GC.com seems very slow (again)

Al 7365

It does seem rather coincidental that this crushing slowdown followed the update, don't you think?

If slowdowns or updates were extremely rare, then you might be starting to have a point. But there's a site update pretty much every month, and there's not usually an associated slowdown. (Back in 2009 there was a slowdown pretty much every Sunday.) So we have no grounds for imagining an obvious correlation between "site update" and "slowdown". Of course, this particular site update is much more vivid than previous recent ones, because it contains new features that people don't like. (So far, there seems to be a very high correlation between "I don't like Challenges" and "The update made the site slow". That doesn't make the link invalid, but it does suggest that some search for alternative explanations might not be entirely a waste of time for the neutral observer.)

It's entirely possible, for example, that some aspect of the site was close to a critical value last week, and that the publicity around World Geocaching Day has pushed it from 98% to 102%. It's not always easy to know that you're running at 98% (yes, it is for CPU usage, but there's a hundred other factors in a complex SQL/web setup for which can be hard to spot that the bath is about to overflow.)

Groundspeak have confirmed it was the update that caused the problem. So once again (not surprisingly to most of us) the thing that was by some margin the most likely did actually turn out to be the cause.

Quite what qualifies you as a more neutral observer than the rest of us it is difficult to imagine (and yes, I'm quite certain that you did intend to imply that you are more neutral than we are). Whatever, it looks like the neutral observer's search for alternative explanations was a waste of time after all.

Rgds, Andy

...Today, the site services are not very accessible, for the first time in the last 18 months (this kind of slowness on Sundays was much more common a couple of years ago)...

I wasn't even geocaching in 2009 and yet I remember having a couple of months of Sundays where the website was unuseable. I think your glass-is-half-full has overflowed.

Aaaaargh! I just wrote one of my longest ever cache logs, forgot to copy it first, and submitted it. Geocaching site down; log lost. :mad:

(site now up again but no way of retrieving my log. Here goes again...

Does clicking "back" on your browser not work? A while ago TerraCaching was always dreadfully slow with lots of timeouts, but I didn't ever actually lose anything.

Rgds, Andy

Aaaaargh! I just wrote one of my longest ever cache logs, forgot to copy it first, and submitted it. Geocaching site down; log lost. :mad:

Does clicking "back" on your browser not work? A while ago TerraCaching was always dreadfully slow with lots of timeouts, but I didn't ever actually lose anything.

Rgds, Andy

No, I have had this problem a number of times in the past and clicking 'back' on the browser just gives you a big square box where your typed log used to be.

Rgds, Andy

No it does not when you click back your log is blank :sad: had a couple of these last night, so before I gave up totally I copied each log before hitting the button.

Same in Germany ...

Not really astonishing - when with every listing, that is downloaded, up to thousands of useless (!) user icon images are now sent over... Even when the site is quicker, this is a mess being outdoor...

Totally agree . Why do we need all those graphics ???

Edited by calibri

Rgds, Andy

In fact you just get an "unavailable" page, not even a blank box (as geocaching.com was totally unavailable).

No it does not when you click back your log is blank :sad: had a couple of these last night, so before I gave up totally I copied each log before hitting the button.

I just tried it here, and as the previous page came up, momentarily the data was there, then it cleared. I guess maybe Groundspeak are clearing the data with code, as I've not seen that behaviour on other sites.

Rgds, Andy

That's quite different from how it worked for me. This has happened a few times in recent days; the browser can't display anything at all from gc.com. It appears to be a very short blackout.

Just to clarify what I meant, I did get the "unavailable" screen, probably the same thing you are describing, so I clicked on the "back" button. It went back to the previous page, as I had expected, with all the text in the text box. But after about 100mS the text box cleared. So the end the result was the same as for you - the data wasn't available no matter what I tried.

However, I just realised that this was when I was sending an email to another cacher, not when writing a log. The behaviour for these two actions might be the same, or it might not.

Rgds, Andy

I'd agree with this approach, not only for logs but for forum posts as well. Not only does it avoid problems with slow site access times, but also overcomes the standard 'server time out' problems if you're a a bit slow on the typing speed.

It doesn't help overcome the typing errors that you only spot once you've pressed the 'send' button though .. :)