Will you actually do challenges?

Coldgears

Did one, which was one of the first global challenges. Hey, we joined to late to get any locationless, so now we sort of have one.

Published one, an action challenge to climb the Ziggurat of UR in southern Iraq.

Might do more, might not. We'll see.

I did one. We'll see if I do any more. I have enjoyed most virtual caches that I've done, so I can see myself doing some challenges of that type. But I've never really cared for ALRs or the old "challenge caches" where you need to complete a goal before claiming the cache (although the one Challenge that I did was of that sort).

Yes. Already done one, have accepted many others. Listed my first today.

What is the point of accepting them? Can you see a list somewhere of all those that you have accepted so that you can do them as you get a chance, sort of like bookmarking them? (hey... there's an idea, Groundspeak!)

Yes. Already done one, have accepted many others. Listed my first today.

What is the point of accepting them? Can you see a list somewhere of all those that you have accepted so that you can do them as you get a chance, sort of like bookmarking them? (hey... there's an idea, Groundspeak!)

Yep. You can see them in your /my/challenges folder.

In the mobile app, the challenges you accept have a slightly different icon.

If someone really feels one of these is a cache and the others not they are not a hypocrite for feeling that way. ( I invite you to look up the word.)

Well, I thought I already knew the definition. Stand by. Lemme go check...

hypocrite (ˈhɪpəkrɪt)

— noun

a person who pretends to be what he is not

Yup. That's what I thought it meant... :unsure:

For instance:

Virtuals = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Perform a particular task. Post a log.

Challenges = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Perform a particular task. Post a log.

If I were to claim that one was a cache, but the other was not, and therefor, unworthy of a found/met log from my account, I would be a hypocrite, as they are the same thing.

Nope, don't see us doing many, if any of these. Seems kind of pointless to me. This seems more like an idea that a government bureaucrat would dream up on a slow day to justify his existence. Have fun if you want. We have better things to do than attempt to make a palace guard smile.

Challenges = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Perform a particular task. Post a log.

So how do you spin "worldwide challenges" to make them fit the definition of a geocache?

Easy: Worldwide challenges are as much geocaches as "locationless caches" were: not at all. And location-specific challenges are as much geocaches as virtuals were: not at all. Where's the problem?

No.

Not as they are. MAYBE if they were regulated and reviewed in some way but even then, most likely not.

They are regulated and reviewed - by you! Choose the ones that you want to complete, down-vote those that don't adhere to the rules and ignore the rest.

YOU are in charge of your Challenge experience!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
If someone really feels one of these is a cache and the others not they are not a hypocrite for feeling that way. ( I invite you to look up the word.)

Well, I thought I already knew the definition. Stand by. Lemme go check...

hypocrite (ˈhɪpəkrɪt)

— noun

a person who pretends to be what he is not

Yup. That's what I thought it meant... :unsure:

For instance:

Virtuals = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Perform a particular task. Post a log.

If I were to claim that one was a cache, but the other was not, and therefor, unworthy of a found/met log from my account, I would be a hypocrite, as they are the same thing.

You, of course left out all the difference between a challenge and a vertual. Such as whether they are subject to review, owned by whoever set them, have someone to keep bogus logs in line, etc. I see more differences then simularities myself. I can fully understand how someone can think one is a cache, and the other is not. (the problem I have is how anyone can think either one is a Geocache. :blink: )

However, I don't think virtuals are a cache either. Nor do I think Earthcaches are caches. They can be fun to do but they ain't caches.

For instance:

Virtuals = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Find answers to some questions about that location and/or take a picture of that location. Post a log.

Challenges = Go to a specific location, defined by GPS coords. Perform a particular task that has nothing to do with that location. Sometimes a picture of the action, not the location, is required. Post a log.

I don't think either are a cache in the true sense of the word. The question is are they geocaching? To me Virtuals are geocaching as they're about a location. Challenges are not geocaching as they're about actions. That's why I will keep hunting virtuals but not challenges.

Yes, there are a few challenges that require a picture of a location without any tasks attached but they are rare and keep getting voted down.

Edited by Avernar

Nope. At least not at this time. Just too many real geocaches to do. If they didn't count toward my finds, then I may consider it. I enjoy moving a trackable every now and then, but they don't count toward my finds, and I consider it a seperate aspect of the whole game. I think these challenges are on the same level, but in a seperate catagory, as trackables.

