Mega event- Yay or Nay

MadSons

YAY! Yay! yay!

My feeling though, would not be one every year. But perhaps one every second year.

I would love to attend each and every Mega event held in SA, but due to leave constraints, would not be able to travel, lets say down to Cape Town, and then Durban, for a week every year.

Every second year I could still make some type of plan.

Edited by DamhuisClan

YAY!!!! For sure! We've just attended our first Mega Event in Finland and it was a fantastic experience. It really was just like our normal events but just that there were loads more people. In fact it as like going to a school fete or Lusito Land or something like that. Lekker kuier, eating and drinking, laughing, exchanging stories, discovering trackables, etc.

It was an amazing experience. We met so many different people from a number of countries and we did tell them about our Mega, so there can be no backing out now!!!

We learnt a lot from the Finnish, but also spent time with the organizer of the Swiss Mega and chatted briefly with the organizers of the Austrian 2009 Mega.

We even met up with teams that have an aim to attend as many Megas as possible, and they have travelled all over the world.

I think hosting a Mega is doable and a great event to have for every geocacher in the geocaching community - both locally and abroad.

YAY from me. :D

I applaud the effort currently being made, and despite our low cacher numbers, I firmly believe that it can happen, and will be wonderful for caching in SA. The formalities that are necessary to make it happen are, well - necessary, but specifically for the MEGA purpose, and mustn't be taken "kop toe" either by the people directly involved, or those who perceive such formalities as a threat.

Edit to add - no matter where in the country it is, we'll be there!! :D

Edited by Fish Eagle

YAY, but not near the PT as that is going to cause some problems with traffic and most likely get the geocaching community frowned upon... can you imagine a few hundred cachers all doing the PT during the time of the event.... there were only 4 of us doing the PT and the cops were eventually on is due to someone reporting us...

YAY, but not near the PT as that is going to cause some problems with traffic and most likely get the geocaching community frowned upon... can you imagine a few hundred cachers all doing the PT during the time of the event.... there were only 4 of us doing the PT and the cops were eventually on is due to someone reporting us...

Off topic slightly but I learned this trick in Ireland. Walk around with a green/yellow day-glo vest on and a clipboard and nobody will bother you - ever!

Off topic slightly but I learned this trick in Ireland. Walk around with a green/yellow day-glo vest on and a clipboard and nobody will bother you - ever!

Fantastic idea - I must get myself one of those.

As for a Mega Event in SA - YAY!