"nearest placenames" - where is this data from?

gbod

Hello!

I was wondering if anybody knows where the data comes from when you "also download nearest placenames?" I would like to get info like this for places that aren't necessarily near a cache. Is there a public database than one can access?

For $25 you can get a database of 1.5 million USA placenames from www.mapopolis.com. The database includes the name, address, phone number, and waypoint. Here are some of the categories in the database:

Amusement

Banks

Bars

Drug Stores

Food Stores

Gas Stations

General Merchandise

Government

Hotels

Libraries

Movies

Museums

Post Office

Public Safety

Religious

Restaurants, African

Restaurants, Asian

Restaurants, Bars

Restaurants, Coffee

Restaurants, Deli

Restaurants, European

Restaurants, Family

Restaurants, Fast Food

Restaurants, Franchise

Restaurants, Ice Cream

Restaurants, Miscellaneous

Restaurants, North American

Restaurants, Seafood

Restaurants, South American

Restaurants, Steak

Transportation

I have tools, pgpdb2txt.c and a companion wrapper script "geo-pg", that will convert these database files into text or into any of the formats that GpsBabel supports. These tools should run on any Linux/Unix system. I have no connection to Mapopolis other than as a customer.

Google on geo-pg or pgpdb2txt to find these.

-Rick

What I would like is a website that I could enter my current coords, and then what I wanted to find, such as a Starbucks, and have it give me a list of waypoints. I could have used this yesterday while I was in Sacramento... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

That data is available in the database...

$ geo-pg -n Starbucks -otxt sacramentocaggm.pdb

Restaurants, Coffee|Starbucks Coffee Co|421 Pioneer Ave|Woodland CA 95776|5304060898|38.36783|-121.80301|

Restaurants, Coffee|Starbucks Coffee|4424 Freeport Blvd|Sacramento CA 95822|9164512747|38.29759|-121.67666|

[sNIP]

However, I'm quite sure that republishing it on a website would require more than the $25 fee to license the data for personal use.

-Rick

I checked the census site and explored the TIGER files. I don't think it's the data set being used. I was unable to find campsites, radio towers, valleys, etc. that ARE downloaded with the nearest placenames. The census data seems to be more concerened with political and population boundaries, etc. than radio towers or geographic features. Pehaps I'm not looking deep enough though!

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

That's what I get for relying on memory. I'm sure it's one of the government data sets, but I probably guessed wrong and referenced the wrong bookmark. Try this one on for size:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/geonames/stategaz/index.html

Yes- this certainly could be it! Interestingly, it links to the census TIGER mapping feature if you want to map out your query result.

I'd be willing to bet that it's pulled out of the same place that they get the maps - the MapPoint server. In MapPoint 2002, you have an option under the Tools menu called "Find Nearby Places."

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

What I would like is a website that I could enter my current coords, and then what I wanted to find, such as a Starbucks, and have it give me a list of waypoints. I could have used this yesterday while I was in Sacramento... icon_wink.gif

My Legend does this - that data is included in the MapSource dataset. It's not always current, though. For instance, I was looking for a Starbucks (they should start paying Jeremy some advertising $$$ for all the mentions they get in the forums icon_wink.gif ) and they only had a few listed, none of which were where I was. We ended up finding one - if you drive for a mile on any major street, you'll come across one...

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php