We're planning on doing them, already have one. In the Chicago area we are not seeing issues that other areas seem to be. The challenges that locals are putting up are more like virtuals or the old locationless. We are not seeing the "kiss a frog" or "High five another cacher on the trail" that others are seeing.

Just like physical caches, if I see something I do not like, we will not do it. If it sounds like fun, we're doing 3 or 4 in downtown Chicago when my in laws are here next month, we'll go for it.

Yes. Did the Fremont Challenge at the Block Party. Had to enter GPS coordinates for each of the 5 stages. Performed a task at each stage (instead of signing a log), received a small treasure. Felt sorta like geocaching meets Amazing Race!! I loved it!! Would never have found the locations without the GPS coords. I also would definitely participate in the challenge again next year. :D

To me Virtuals are geocaching as they're about a location. Challenges are not geocaching as they're about actions.

I'm mostly in agreement with you, as, according to my highly biased caching aesthetic, anything without a container is not a geocache. (It's a quirk, I know...) I just don't let this particular belief stop me from doing them, if they interest me. If TPTB were to ask my opinion, I would vote for all cache types without a container to not be counted toward my "Total Caches Found" number, though I would like them tracked on one site. That's why I suggested treating them like benchmarks.

I do gotta disagree with your notion regarding locations vs. actions. Both user created challenges and virtuals are strictly location based. You and I could not create a challenge that doesn't take you to a specific spot, without violating the guidelines. As for answering questions about a site vs. doing something at a site, both are tasks, defined by the creator. Which is why I feel the earlier comparison worked rather well;

Virtual = Go to a specific location, as defined by GPS coordinates. Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

User Created Challenge = Go to a specific location, as defined by GPS coordinates. Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

Locationless = Go to a non-specific location, as defined by the person who created it. (Could be dang near anywhere) Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

Worldwide Challenge = Go to a non-specific location, as defined by the person who created it. (Could be dang near anywhere) Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

As analogies go, it ain't perfect, I know, but it does seem to fit, so long as you don't delve too deep into the details. Of course there are differences between them. If there were no differences, we'd have virtuals back, and all the headaches that came with them.

I figure I'll give these things a sporting chance, and treat them just like geocaches. If I see one that holds my interest, I'll go do it. If I see one that doesn't hold my interest, I won't do it. I don't see any wisdom is tossing the baby out with the bath water.

Yes, there are a few challenges that require a picture of a location without any tasks attached but they are rare and keep getting voted down.

That's true. But rather than give up on the whole idea, ask yourself why these few gems keep getting voted down. My guess is, there are a handful of petulant mooks who have declared a Jihad against all challenges, spitefully pouting because Groundspeak didn't give them exactly what they wanted. In other forums I participate in, I've seen posts suggesting just such a response, along with the suggestion of, "Keep creating hordes of bad ones till we crash the servers", with a few folks agreeing with the guys posting such silliness.

User Created Challenges have potential, as they were conceived.

These guys are wrecking that potential.

It's not the fault of Challenges, themselves.

It's the fault of a few troubled individuals.

Definitely! The Mrs. and I love the idea of the old virtuals. We've been able to see things that we never knew existed and have a couple of places that we want to make challenges. If you want to get technical about it, the location itself is the cache container, just on a grander scale.

Complaining that location-based challenges shouldn't count towards finds while having virtuals and other container-less caches logged as finds? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Some numbers (and likely consequences) that I noticed:

Worldwide number of geocachers (according to GS): 5,000,000

Number who voted "Bring Back Virtuals" in the feedback forum: 3843 (.0007% of total).

GS announces Challenges as a replacement for Virtuals.

Number who voted "Don't Make Completions the Same as Finds": 5358 (.001% of total).

(Members can vote up to 3 times for a topic, so number of actual members likely even less than the amounts shown above.)

GS relents and agrees to break out Challenges from total cache finds.

Consequences: Virtuals are not going to be brought back and Challenges are now guaranteed to meet the same fate as waymarks.

A couple of things come to mind:

THE SQUEAKIEST WHEEL GETS THE MOST GREASE.

TYRANNY OF THE MINORITY.

The 99.99% of us who rarely or never post to the forums, participate in the feedback forum, or get involved in important community issues can all learn a very important lesson from this sad experience...

To each his/her own I suppose. If you enjoy doing a challenge by all means do it and then come home and find that it has got too many thumbs down and be disappointed.

