International Geocaching Day

St.Matthew

Meh.

I don't really get all worked up for the Souvis at this point. They'll issue it when they issue it.

More important: Did you enjoy the caches you visited today?

I don't know. I posted my find, and no souvenir yet. I think I'm gonna quit caching forever because of this.

:blink:

I hope they post it soon... I made sure to go caching today. Mostly because of the souvienier... But northernpenguin has a point. Better to have logged and lost than to have never cached at all.

I got to explore a park I haven't gone to in forever, relearn my roads a bit, and eat some awesome wild saskatoon berries!

I hope they post it soon... I made sure to go caching today. Mostly because of the souvienier... But northernpenguin has a point. Better to have logged and lost than to have never cached at all.

I got to explore a park I haven't gone to in forever, relearn my roads a bit, and eat some awesome wild saskatoon berries! Oh, not to mention log 2 caches

Look... It's obvious what's happened...

At the end of work on Friday everyone at Groundspeak tidied their desk and picked up their belongings. A few diligent individuals went and washed out their coffee mugs. Someone checked the Feeding Schedule and went and gave the hamsters their weekend rations but forgot that they should've had 50% extra this weekend because of the extra logging that would be happening on Saturday. Slowly they all drifted out of the building while checking their To Do lists for the big party the next day...

Someone (and I won't point any fingers here) forgot to press the Big Red Timer button that automatically switches on the new Souvenir! :o

I'm sure that person will be suitably hauled over the smouldering hamster droppings next week.

Just punishment.

MrsB

Had to do a full day of work before I could change clothing, grab my partner and head out for caches. By that time it was raining and we got wet from head to toe, but we still managed to find three and claim one DNF. It was worth the effort just to say that we went caching on International Geocaching Day!

They said that there will be a souvenir and I expect that there will be one coming...eventually. SNAFUs happen.

There have been tons of issues that Groundspeak hasn't fixed. So what? You can try complaining in the forums, you can try posting and voting in the Feedback forum. Does that mean that only those issues should be discussed?

I only went to find caches on that specific day to qualify for the souvenir. I like souvenirs.

Why someone should feel that their opinion on something should impact me is beyond my understanding.

If you don't like souvenirs, then perhaps you shouldn't bother with the threads where people who do like souvenirs are discussing them.

I don't need someone else to validate my caching experiences. But thanks for trying to make it seem like your opinion should prevail.

There have been tons of issues that Groundspeak hasn't fixed. So what? You can try complaining in the forums, you can try posting and voting in the Feedback forum. Does that mean that only those issues should be discussed?

I only went to find caches on that specific day to qualify for the souvenir. I like souvenirs.

Why someone should feel that their opinion on something should impact me is beyond my understanding.

If you don't like souvenirs, then perhaps you shouldn't bother with the threads where people who do like souvenirs are discussing them.

I don't need someone else to validate my caching experiences. But thanks for trying to make it seem like your opinion should prevail.

Well stated

Hmmmmmmm,

Reminds me of comments relating to POWER TRAILS.

I want my E.T. Trail souvenir.

I want my Head Alien souvenir

holy c**ap that's a lot of assuming and putting words into the horses' mouth you doing there, thanks for biting my head off

its not the first time they are late awarding souvenirs, i like them too but i am quite sure that we can all live without them in our profiles for now and they actually fix the website so it doesn't crawl like molasses...if you can't even navigate the website you can't even get to see that pretty souvenir, can you?

so what is more important?

go get some caches, you know you shouldn't watch a kettle boil :lol:

Edited by t4e

I started this thread out of sheer curiosity. If anyone took it as impatience or complaining, oh well. That wasn't my intent.

" ... Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get."

I usually wear a Nomex fireproof suit when I enter the forums. AKA Valley Of Flames.

Try not to take it toooooooo seriously many of these folks really are stand up folks.

Geo-Huggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I started this thread out of sheer curiosity. If anyone took it as impatience or complaining, oh well. That wasn't my intent.

" ... Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get."

I usually wear a Nomex fireproof suit when I enter the forums. AKA Valley Of Flames.

