was implemented) SITE DOWN!

I have been having problems since the update Thursday. If I do get on I lose the connection when I go to a new page. It seems they are trying to much. Who really needs to know that a cache was found in Belgium 12 minutes ago. If I want to see your avetar I will go to your profile. This is not, or should not, try to be a social networking site. Please bring back the very solid old web that let us search for caches and log them when we found them.

This is just what I keep getting...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Same here and not the first time. This time it wont end being slow! :mad:

I really dont unterstand this! GC is making millions of Dollars and are just not able to offer an adequate server farm!?! They can track the user growth so they can expand the required hardware environment. Furthermore they shouldn't offer half baken stuff like Challenges rather than fixing serious existing problems and keep up the system running!

This really p... me off and I paid for it!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Same here and not the first time. This time it wont end being slow! :mad:

I really dont unterstand this! GC is making millions of Dollars and are just not able to offer an adequate server farm!?! They can track the user growth so they can expand the required hardware environment. Furthermore they shouldn't offer half baken stuff like Challenges rather than fixing serious existing problems and keep up the system running!

This really p... me off and I paid for it!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in...

There's been a history of the site being a bit slower on the weekends but i haven't noticed this too much in the past year or so. It seems like the update the other day was the start of slowness for me. Actually, now that i think about it,,, this slowness seems to come many times when they perform an update to the site. Updates are good, once or twice a year, but it sure gets old having to experience the slowness, then on top of that, have to get use to a new look and how everything works again every month or two.

Groundspeak,, get the bugs out of this one and then please, just let us enjoy the site some before changing things up again.

Still no progress - unable to complete logging yesterday's finds, the last few hours it has been completely offline. This really is not good enough for a paid for service. I do wonder whether these ridiculous 'challenges' and all the additional page graphics are the cause.

Edited by Phil and Sue

I remember another day awhile ago when gc.com came to a screeching halt--hmmm, let me think--ah yes! It was 10/10/10, when they released the first souvenir, and they "challenged" the caching community to set a record of number of people to log a cache in one day. Cachers succeeded in breaking the record, and in (temporarily) breaking the website. Yesterday was the first international caching day, so now there are probably lots and lots of people trying to log their finds and get their souvi. Be patient! They'll get it fixed.

(Funnily enough, the Challenge app seems to be working! :lol: )

Ever since the update Thursday, it has been running very slow during the day time hours. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get on, sometimes screen goes blank, sometimes I get messager server down, etc.. etc...

Seems like it is faster at night and I can log everything then. But I agree with everyone else, these challenges are not Geo Caches and should be on there own website like the way marks. If you want to do them great, but don't slow down the Geo Cache side for them.

Also, I did 3 challenges so far with out even having to leave my desk, whats that good for? And then they don't get added in with your statistics # but they do get added in on your profile page as a total. So do I have #268 Finds / Challenges or Do I Have #265 Finds. See the delima. Two differrent #'s If you want us to embrace the challenges make them more like the virtuals were and make them count towards statistics. Better yet, Just bring back the Virtuals in there truest sense.

I think they need a better server to handle all the new "features"...

More servers... (GC com does have more than one server... for sure ;) )

Bring it on! More iron, more workhorses, more servers, more, more!

;)

Less of these "silly" services and back to the game and "valued" services, less ads, party's, videos, etc. that FEW people use often. They ARE the only game in town right now however much more of this GARBAGE and another game will take advantage and bye bye GS.....cool.gif

Tell those hamsters I am coming for them!

Yes the site is running slow here too.

I remember circa 2005-2006 when this happened every Sunday because everyone would log on Sunday nights after a weekend full of caching.

We learned to run PQ's of Friday and log on Mondays. First time this has happened since the complete shutdown from the server room fire awhile ago. This probably has everything to do with yesterdays International Geocaching Day. Give 'em a break B)

Rest assured, your location isn't the issue. It isn't their network or yours. This forum server and the main server are on the same subnet and you can get to this fairly quickly and easily.

<technobabble>

It seems the problem has little to do with the actual geocaching web server or the IIS threads themselves. It seems more likely that the ASP thread pool is what is having the issue (either directly or indirectly due to some underlying backend issue (e.g. self-imposed database issue (missing index, resource contention, etc), storage, firewall bandwidth between the front end web servers and the back end servers, etc.))

For example, static URLs such as: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/footer/FAQ_Media.pdf respond VERY quickly.

Anything ending with an .aspx is hanging miserably.

All that said, If I were a betting man, since WAP and my iPhone app seem to be working ok during all this, I would lean away the back-end and towards the ASP threads on the server. That's my best guess based on no real information on how they are configured. :laughing:

</technobabble>

Edited by Cryptosporidium-623

Tried to upload filed notes this am and just now...timed out.

On vacation...not good!! :anibad:

Got a smartphone? Get the geocaching app at your App Store, it works fine when the rest of the site doesn't!

It may not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS but it will keep you caching while on vacation.

Did just that today. AT&T has that $0.00 w/ two year again. Picked up a focus.

My other 2/3rds paid for and installed the Groundspeak app, but it timed out too. Kinda works, but right now I'm a "guest."

Maybe the next crash will better... :rolleyes:

Earlier this morning, logging in took a while but everything else worked fine. Now I logged in OK, but everything else is slow. Hmmm...

EDIT: Now I got a message saying "The service is unavailable. Server too busy" Is anyone else seeing this?

Edited by phillies26