Of the 4 caches I have done since the Block Party, 2 were good virtuals. I can decide for myself whether a virtual is good enough to spend my time looking for the answers at the site.

I did my first geocaching challenge in 2006. The goal at that time was to find the highest D+T geocache in each of the 36 Counties of Oregon GCR9XY. I ended up tied with PMOGUY at the end of the year with the maximum number of points. THAT is a real challenge, not picking the boogers out of the nose of the troll under a bridge in Seattle.

I may change my mind, but for now, NO I will not be doing any challenges.

I did my first geocaching challenge in 2006.

Bingo! Someone understands what a challenge cache is.

:)

So as the new experience gets the kinks worked out, one of the fixes should be... "What should we call these new things?" Challenges is obviously already taken.

Edited by GeoBlank

I am very disappointed by the development that challenge completions will not be counted with my overall finds total. A challenge, if properly designed according to the rules, is supposed to take the participant to a specific spot to perform a specific task in order to get a "completion". This is exactly what you have to do in order to log one of the grandfathered virtuals as a find. Events, CITOs, Virtuals, Webcams, Earth caches, etc. all count as "finds". And now challenges don't. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand. It seems quite inconsistent to me. I don't believe there will be much interest in challenges now and they will soon fade away. I have did 6 of them before the feedback decision, but I am unlikely to do very many more.

I'm mostly in agreement with you, as, according to my highly biased caching aesthetic, anything without a container is not a geocache. (It's a quirk, I know...) I just don't let this particular belief stop me from doing them, if they interest me. If TPTB were to ask my opinion, I would vote for all cache types without a container to not be counted toward my "Total Caches Found" number, though I would like them tracked on one site. That's why I suggested treating them like benchmarks.

It would be nice to have the cache total displayed as a split like Total (Physical/Virtual) with traditional, multis, puzzles and wherigos in the physical count and events, ECs, virtuals, webcams all in the virtual count. Mine would be 4877 (4760/117) for example.

I do gotta disagree with your notion regarding locations vs. actions. Both user created challenges and virtuals are strictly location based. You and I could not create a challenge that doesn't take you to a specific spot, without violating the guidelines. As for answering questions about a site vs. doing something at a site, both are tasks, defined by the creator. Which is why I feel the earlier comparison worked rather well;

You misunderstand me. "Location based" is not the same as "about a location". And most action challenges are location based only because Groundspeak has forced people to put them somewhere. "Wear a hat" becomes "Where a hat at this spot". The location is not the focus, it's only there to appease the guidelines. It can be moved to another random spot and it's still the same challenge.

Virtuals on the other had tend to be about specific locations. "Go to this spot and tell me what battle was fought there" is about the location. You can't move it to another random spot as it won't be about that battle anymore.

See the distinction?

Virtual = Go to a specific location, as defined by GPS coordinates. Do a specific task. Discover something about that location. Post a log telling about your adventure.

User Created Challenge = Go to a specific location, as defined by GPS coordinates. Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

Virtuals were about discovering something at a specific location. Discovering that information, while technically a task, is not the same as doing some arbitrary action. I don't consider reading a sign or taking photos a task any more than I consider walking a task.

Locationless = Go to Find a non-specific location with a specific object, as defined by the person who created it. (Could be dang near anywhere) Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

Worldwide Challenge = Go to a non-specific location, as defined by the person who created it. (Could be dang near anywhere) Do a specific task. Post a log telling about your adventure.

All the locationless listings I've seen were about finding a specific object or place just like Waymarking is now. No actions required.

As analogies go, it ain't perfect, I know, but it does seem to fit, so long as you don't delve too deep into the details. Of course there are differences between them. If there were no differences, we'd have virtuals back, and all the headaches that came with them.

There was only one problem and that was the review process. The EC model could have been adopted to solve that.

I figure I'll give these things a sporting chance, and treat them just like geocaches. If I see one that holds my interest, I'll go do it. If I see one that doesn't hold my interest, I won't do it. I don't see any wisdom is tossing the baby out with the bath water.

The difference is that I wouldn't refuse finding a geocache if someone took me to one I would not normally hunt for. Not so for challenges. If someone took me to a action challenge there's a good chance I wouldn't do it. There's way too many that would end up on my ignore list if there were an ignore list.

Virtuals were about discovering something at a specific location.