Try not to take it toooooooo seriously many of these folks really are stand up folks.

Geo-Huggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll second that--hardly an exaggeration either.

I did think it would show up right away. Back in July when we went on vacation to FL, we cached in each state on the trip and they appeared in my phone immediately after I logged a find in each state. But I'm not worried, it'll pop up eventually. When they first started them, it took forever to get my own state souvenir.

DNF'd three on the way home from a fire call. Reckon I won't be getting a souvenir! B)

My first one Sat. was a DNF so I went out of my way to try again and did get a find. Not that I HAD to have the souvenir, but I wanted it just to have something to show I cached on the special day. The facebook announcement did state we had to log a find or attend an event to get the souvenir, but I'm not so sure that's fair. If we go out caching but can't make a single find and have to log DNF's, are we not technically still caching? Of course we are. So if someone goes Geocaching on International Geocaching Day, shouldn't they get the souvenir regardless of Found or DNF?

I did go caching yesterday, while out camping, but couldn't post until today (when it's painfully slow). I don't mind waiting a few days for the souvenir, but I sure hope it's based on the day of the find, not the day of the log since there was no means of posting it yesterday from a campsite. I can't find the old front-page link that announced the souvenir, so I don't know how it was worded (log vs enter info date).

I did go caching yesterday, while out camping, but couldn't post until today (when it's painfully slow). I don't mind waiting a few days for the souvenir, but I sure hope it's based on the day of the find, not the day of the log since there was no means of posting it yesterday from a campsite. I can't find the old front-page link that announced the souvenir, so I don't know how it was worded (log vs enter info date).

When they released the 10/10/10 souvenir, everybody had several days to log their finds to get the souvenir. I'm sure they'll do the same this time. :)

I did think it would show up right away. Back in July when we went on vacation to FL, we cached in each state on the trip and they appeared in my phone immediately after I logged a find in each state. But I'm not worried, it'll pop up eventually. When they first started them, it took forever to get my own state souvenir.

DNF'd three on the way home from a fire call. Reckon I won't be getting a souvenir! B)

My first one Sat. was a DNF so I went out of my way to try again and did get a find. Not that I HAD to have the souvenir, but I wanted it just to have something to show I cached on the special day. The facebook announcement did state we had to log a find or attend an event to get the souvenir, but I'm not so sure that's fair. If we go out caching but can't make a single find and have to log DNF's, are we not technically still caching? Of course we are. So if someone goes Geocaching on International Geocaching Day, shouldn't they get the souvenir regardless of Found or DNF?

I bought a lottery ticket but I didn't win. :mad:

I think I should have gotten a share of the prize, after all I DID buy a ticket! B)

I bought a lottery ticket but I didn't win. :mad:

I think I should have gotten a share of the prize, after all I DID buy a ticket! B)

I'd like to find your analogy amusing, but one has nothing to do with the other. Are we not actually caching if we don't make a find? If not, then what are we doing? A find is not a necessity of a caching outing. So if you're going to create a special day and want people to get out & go Geocaching, give a souvenir for caching on that day whether they make a find or not. A DNF is just as much proof of caching as a Found log.

I emailed them about the souvenir just out of curiosity. This is the response I received.

"You may notice that we have temporarily turned off some minor site functionality to increase server performance, including log avatars and find counts. Likewise the International Geocaching Day souvenir will be awarded retroactively once we have the servers performing as expected.

As we are addressing several large issues that occurred over the weekend, we understand that this email may not completely or directly answer your specific query. If you need additional help or information, or we did not address your query, please reply.

Again we apologize for any inconvenience or frustrations these issues may have caused and will have site functionality restored as soon as possible."

Great customer service as always. Just gotta be patient.

I bet they are SWAMPED with all the problems that the Challenge caches created and they will get a round tuit soon :laughing:

I have a bag full of round TUITs they can have and use as needed.

NO souvi?

I am going to have to stomp my feet, hold my breath...and if that doesn't work I'm gonna slit my wrists.

*peeks out to see if anyone really cares*