Adoption/Archived

There is an historic landmark in my hometown "A Bend In The Road" - it has been archived for quite some time. I found it by accident going to an estate sale. The neighbor told me of the cache whilst I was purchasing items for swag. I went there and there it was... archived long ago but still there (last log 2008). I requested an adoption to the owner... but I'm thinking I really didn't have to. I could just put a cache there and basically call it "A Bend In The Road - Revisited" or rename it altogether if I wanted to. I was just being courteous to write to the cache owner. Thoughts? I logged the find but I'm KIND of feeling guilty about that since it has been disabled for a while.

http://coord.info/GCJEVY

An Archived Listing cannot be Adopted over, nor is Unarchiving a Listing for the purposes of Adopting it over allowed under most circumstances.

Placing a new cache, or getting permission from the original cache owner to reuse the container, and submitting a new Listing for Review would be the appropriate course of action.

Once a cache is archived it is history. You can put a cache there without asking the previous owners permission. You can use the same name if you wish. Looks like this previous owner has not been around for a while. If you find a container where the cache use to be feel free to pick up the litter and use or dispose of it as you see fit. Logging an archived cache is not unheard of. Was a time when many folks logged a famous mystery cache in Seattle that was archived. (Hint: Groundspeak headquarters)

This is a big problem with reviewers, they archive caches that are there because a owner disables it to check on it, and never enables it, or wrong NA/NM logs.

In fact, I have a list of caches within 30 miles of my home location of caches that are archived but still probably there. I have nearly 300, and it just keeps growing.

Other then reviewers, there are plenty of other reasons i've seen, one time I found a BIG STASH of archived caches, nearly 16! What happened was a police officer caught a geocacher, and he archived all his other caches. I found another BIG STASH when someone moved from one place to another and just archived them.

Numerous other reasons.

Sometimes I'll sit home for hours and just build my list of archived caches that still have a possibility. I list the reasons I think it was archived, and I have 3 possible determination, depending upon how likely it is to be there and/or it is going to be in terrible condition.

Most of them are throw-aways when doing a search.

EDIT: My list is private, if you want a sneak-peak in I can due so via E-mail.

Edited by Coldgears

This is a big problem with reviewers, they archive caches that are there because a owner disables it to check on it, and never enables it, or wrong NA/NM logs.

No, this is a big problem with cache owners. The listing linked in the OP was neglected by its owner, who had from November to March to re-enable the listing after performing maintenance.

If an owner wakes up and asks for an unarchived listing to be re-activated, we are happy to do so, provided that the listing meets current guidelines.

If an owner allows their cache container to stay out in the environment after the listing is archived, that's their choice.

Sometimes I'll sit home for hours and just build my list of archived caches that still have a possibility. I list the reasons I think it was archived, and I have 3 possible determination, depending upon how likely it is to be there and/or it is going to be in terrible condition.

If you're planning to look for some of these archived caches, then another variable you should consider is the reason why they were archived. Some are archived because they are determined to be on private property or because land managers have withdrawn permission. Or the cache owner realized they are located in environmentally sensitive areas. Or other good reasons why further geocachers should not visit the area.

Of course, responsible owners will remove archived caches.

So what I think I'm hearing is - I can basically copy the cache name and all without the original CO approval? Also, I can use the previous (actually quite leaky... won't be using it) container as well because it was abandoned as geo-trash?

November to March is a huge grace period. Okay, fun... this should be a known place - it is very cool county history.

Blessings

HH

So what I think I'm hearing is - I can basically copy the cache name and all without the original CO approval? Also, I can use the previous (actually quite leaky... won't be using it) container as well because it was abandoned as geo-trash?

November to March is a huge grace period. Okay, fun... this should be a known place - it is very cool county history.

Blessings

HH

You would have a new GC code, so a new name and write-up, perhaps mentioning the archived cache, would be nice, new start to your cache, wouldn't it?

Once a cache is archived here, it's "history". There's no need to feel guilty or to feel that you need to re-create the previous cache page.

Mind you, submitting a new cache placement in the same location brings up the question of why the original was archived.

And your new listing will still go through a review process, which may or may not bring up the same issues.

there was a cache in Hawaii that was one of my fav and i noticed the CO archived it because he was moving away. I asked if I could adopt it but he said once archived, its gone. So, wish his permission, i relisted it with same container and its back in action. First to find wasnt too happy finding the same cache container as before but.. lol

I am in a similar /related situation: a certain cache in my area could not be found by the 3 most recent geocachers, they all noted that they thought the cache was muggled. The cache owner does not have the time to fix the cache so he archives it (this was in June 2011). I went down there today and found the cache,i.e., the previous three people did not look around good enough. I email the c.o. he says he is willing to let me adopt it. BUT the cache is already archived.

I am reading here that unarchiving for adoption isn't "allowed" (although one of the mods says that it is, as long as the cache meets guidelines). But that's somewhat silly because creating a new cache meaning loosing all the previous logs, photos etc that are still part of the archived cache location (I mean cache webpage on www.geocaching.com). The cachebox with all it's handwritten logs etc is all there. It's 'bizarre' to state it is simply history and we should not care. The logs are part of the history of a cache at THAT cachelocation and resurrecting a new cache at the same spot ignoring that history doesn't make sense to me.