I don't know where you get that part from. I'd say that the majority of virtuals that I've done so far weren't about discovering anything. They were simple "go there and take a picture" or "go there and tell me the second word on the plaque" kinda things. Some didn't even have proper logging requirements listed, you could only guess that the CO wants you to post a picture. In all of those cases, you already knew exactly where the coords were pointing and what was there. The percentage of virtuals that had you look for something specific and didn't tell you beforehand what it was is rather small.

I don't know where you get that part from. I'd say that the majority of virtuals that I've done so far weren't about discovering anything. They were simple "go there and take a picture" or "go there and tell me the second word on the plaque" kinda things. Some didn't even have proper logging requirements listed, you could only guess that the CO wants you to post a picture. In all of those cases, you already knew exactly where the coords were pointing and what was there. The percentage of virtuals that had you look for something specific and didn't tell you beforehand what it was is rather small.

If that's all you got out of finding virtuals I'm really sorry for you. Your loss.

Yes, I knew in general what would be there but not the specifics. That's the discovery part. These are my virtual finds:

GC322A - War memorial questions.

GCAE48 - Test your GPS. Post coordinates at survey marker.

GCC170 - Korean war questions.

GC803E - Naval memorial question.

GC85CA - Geography and botany question.

GCFE89 - Questions about a wood carving in the woods.

GCFE89 - Test your GPS. See how accurate your GPS is. Photo near survey pillar.

GC9639 - History questions about Underground Railroad.

GC6C22 - History questions about Ouendat First Nation.

GCHW7V - History question about Peterbourough Lift Lock.

GC7AFA - History question about the Bruce Trail.

GC63F5 - Geography questions.

GC63F5 - History questions.

GC8CFA - Photo next to an active geological formation.

GCAE48 - Photo at a scenic location.

All were about that specific location. You can't move them anywhere else. I'll take those 16 virtuals over a hundred action challenges any day.

Yes, yes, someone is going to tell me "Test your GPS" is a task. Creating a waypoint on your GPSr is a basic geocaching skill, no more a task than walking.

Edited by Avernar
Yes, yes, someone is going to tell me "Test your GPS" is a task.

No (good point though :)), but I'm going to tell you that I don't consider most of these to be discovering anything. Reading some information off a sign is just means of proving that you were there, nothing more. But if you think that answering some questions makes a good virtual, then you can just wait for the planned "discovery" challenge type, which apparently will implement exactly that.

No (good point though :)), but I'm going to tell you that I don't consider most of these to be discovering anything. Reading some information off a sign is just means of proving that you were there, nothing more.

I guess that's why you don't understand why people like virtuals so much. To you it's "Yay, my GPSr reads the same coordinates that were in the listing. Now I have to answer some stupid questions". To me it's "The GPSr has shown me where I have to be. Now what does the CO want me to learn/discover about this place?"

But if you think that answering some questions makes a good virtual, then you can just wait for the planned "discovery" challenge type, which apparently will implement exactly that.

No. I think learning something interesting about a place makes a good virtual. Hopefully the discovery challenge type will be more like virtuals and not turn into "What color is the lightbulb on the corner?" type things.

Edited by Avernar
No. I think learning something interesting about a place makes a good virtual. Hopefully the discovery challenge type will be more like virtuals and not turn into "What color is the lightbulb on the corner?" type things.

I'm sure there will be, because there used to be virtuals of exactly that type. An often-cited example was a virtual where the CO tossed an old sneaker in the woods and asked people what make it was. :huh:

Penosha Trail Hike

Hike (by foot) the whole of the Penosha Trail in the Brighton Rec Area; roughly 5 miles. When...

Nope I wont bother to log it because I have done it at least 10 times a year for the last 15 years. Besides the "roughly 5 miles" is incorrect even as far as roughly goes considering it is over 7 miles long.
Pie-eating challenge

To complete this challenge, you must eat an entire piece of pie with both hands behind your back...

Get real.
Kayak / Canoe / Tube under M-14

The Huron River is a wonderful river to Kayak / Canoe / Tube. It is about 136 miles in length,...

Oh wow a whole 30 feet!
Phooning at the Coffee Shop

This is a challenge for those geocachers who attend our twice monthly coffee shop event. To...

Can't that get you arrested for doing in public? BADUMPA TISH!

None of it is geocaching, so no.

Virtuals were about discovering something at a specific location.

I don't know where you get that part from. I'd say that the majority of virtuals that I've done so far weren't about discovering anything. They were simple "go there and take a picture" or "go there and tell me the second word on the plaque" kinda things.

