"I'll pick you up a cache!"

Coldgears

I cant be the only one solicited for geocaching by family/friend's. People think that they can just sign my name like a souvenir and I can log a find. This has no happened once, but multiple times. My mom offered it to me when she went to North Carolina, my Sister on her trip to Alabama (I doubt she would've, she said Alabama was crap since the day she got out of Birmingham INTl.), my dad in Lousiana, my friend going to Florida, my Grandmom to Italy...

Omg, It's crazy how many people think they can just, "Pick me up a cache" as a souvenir.

Anyone else get these offers?

I cant be the only one solicited for geocaching by family/friend's. People think that they can just sign my name like a souvenir and I can log a find. This has no happened once, but multiple times. My mom offered it to me when she went to North Carolina, my Sister on her trip to Alabama (I doubt she would've, she said Alabama was crap since the day she got out of Birmingham INTl.), my dad in Lousiana, my friend going to Florida, my Grandmom to Italy...

Omg, It's crazy how many people think they can just, "Pick me up a cache" as a souvenir.

I thought you said your family wasn't into caching. Or was that skater?

No... but I have seen a Found log on a cache on one of the Scottish islands which said something like, "Our good friends (names) told us they were coming to (wherever) on holiday. We have told them all about geocaching so as they have a GPS they said they'd have a go at finding this cache. They said it was quite easy and they signed our name in the book as they don't want to start an account themselves."

:blink::D

(They were very new to Geocaching. I don't know if the CO deleted the log - and I can't remember which island it was to check back!)

MrsB :)

Once, but then I explained that this is not how it's supposed to work :P

It happened to me, too. Co-worker was going on vacation to Machu Picchu, and offered to drop off a Travel Bug whose mission was South America. He'd never found a cache before, wasn't signed up, the particular cache looked a little tricky and (from the photo gallery) looked VERY full of algae. And I just don't trust the guy to complete the task. I also think he was planning to not sign any name in the log, but still. There were so many things just plain wrong with the idea, I basically talked him out of it.

Edited by kunarion

So, does this mean that you have changed your ways?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269816&st=0&p=4639798

I rarely sign the logs of caches, I open them up, look at the contents and close them. I only sign them if there's a pen inside, so I almost never sign micro's.

I had friends who were going to another country and I told them to go find a cache because it was going to be in an awesome spot. I said place your name in the log book and say you aren't a cache but may grow up to be one someday.

Of course it had nothing about them findig it "for me" but it was fun to get a picture of my non-caching friends in a great location in another country participating in my hobby.

They are not cachers... and their first find turns out to be a great place to start :)

I did log a note against the cache....

No... but I have seen a Found log on a cache on one of the Scottish islands which said something like, "Our good friends (names) told us they were coming to (wherever) on holiday. We have told them all about geocaching so as they have a GPS they said they'd have a go at finding this cache. They said it was quite easy and they signed our name in the book as they don't want to start an account themselves."

:blink::D

MrsB :)

Read a log once where a cacher accompanied another cacher by IPhone. And claimed a find!

None of these posts surprise me. It reminds me so much of our Cub Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby. I'd ask some kids what their car looked like, and they'd say "I don't know. My dad made it!"

If you can't describe where the cache was and what it looked like, or anything to indicate you actually found it, don't log a find!

I thought you said your family wasn't into caching. Or was that skater?

That was me. Obviously my family doesn't go caching without me, so they've never offered.

I could get your name in a cache in Vancouver though, but it'll cost ya.

If I logged my finds, I'd take you up on it. ;)