Do we stand a chance with Groundspeak for unarchiving the cache so it can be adopted (by me) and it's life can continue?? (obviously assuming that there is no other nearby newer cache such that the unarchived cache now would be too close to another cache, but that's not the case anyway).

How does one (i.e., the cacheowner) go about making a unarchiving request, is this a menu option somewhere?

Thanks for advice.

Edited by lcombee

It was archived because the CO ditched all his/her caches.

Nice. That means there are probrably alot of containers out there that are trash.

I agree, you can start a new cache, with the same name, same spot, with a line about the original cache I think is sufficient. You can send the original CO an email letting them know, but I wouldn't bother with asking permission.

I am reading here that unarchiving for adoption isn't "allowed" (although one of the mods says that it is, as long as the cache meets guidelines). But that's somewhat silly because creating a new cache meaning loosing all the previous logs, photos etc that are still part of the archived cache location (I mean cache webpage on www.geocaching.com). The cachebox with all it's handwritten logs etc is all there. It's 'bizarre' to state it is simply history and we should not care. The logs are part of the history of a cache at THAT cachelocation and resurrecting a new cache at the same spot ignoring that history doesn't make sense to me.

Aye, there's the rub.

Unfortunately, Groundspeak has made it abundantly clear in other identical situations that unarchiving for the sake of adoption is strictly prohibited (save, of course, for rare exceptions they may see fit to grant)

So as much as it seems silly, your best bet is to re-list, and perhaps link to the previous cache for the history (even though previous finders can now, technically, "re-find" the new identical listing).

Could be wrong about this, but the discussions I've seen about not unarchiving a cache for adoption were about caches with inactive COs. If an active CO were to ask their own cache to be unarchived so it could be adopted out, that might be different. I would say, there's no harm in asking. And if the answer is no, then another idea would be to put a link to the old cache page when re-listing it as a new cache, that way those interested in the history can check it out.

Depends what you mean by "active", and thus opens another can of worms. In my experience, even if the owner is an active cacher, and ready and willing and able to do the adoption, only intending not to place/maintain their own caches, that's still disallowed. In other words, the only possible case would be an active geocacher and cache owner, properly and actively maintaining caches, but desiring a cache to be unarchived so they can adopt it out. In which case the argument might go "no, because they are either around to maintain it, or the other person can still simply re-list a new identical cache".

I don't see a quick, simple response from GS giving an OK given how much debate there was about that general request - unarchival for the purpose of adoption. The way I see it, it ain't going to happen (there's no grounds to request it, at all) unless they decide for themselves to grant an exception. Good luck with that. I'll cheer for you if you're successful (then probably rant again) ;)

Easiest, quickest route, to avoid headaches and insanity, is just re-list. It's not worth the battle (unless of course you believe the cache is indeed worth the effort and community-perceived "hissy-fit" ;) ).

Edited by thebruce0

I am reading here that unarchiving for adoption isn't "allowed" (although one of the mods says that it is, as long as the cache meets guidelines).

A cache owner can ask for their archived cache to be unarchived. But only if they are planning on maintaining their own cache, they cannot ask to have it unarchived with the intention to turn around and adopt it out to someone else. As Keystone said, if the cache still meets the guidelines, it may be unarchived. If the cache has been archived for many years, some Reviewers may not unarchive it.

How does one (i.e., the cacheowner) go about making a unarchiving request, is this a menu option somewhere?

Email your local Reviewer. You can find them by looking at a recent local cache page and going to the bottom of the logs. The Publish log should be there, and you can email them through their profile.

I believe the part of this discussion that causes confusion has to do with the guidelines for adoption. Not that they are confusing, it's just that some forgot what they had read.

A CO must agree to and be a part of the adoption process to the adopt cache owner.

--Sure, Groundspeak can change the guideline on a whim, but to make willy-nilly changes to long-standing guidelines is not a very good practice in business (or otherwise, for that matter)--

Nearly all of the time (certainly most of it) the "owner" of an archived cache, typically is not available to agree to and/or be a part of the adoption process.

He/she STILL "owns" the assigned cache ID number. This creates a lot of hoops and hurdles to clear.

Inasmuch as an archived cache does not truly "exist" anymore, it is far easier to simply place a new listing at the same location (utilizing the cache-trash container and/or contents is immaterial -- as it should've been CITO'ed anyway).

Should you be aware of and be able to access that archived cache, it may be worthwhile to mention same -- certainly would add more "history" to the placement site. One could (perhaps) even go so far as to utilize the archived cache page info (be mindful of plagiarism issues, however).

Blessings

HH

This is what I would do, place a new cache, new container, new writeup. I might put a link to the original cache page in my new writeup ( would have to have someone tell me how). I would also put a new FTF prize for whoevever is the FTF who had not been there before, no way to enforce this, so I wouldn't worry if it didn't go where I wanted. :)

I've placed three caches (or more, can't remember) at spots where older caches were. In fact, I just placed one on Saturday like that. In all three descriptions I posted a link to the older cache. I think that's a nice way to help preserve the history. I obviously enjoyed the fact that other cache owners brought me to this spot, and I want to honour that.