Like there are Earthcaches that are like that, there are virtuals like that, but there are many which are different.

E.g. consider these two virtuals by a friend of mine

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2784b95a-4184-4f6c-8661-17624b628398

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8c7d4c19-1202-4314-bb39-eb947a09258c

My own virtual is also very different from what you write. It even contains multi and puzzle elements.

Most of the virtuals I know did not require a photograph, but had other log verfication procedures that I preferred by far. i hardly ever have a camera with me and if there is one thing that I really hate, it's picture of myself - also if only I have to see them and no one else.

Currently challenges offer hardly anything else than taking photos - that reminds me much more of locationless caching into which I have never been than of virtuals.

Even in those cases where one already knows what is waiting at a location like here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b4ea6ada-9b31-4fe5-aa6c-ac07daacba59

(a church)

that does not mean that one knows which object is the object asked for in the verification question.

You can argue that you can find the church without a GPSr, but the same is true for almost all urban traditionals in my area - I go there routinely without GPS-r even for nanos and micros. The map is often more precise than my GPSr.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

But if you think that answering some questions makes a good virtual, then you can just wait for the planned "discovery" challenge type, which apparently will implement exactly that.

For me what their plan rather reads like that one can ask a single question with a fixed answer that could lead to a password for logging and not being allowed to ask several questions including questions with a text reply like in Earthcaches or like I am using in my own virtual caches.

As there is no owner involvement, I cannot imagine that they will come up with something similar as it was possible for virtuals and as still exists for Earthcaches.

Cezanne

I'm sure there will be, because there used to be virtuals of exactly that type. An often-cited example was a virtual where the CO tossed an old sneaker in the woods and asked people what make it was. :huh:

So you're saying that challenges, which were supposed to solve the problems that virtuals had, are going to have the same problems. :anibad:

So you're saying that challenges, which were supposed to solve the problems that virtuals had, are going to have the same problems. :anibad:

Well yes, of course, since they follow a very similar concept :unsure:

The difference is that challenges offer a possible solution to some of those problems: community review. We don't know yet if it's gonna work or not, but it might.

I'm not really sure how I feel about challenges at this point. I did a couple of them to see how everything works and what-not, but I haven't been overly excited about the challenges that are out there at this point. Also the initial rush of poorly implemented challenges put me off a little. Yeah, I know I could place my own challenges instead of sitting here complaining about them, but I just don't care enough, or have a good enough feel for them right now to do that. I wouldn't want to create a lame challenge, or create one and then find I have zero interest in challenges. I plan to take a look at them again in some time to see if anything has changed, since I pretty much felt the same way about locationless caches at first too. Once I did some of them, and weeded out what didn't appeal to me, I enjoyed them.

I also don't care about challenges showing as part of the find count. At first it bothered me a little, but it's easy enough to see what part of that total is caches and what part is challenges. If someone loves challenges and jacks their numbers up, it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

I don't know where you get that part from. I'd say that the majority of virtuals that I've done so far weren't about discovering anything. They were simple "go there and take a picture" or "go there and tell me the second word on the plaque"

I think that's an important point. While the intent of many virtuals was to show someone something, or educate people, I just don't think that really happened. When a virt asked for the second word on the plaque, I think few people bothered to actually read anything beyond that. So, sure, they were there, and they got the right answer, but they still knew nothing about why the plaque was there.

GC322A - War memorial questions.

GCAE48 - Test your GPS. Post coordinates at survey marker.

GCC170 - Korean war questions.

GC803E - Naval memorial question.

GC85CA - Geography and botany question.

GCFE89 - Questions about a wood carving in the woods.

GCFE89 - Test your GPS. See how accurate your GPS is. Photo near survey pillar.

GC9639 - History questions about Underground Railroad.

GC6C22 - History questions about Ouendat First Nation.

GCHW7V - History question about Peterbourough Lift Lock.

GC7AFA - History question about the Bruce Trail.

GC63F5 - Geography questions.

GC63F5 - History questions.

GC8CFA - Photo next to an active geological formation.

GCAE48 - Photo at a scenic location.

That's a nice looking group of virtuals. I would be glad to do most of them.

Though I'm not seeing what maks them any different from Challenges.

For instance, pretend for a moment that I created the following challenges:

(The CX numbers and titles are obviously imaginary)

CX322A Lest we Forget..., Go to the National Monument located at N 43° 38.522 W 079° 44.950, Read the plaque and learn the unique history of this memorial. Then check out the three flag poles. Take some time to learn what they represent. Post a non-spoiler picture showing yourself near the memorial.

