Should I convert my Waymarks to Challenges?

NevaP

While contemplating all the angst here during a wakeful period in the wee hours of the night I realized that I own 693 Waymarks most of which could be easily relisted on Groundspeak as photo challenges. They all have coordinates, they all went by an approver and a lot of them are interesting things/places which in the distant past might have been virtual caches. Many of them include several paragraphs of description and history. I burned out more or less on Waymarking doing all of this. Creating a Waymark is usually more work than hiding a cache. The research was fun and educational but it was very time consuming.

But the work is done. Should I think about turning some of them into challenges?

The same is true of many of the other 342,900+ waymarks now over there. And many of the 1029 waymark categories could serve as Worldwide Challenges if they are looking for suggestions.

Challenges looks more and more like a watered down version of Waymarking grafted on Geocaching.

While contemplating all the angst here during a wakeful period in the wee hours of the night I realized that I own 693 Waymarks most of which could be easily relisted on Groundspeak as photo challenges. They all have coordinates, they all went by an approver and a lot of them are interesting things/places which in the distant past might have been virtual caches. Many of them include several paragraphs of description and history. I burned out more or less on Waymarking doing all of this. Creating a Waymark is usually more work than hiding a cache. The research was fun and educational but it was very time consuming.

But the work is done. Should I think about turning some of them into challenges?

The same is true of many of the other 342,900+ waymarks now over there. And many of the 1029 waymark categories could serve as Worldwide Challenges if they are looking for suggestions.

Challenges looks more and more like a watered down version of Waymarking grafted on Geocaching.

Yes, you've invested a lot of work in them, it sounds like it would be pretty easy to copy the listing and post it as a Challenge. I would do at least a few and see how well they are received.

When I make a Challenge and there's a relevant Waymark, I've been mentioning it in the Challenge description as an Optional Task.

It really depends on the Waymark though. I wouldn't bother making a Challenge for a Benchmark and while commercial locations are infamously allowed on Waymarking I believe they are prohibited in Challenges.

There certainly is some overlap though.

At least if you create them as a challenge they will probably have more people visiting the locations than you had on the Waymarking website.

Probably true. And there will be the same problem (being discussed in several other threads)with retroactive visits - those made before the challenge was posted or before Geocaching was invented. This has not been resolved in Waymarking but at least the waymarks are owned and the owner can specify no retroactive visits and/or delete them. (I have just let them stand on my waymarks)

Well it might take a while since you can only submit one a day, but if you want to, knock yourself out.

Oh if I decide to do this I'll just make it part of the morning-still-in-my-houserobe-routine.

Get up-brush teeth-comb hair-feed cats-pour coffee-create challenge-eat breakfast-decide what to do the rest of the day. (I am retired so I don't have to worry about getting to work) :rolleyes:

How about doing what I did and make a challenge to log a visit to the waymark at that location? :ph34r:

Very good idea!

Bad idea...this is geocaching and not Waymarking. Challenges are part of geocaching. Waymarking has failed. Even Jeremy has expressed his disappointment at Waymarking's failure. Plus you can't enforce it once the challenge is accepted so why not just create something fun instead of making people jump through hoops.

How about doing what I did and make a challenge to log a visit to the waymark at that location? :ph34r:

Very good idea!

Bad idea...this is geocaching and not Waymarking. Challenges are part of geocaching. Waymarking has failed. Even Jeremy has expressed his disappointment at Waymarking's failure. Plus you can't enforce it once the challenge is accepted so why not just create something fun instead of making people jump through hoops.

Well I don't know what the waymarks in question are, but a year from now I should think I'll (still) be more interested in climbing peaks and having a way to log that I have reached a trig point at the top, than having my photo taken while planking in a city centre. :rolleyes: I haven't logged/bagged any waymarks yet, like most people, so it is a challenge! However, spotting 57 varieties of postbox or drain cover and having the map obliterated by a carpet of Waymarking challenges would be objectionable.

Very good idea!

This is also not chess, but the example Challenge GS posted is to play a game of giant chess.

Very good idea!

Aye there's the rub. The Waymark is a Best Kept Secret waymark. It has a verification question that hopefully can only be answered by visiting the waymark. (These days you never know what pictures may be some place on the Internet, so there's always a chance someone could do a couch potato log). While I can't delete bogus challenge complete logs, as the waymark owner I get the answers if the person sends them and I get notified if they log the waymark. If I was a puritan I could flag the challenge log if the waymark isn't logged. But since I'm not a puritan I probably won't.

By "turn them into ..." I hope you mean to list them in both places, and not remove them from the Waymarking site. You've listed some really nice Waymarks, and it would be a shame if they were removed from the Waymarking site. :(

But whether by 'conversion' (as you refer to it) or by happenstance, I suspect that many locations and objects that are currently listed on the Waymarking site will become the photo and action targets of Challenges. Many of the most interesting places on the planet have Waymarks associated with them, so it seems natural that there would be lots of overlap between Waymarks and Challenge destinations.

If you want to take some of the locations you've Waymarked and create Challenges from them, go for it! Are there any Challenges listed in Russia yet? Perhaps one of the locks you Waymarked could be the first. :)