Attention all East coast cachers

Just a little something that was made aware to me the other day. Genuine source although not sure that I should reveal how I found out. Probably a good time to take a caching trip somewhere far away. Read it and weep FTF hounds :) Email reads as follows:

Subject: NOTIFICATION OF GPS JAMMING EXERCISES

STANFORD TRAINING AREA, EAST ANGLIA, SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER 2011

Dates: Between 19 and 23 September 2011 and between 17 and 21 October 2011 inclusive.

Times: 19 to 23 September – between 0600 and 0900 BST and again between 1600 and 1930 BST

17 to 21 October – between 0900 and 1730 BST.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N52° 31.0’ E000° 45.0’.

Frequency: A 24 MHz band centred around 1575.42MHz (GPS L1).

Total Power: Up to 10 Watts EIRP.

It is stressed that, as in previous exercises, Safety of Life operations will at all times take precedence over exercise activities.

Doesn't seem like it's a secret or anything as there are articles about it online:

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/06/08/walkers-warned-military-jamming-will-affect-gps-signals

And for anyone who doesn't know already, this is in the UK not the US east coast. :)

(This doesn't mean that GPS units won't work though, some might be able to cut through the jamming. Which is probably what the testing is all about, determining which GPS units, if any, are resistant to jamming.)