CXC170 Keeping the Memory Alive, Go to the Korean War Memorial located at N 43° 38.915 W 079° 55.762. Join me in remembering all the locals who made the ultimate sacrifice. Check out the time capsule and make a mental note of the date. Will you be able to attend its opening? I know I'll be there. Post a picture at the memorial.

CX803E So We Could Be Free, Go to the memorable location at N 43° 19.410 W 079° 47.780. Take some time to read the plaques and discover for yourself what is there. Some things to ponder while you are there include asking yourself what the figure atop the structure is doing, and when this structure was dedicated. Post a picture of yourself at the structure.

CX85CA The Chaplain's View, Go to N 43° 17.421 W 079° 56.146 to see a truly remarkable view. While you are there, head over to N43 17.131 W79 56.213 and N43 17.034 W79 56 278 where you'll find a couple informational plaques. Read these and gain the wisdom therein. Post a picture from each location.

CXFE89 Bruce Trail Break, Step off the Bruce Trail to this magical spot at N 43° 07.779 W 079° 13.999. Enjoy the carvings, left here for your enjoyment by a retired dentist who spends his days back here turning nature into art. Post a picture of your favorite carving.

CX9639 The Other End of the Trail, Go to a cairn located at N 43° 09.483 W 079° 03.077, marking the southern terminus of The Bruce Trail. You'll find some numbers carved into the cairn. Can you figure out what they represent? Please keep the answer to yourself. After soaking in the ambiance, proceed to N 43' 09 736, W 79' 03 268, where you'll find a big ugly rock. Can you find the name of the person who placed that rock there? I'm thinking he must've been a pretty hefty dude! Please don't post the dude's name. Let's keep it a surprise. While you're there, you should wander over to the General Brock memorial nearby and check out his horse. Kewl name for a horse, huh? Again, let's keep the name a surprise for the next intrepid wanderer. Post a picture of yourself at all three locations.

CX6C22 Ossossane Ossuary, The Huron, also known as The Ouendat First Nation, followed what many believe to be a unique burial custom. They buried their dead in temporary graves, then later disinterred the bones, burying them at a communal site. Go to N 44° 40.950 W 079° 57.074, where you'll find one such site. While you are there, check out the informational plaque to learn some unique historic facts about the place, to include, who was the first European to witness the reburial ceremony, how many individuals were interred during the ceremony, what year was the ceremony held and who rediscovered the bone bit in 1947? Please don't post the answers to these questions. Post a picture of yourself at the site.

CXHW7V Peterborough Hydraulic Lift Lock, Go to N 44° 18.470 W 078° 18.055, where you'll find a plaque commemorating the lock. Read the plaque and learn its amazing history. Post a picture of yourself at the location.

CX7AFA End of the Trail, Go to N 45° 15.309 W 081° 39.783 where you'll discover a memorial cairn located at the northern terminus of The Bruce Trail, which commemorates a ten-day walk from Tobermory to Owen Sound undertaken as part of the Commonwealth Expedition in Canada. Read the information provided to learn the history behind this walk. Post a photo of yourself at the site.

CX63F5 Which way down?, Go to N 47° 29.018 W 081° 50.749, where you will discover a place of geographic significance. Check out the elevation listed there. If you want, compare it with the reading on your GPSr. Post a photo of yourself at the site.

CX8CFA Hot-Hot-Hot, Go to N 37° 46.930 W 025° 30.019, a lovely spot in Sao Miguel. Take a picture of yourself at the site.

CXAE48 Miradouro, Go take a drive along the shoreline of Sao Miguel Portugal. When you get to my favorite pull off spot at N 37° 47.377 W 025° 08.721, take a picture. If you bring a lunch, you'll find a picnic table nearby.

In creating these fictional Challenges, I simply replicated the Virtual cache you mentioned. I couldn't do this with all of them, obviously, as you have some numeric duplication, but you get the idea. By doing them as Challenges, you would be brought to the exact same spot as the Virtual, experiencing the exact same thing the Virtual offered. If your argument is that Challenges have no feeling of discovery, these would prove you wrong, as, in each one, the player is being directed to the same thing(s) that the Virtuals were directing them to. The information in the imaginary Challenge write ups came directly from the Virtual cache page. Since each of these sites were mentioned by you as worthy Virtuals, I can only assume that they would be worthy Challenges, as well, disproving the notion that Challenges don't bring folks to interesting spots.

