htc Thunderbolt gc.com app compus not working

I have been caching with my Nuvi which isn't great for much other than getting me to the location and using the htc Thunderbolt with gc.com app's compass feature to navigate to the coordinates. However, in the last few days the compass is jumping all over the place and is completely useless. I have had to take my laptop out with a wifi card and google earth to get me anywhere near the cache. Can someone give me some advice as to what to do about my phone app not working?

If not that, could someone please tell me what hand held unit I should get for paperless caching? I have been looking through pages and pages of reviews and write ups and am more confused than ever. The biggest thing I would be looking for in a handheld is coverage as I like to go to areas with little to no cell coverage and accuracy.

Edit: How embarrassing :o to misspell compass! Ugh, I just wanna cache...

Edited by AmphibianTrackers

The compass problem has been reported (I reported it) and the devs are looking at it. It's not your imagination, it's happening to lots of folks.

My solution since I never really liked the official app anyway, is NeonGeo. Go over to http://www.neongeo.com and check it out. It's new, but has a super responsive developer who has great ideas, and its already a WAY better program than the official app will ever be.

Edited by michaelnel

I personally find that the motion based compass is better. The magnetic compass in the phone isn't very accurate at all, and when used in the car it can go crazy due to all the metal.

Now you must be moving for the compass to adjust, but while you're walking to the cache that probably isn't much of an issue.

Download GPS Status & Toolbox app and reset your GPS. This should fix the accuracy problem.

This is what worked for me. When the phone isn't updating my location I am able to do that with this ap and the compass works wonderfully! Thank you so much for this fix!!!! I am very grateful!

No problem. It worked for me too. Fixed accuracy and lock time.

I agree C:Geo works well, but it violates the site's Terms Of Service, and Groundspeak can pretty much make it stop working any time. C:Geo's days are numbered (even though it has gone open source now) with the introduction of NeonGeo.

I use c:geo, but I don't feel too bad about it since I shelled out the $10 for the official GCing app and didn't like it. For the money, I think the app should be better than it is. C:geo is much better.

C:geo works excellent if you also download GPS status. Then you navigate to the cache using the radar option instead of the compass.

There is also a geocaching plugin for locus that is kind of cool. The limitation is that you can only search for the caches near your current location, unless you enter the gps coords manually.

Edited by Hypno-Toad

I agree C:Geo works well, but it violates the site's Terms Of Service, and Groundspeak can pretty much make it stop working any time. C:Geo's days are numbered (even though it has gone open source now) with the introduction of NeonGeo.

I use c:geo, but I don't feel too bad about it since I shelled out the $10 for the official GCing app and didn't like it. For the money, I think the app should be better than it is. C:geo is much better.

C:geo works excellent if you also download GPS status. Then you navigate to the cache using the radar option instead of the compass.

There is also a geocaching plugin for locus that is kind of cool. The limitation is that you can only search for the caches near your current location, unless you enter the gps coords manually.

It's easiest to navigate to the cache location with c:geo using Google Navigation. Have you tried that? Cache page, menu, map, navigation.

Unless you man one you're near GZ. I still like the compass. Very accurate.

I'm going neon geo gets better. The UI is awful and the live map needs lots of work. Why do I need to press this cube to update the map?

It's easiest to navigate to the cache location with c:geo using Google Navigation. Have you tried that? Cache page, menu, map, navigation.

Unless you man one you're near GZ. I still like the compass. Very accurate.

I know you can use navigation, but I haven't had to use it. I just prefer radar for zeroing in on GZ once I'm near the cache.

I'm going neon geo gets better. The UI is awful and the live map needs lots of work. Why do I need to press this cube to update the map?

Please do submit your feedback to the NG developer. He has been super responsive, but is unlikely to fix things you don't like unless you let him know about them.