TN/LN etiquette

snailbandit

Question kinda on the topic. We go as a family alot and my daughter is only 2 well will be 3 in september. She ends up wanting to take one of the toys alot and i have been caught with out any toys to leave but i always take some old change with me when i go out to leave (like a 1882 pennie, steel pennies that kind of change. Is that an ok exchange or are old coins like that not good cach stuff)?

Question kinda on the topic. We go as a family alot and my daughter is only 2 well will be 3 in september. She ends up wanting to take one of the toys alot and i have been caught with out any toys to leave but i always take some old change with me when i go out to leave (like a 1882 pennie, steel pennies that kind of change. Is that an ok exchange or are old coins like that not good cach stuff)?

To me, a penny for a $1 toy would not be a fair trade, but I'm not a collector. Other opinions?

As she gets a bit older, you can make sure she brings along some little things to trade.

Now I collect coins and would be thrilled if my kids chose the penny. Alot of times now my kids seldom find something they want. I carry extra swag to help fill up a cache that is low. My daughter thinks to pick a TB is her prize and she gets to move it along as her gift. I do not know how she thought of this idea but it makes both her and me happy and a Travel Bug gets moved.

And Off we go

Money of some historical value would be cool although I think copper pennies would turn

to green mush pretty quickly. Otherwise I think leaving money is just crass. Do any of us really

need another quarter or loonie in our pockets? To me it's all about "cool-factor" rather than value.

Some "cool" things can be free (neat rocks, pins etc), and some paid for items

are just lame. Before you put it in ask yourself "Would somebody actually want this

or am I just using this cache as a garbage can?"

To me, a penny for a $1 toy would not be a fair trade, but I'm not a collector. Other opinions?

As she gets a bit older, you can make sure she brings along some little things to trade.

I have older children. My youngest is now offering her small toys (in newish condition) she has grown out of (e.g. little plastic animals, collector Polly Pocket items, unused Kinder toys) to swap for things like foreign or old coins! The other day we made a swap for an English half penny for something someone had swapped for a pathtag in one of our caches. Have a look at the 'Good swag/Bad swag game'' thread in the geocaching topic section for lots of other ideas. :)

Edited by Fianccetto

Leaving something without taking something is perfectly fine - Obviously taking something without leaving something is some petty form of theft and unfair on those that come after you and find a cache with less in it to trade, but leaving something is never a bad thing for those after you.

The usual rules do still apply though - it has to be a legal and relevant item, and fit the cache container properly - so no food, alcohol or other restricted items for example. If anything else, think about what you would like to find in a cache and leave appropriate stuff.

Coins are one item I quite like finding in caches, and quite often swap for. Obviously generic local modern currency isn't particularly interesting, but old coins, foreign currency or other oddities I think are pretty cool.

Geocachers are a pretty varied bunch in interests and lifestyles - from parents caching with young kids as a fun afternoon, older people just looking for something interesting to do all the way up to the back country hikers heading out on a huge trek for a solitary cache at the end. Most importantly everyone likes different things - the kids may love kinder egg toys, while I know I personally would be much more interested in an interesting coin. As long as you make a fair trade, I think it is cool to put in whatever interests you.

Out of interest I normally leave dice in caches - odd shapes like four, eight or twelve sided varieties as I like them and hope that some future cachers will think them pretty cool too...

If the coin was of some significance you might want to make sure it's in its own miniature zip-baggie/pouch rather than just dropped in the bottom of the cache or logbook baggie.

Hi everybody!

I'm sorry if this question is redundant but I was wondering if I can leave something in a cache without taking something out? Or can you only do an exchange?

Thanks!

That's called trading up. Go for it.

As we say around here - Trade even, trade up, or not at all.

My boys and I will hit our local "dollar" store to pick up some swag if we run out. Plastic bugs, army men, glass marbles, different sizes and types of bouncy balls, party favors, all seem to satisfy them, so I assume they'd satisfy other 9yo boys :). Just last weekend, we even hit a garage sale and picked up a shoebox of good swag stuff for a couple dollars :D . Unfortunately, more often than not, the backseat of my car looks like a messed up dollar store, hehe. :P