I gotta say, from here, it looks like your only valid complaints against Challenges are that they are not owned once they are published, and as such, there is little control over who posts what. It's hard to argue with that, as I mostly agree with it. I would rather see Challenges belonging to the account who created them. But that's not my call. If I have an opportunity to go to a way kewl location, and learn some neat stuff about it, I'm not going to forgo that chance simply because the medium which tempts me is called a Challenge and not a Virtual. That would be way too petulant for my tastes.

Edited by Clan Riffster

That's a nice looking group of virtuals. I would be glad to do most of them.

Though I'm not seeing what maks them any different from Challenges.

The difference is that for virtuals you have to find the information to log it, for challenges you just have to take a picture. Yes, some people will do the bare minimum at virtuals too but at least they have to do a bit of searching for the info. This will change when the question challenges are implemented.

For instance, pretend for a moment that I created the following challenges:

Unfortunately those kinds of challenges are rare. People seem to be more interested in creating silly action challenges. There are not enough challenges like those to make it worth my while pouring through the challenge lists looking for the one rare gem. Again, this may change when question challenges are implemented.

In creating these fictional Challenges, I simply replicated the Virtual cache you mentioned. I couldn't do this with all of them, obviously, as you have some numeric duplication, but you get the idea. By doing them as Challenges, you would be brought to the exact same spot as the Virtual, experiencing the exact same thing the Virtual offered. If your argument is that Challenges have no feeling of discovery, these would prove you wrong, as, in each one, the player is being directed to the same thing(s) that the Virtuals were directing them to. The information in the imaginary Challenge write ups came directly from the Virtual cache page. Since each of these sites were mentioned by you as worthy Virtuals, I can only assume that they would be worthy Challenges, as well, disproving the notion that Challenges don't bring folks to interesting spots.

They would be if people were creating challenges like that. They are not so your argument doesn't mean much. "This fast food restaurant would be just as good as the upscale restaurant if they just started serving better food. They even have one menu item that's just as good as the upscale place."

Yes, there may be a few good ones but they're rare. Until the question challenges are created I think they're going to continue being rare.

When I go caching and see the virtual cache icon on the screen I'm pretty much guaranteed it's going to be good. Challenges, I have to spend my time on the computer hunting for the one or two good ones.

I gotta say, from here, it looks like your only valid complaints against Challenges are that they are not owned once they are published, and as such, there is little control over who posts what. It's hard to argue with that, as I mostly agree with it. I would rather see Challenges belonging to the account who created them.

My other complaint is valid too as your argument that "They can be just as good" doesn't hold water when they currently aren't good. If that changes in the future then my complaint will be invalidated.

But that's not my call. If I have an opportunity to go to a way kewl location, and learn some neat stuff about it, I'm not going to forgo that chance simply because the medium which tempts me is called a Challenge and not a Virtual. That would be way too petulant for my tastes.

I'm not forgoing them because I hate challenges. I'm forgoing them because there are no tools currently for me to filter the few good challenges from the majority of bad.

Edited by Avernar
...there are no tools...

That I can agree with. I would like to see a bare minimum of tools available to the players. At the very least, I'd like to see a searchable map. As it stands, finding a Challenge in my area is kinda stodgy. If this idea takes off, then perhaps a PQ option? Though withoout more creator entered criteria similar to the D/T ratings given to caches, I'm not sure how filtering would work.

It's true there are a lot of Challenges that don't meet your expectations, and a method to refine a search so you end up with ones you would like would help a lot. Have you looked at the thread promoting what folks feel are quality Challenges? In reading that thread, I see several that would seemingly fit your bill of interesting places, though they still fail to meet your need for owner control over the player's activities.

You could take a preemptive position, creating the types of Challenges you would like to see, in the hope of inspiring others to create what you would find acceptable, or you could simply shout from the rooftops that you don't like them. Seems like the former would be more productive, but ultimately, it's your call.

You could take a preemptive position, creating the types of Challenges you would like to see, in the hope of inspiring others to create what you would find acceptable, or you could simply shout from the rooftops that you don't like them. Seems like the former would be more productive, but ultimately, it's your call.

I may create some to see the how they are received by the local cachers but not right now. I'm waiting till the protests settle down a bit more. The find count change should help with this.