Will you actually do challenges?

Coldgears

I may try one if I see one near me that's worth doing. On the other hand, if I see a challenge that takes me to a cool spot or is fun, I may just do the challenge and not bother to log it. I've done that with a couple of Earthcaches - I learned something, but it's not geocaching. I will be in Manhattan for an event (yes I'll log it - it has a logbook) and I heard there's 1 or 2 good challenges there. Just because the first wave has been all bathwater, doesn't mean a few babies won't show up.

Edited by CTForester
I'm not forgoing them because I hate challenges. I'm forgoing them because there are no tools currently for me to filter the few good challenges from the majority of bad.

Can someone point me in the direction of lists of Challenges? I've only ever seen about fifteen Challenges total, including Worldwide.

I have a buhzillion questions about them that go way beyond deciding whether I'm a hypocrite or a puritan. Turns out, I'm a hypocrite. So that's settled. Now about those Challenges, show me the list!

Can someone point me in the direction of lists of Challenges? I've only ever seen about fifteen Challenges total, including Worldwide.

I think there is no list available for the non worldwide ones.

You can enter coordinates or a location in the search form that you get when you choose the challenges submenu.

E.g. for Atlanta one gets

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/search.aspx?st=loc&q=atlanta&lat=33.7489954&lng=-84.3879824

Your place results in an empty page.

I think there is no list available for the non worldwide ones.

You can enter coordinates or a location in the search form that you get when you choose the challenges submenu.

E.g. for Atlanta one gets

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/search.aspx?st=loc&q=atlanta&lat=33.7489954&lng=-84.3879824

Your place results in an empty page.

Thanks! I did that exact one (it comes up in the App, too). But I can't help but notice that there are a grand total of FIVE Challenges, if I search "Atlanta". Is there a place with, say, MORE than five? The discussion around here leads me to believe people are seeing many somewhere. My challenge stands: SHOW ME THE LIST! No, wait. This is better as a new topic. Don't answer yet...

Edited by kunarion

Now that Groundspeak got their act together on this, cleaned it up and listened to us.. I will do a few - and have done 1 so far. I love the new layout now and the photo challenges must be "location" based. Although some of the photo challenges say "take a picture anywhere", this is where the community steps in and can flag it saying it's not location based and can have it removed. All in all, great strides from Groundspeak on this and am looking forward to all the photo/action challenges now that this mess has been cleaned up.

I agree with Wolverine. Now that they are counted separately from your finds, I will likely do a few of these. We did one recently when we were in Seattle for the Geocaching Block Party. The challenge was to take your photo with the Space Needle and have it look like you are carrying it. It was fun and silly and we were able to complete the challenge from our hotel room. At the time, I just posted it as a comment on my profile so it wouldn't affect my stats, but now that they have changed that, I will go back and mark it as completed.

It's not going to replace geocaching for me, but can be something fun to do once in a while. I can see this drawing a whole new crowd into the game. It's just another facet of the game, and doesn't affect geocaching as we know it.

Is there a place with, say, MORE than five?

Yes, there are many with more than 5, e.g. 21 at the moment for Berlin, 25 for Frankfurt/Main and New York and 26 for Köln (Cologne) (there have been more, but locationless disappear after a while).

The discussion around here leads me to believe people are seeing many somewhere.

Yes, by looking at many locations (I am using e.g. some of the major cities of Austria in my searches) and by looking at those which are mentioned in forum threads and by looking at the list of recent activity.

Edited by cezanne

Feel free to start a feedback topic requesting that they be included in the total. It just might happen,

don't count them - count them - don't count them - count them - don't count them - count them - don't count them - count them - :lol:

I wish they counted towards my total - it seems a waste of time to me otherwise and its messy to have more than one number. I did two today to see what they were like but won't be bothering with any more.

If you look in the right place they do count toward your total and they are combined. In some places they're split in one place they are not.

Geocache Information for User: Castle Mischief

Geocaches Found (All Geocache Finds)
Name 	Count 
Traditional Cache 	456
Multi-cache 	          7
Virtual Cache 	         46
Letterbox Hybrid          3
All Event Cache Types 	  5
Event Cache 	          4
Mega-Event Cache 	  1
Unknown Cache 	         10
Earthcache 	         40