MapBlast go boom!

Dapper Dan

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGH....

Man, this is the 4th time they've changed their system. First it required a login to use it, and it has been going back and forth with that. Now they're reducing their features. Fantastic.

We're adding a mapserver to our repitoire, but unfortunately could not afford the navtech data which would have allowed us turn-by-turn directions. We may, however, be providing a link to such a service in the future. I guess I'll add some more fuel to that task.

In the meantime, upgrading to Garmin V is the only option. If anyone finds an alternate site for this service, pass it on.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Maybe if they get enough emails complaining (only reason I ever saw to use there service over mapquest was the driving directions to cords) and explaining that we will no longer have a use for their site, they may bring it back.

Or maybe I'm just wishfully thinking, in all actuallity about 30% of the time it took you to the wrong place anyway. I've ended up at private houses, drug rehab centers, and closed military access roads.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I actually talked to a person ON THE PHONE at Mapblast.com (actually Vicinity.com).

Apparently, they had a contractual problem with the third party provider that gives them that data. Due to legalities they can no longer provide this information.

The gentleman that I spoke to was very apologetic and says that he has indeed received many "feedback" forms indicating dissatisfaction with the removal of the coordinates.

They are looking at other ways to add back that functionality, but at the present time, it has been removed from their site and it doens't look like it's coming back - no matter how nicely we ask.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish

...unfortunately could not afford the navtech data which would have allowed us turn-by-turn directions.

Groundspeak could be on the cutting edge of location technology if they provide this service. There is definitely a niche to fill with people getting coordinates and looking for turn-by-turn directions.

Any guesses as to when this might be upgraded? Are you guys even looking into that possibility - or is it so far out of the realm of the current that it's not in the foreseeable future?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching