Oh Hayle the Snail!

Earlier this year I posted about The Great Chicken Race and now Mrs ANDYBUG&LADYBIRD has done it again and decided that cross-stitch snails should race to Hayle in Cornwall where they will be holidaying next May.

If anyone wants to enter a cross-stitched snail into the race (which starts on 3rd September 2011) they can join the facebook group here: Oh Hayle the snail!

For those who don't do facebook but would still like to sew a snail and join the race, here are the Rules:

1 Snails are not to leave the UK.

2 The snail which has the most miles on it by the 11th May 2012 will be declared the winner. ANDYBUG&LADYBIRD are hoping some snails will arrive in Hayle by that date.

3 Snails can go to events.

4 Snails are not allowed "visits" to caches - Only "retrieved from" and "dropped off" logs will count.

5 If your snail has sat for a while (2 weeks min) then you are free to intervene to get it on the move again (either by yourself or by getting in touch with a cacher near to it).

6 Snails must not to be posted via Royal Mail or any other postal service.

7 Snails are to slime off on the 3rd September 2011 - where they start from is up to you.

8 No live snails are to be used...

MrsB

Snail-01-june.gif

Edited to avoid time-travelling snails.

Edited by The Blorenges

Would love to. I'll see if I can make up a design and make one up. Do they need to be a particular size?

No, but the chickens were mostly stitched to be roughly 6 x 4 cm. Some people mounted them in those mini acrylic frames you get in craft shops. If you look on the facebook page, and scroll down, there are a few chart designs you can use - or make up your own.

MrsB :)

Would love to. I'll see if I can make up a design and make one up. Do they need to be a particular size?

No, but the chickens were mostly stitched to be roughly 6 x 4 cm. Some people mounted them in those mini acrylic frames you get in craft shops. If you look on the facebook page, and scroll down, there are a few chart designs you can use - or make up your own.

I picked up some cheap (but smaller) little acrylic frames/keyrings so was hoping to use one of those. Will have to see if my eyesight will cope with a design that will fit in one! (Or just do something very simple.)

If you decide on using an acrylic frame, make sure it's not too fat with knots, etc. I know it was a bit of a squeeze to get my chicken securely inside her acrylic key tag, in the end I had to superglue her in!

Do the snails have to be cross-stitched? Or could they, for example, be beaded snails? If so, Mrs Milvus might be tempted... :)

A beaded snail? That sounds rather good to me but it's not "my" race or rules - I'll check with the Race Stewards and get back to you ;)

MrsB

Having consulted with the Snail Racing Authorities, I'm told that "all things snaily are welcome".

:)

Also...

Although the race starts on 3rd September late entrants will be accepted.

MrsB

Can we enter more than one snail per geocaching.com ID?

Yes, sure.

Mrs ANDYBUG&LADYBIRD, the well-know Chicken and Snail Racing impresario, has declared that any snaily TB can enter the race but we hope to keep its "crafty" theme. There are some cross-stitch snail patterns on the facebook page which can be used but beaded, knitted, crocheted, Fimoed or carved snails would all be acceptable. Maybe even an artistically drawn/painted snail.

Snails going to Hayle...

mbcn47l.jpg

MrsB

I am attempting a cross stitched one, but have chosen a very high thread count (so my snail will fit in a very small frame) resulting in stitches so small I can't see them! :rolleyes: I'll give it a few more days and then might resort to fimo/sculpey instead if I can work out how to attach a fimo object to the travel slug. :unsure:

They can start from anywhere you like within the UK.

As one of the rules is that they must stay within the UK, some people will attached an extra laminated tag to their snail to briefly explain the race mission.

MrsB

Edited to add:

Here's Sheldon, the first snail to get to the starting line.

faae797d-e0b2-4a17-bfe8-74b45709e5bd.jpg

Edited by The Blorenges

Do the snails need to be in any particular cache (or any particular part of the country!) on May 11th or around then? Thanks!

No. They can start from any cache in the UK, on 3rd September.

See full(ish) rules in post #1

Sorry, it was the finishing post I meant but have cross-posted with the facebook site (and the answer was, destination cache as yet undecided).

Still not sure if the snails have to get to a cache in Cornwall at the end, or it their mileage will just be taken on 11th May.

Don't worry if your snail is lagging behind a bit... animal-smiley-071.gif

They can't start surging around the country until 3rd September but the nature of the beast means that there will be some late starters (possibly very late). If your creation doesn't get going until the end of the month... smiley_snail.gif or even October... www.MessenTools.com-MSN6-caracol.gif it will still be allowed to race...

snail.gif

It will have penalised itself a bit by missing out on a week or two of high-powered sliming but in the Great Scheme of All Things Snaily I doubt it'll make a lot of difference as they all sprint for the finishing line next May.

MrsB (Official Snail Whisperer for the Race)

The contestants are (slowly) making their trails to the Starting Line... Some should be there by this Saturday (3rd Sept)... Others may take a little longer...

If you have a snail in the race please try and take a photo of it to go on its TB page. It would be nice to see the racing colours of all entrants before they leave.

MrsB