Will you actually do challenges?

Coldgears

Just curious, because I think the whole idea is ridiculous. I just plan on virtually visiting locations on the map, and saying I've been there to increase my find count. (Places I've actually been, so if a challenge involves you talking to a stilted man at Virginia Beach I can get a smiley on my couch because I did it before challenges were added).

Anyone else not actually going to go out and do any of them?

Anyone who will actually do them?

I think this is a unique thread, because it is not about discussing whether you like them and/or what could be improved. Rather, will you actually do them, regardless of if you like them. (I like the idea immensely, but don't want to spend my time doing them)

I have already done one and created one. If I see another that appeals to me, then yes, I will do it. There's a couple - one for landmarks and another for trails - that I may just do in conjunction with caching....

edit to correct typo - my keyboard is slower than my fingers tonight!

Edited by popokiiti

If the count had nothing to do with cache counts I would probably do a few of them. They should either be separate like trackables or separate like Waymarking.com. As long as the numbers are integrated with cache count I will not participate. I play around with apps like foursquare on my phone and have fun with them but that is for a different sort of experience than why I geocache. I don't want to blur the lines between the 2.

edit to correct typo - my keyboard is slower than my fingers tonight!

Um, no. Your fingers are slower than your brain. Don't blame your keyboard for your shortcomings. :blink:

I already did the famous landmark one, and submitted two of my own. I'll do more if I can.

Really, the keyboard is waaaay behind my fingers....it's behaving like molasses in the winter time!

Just curious, because I think the whole idea is ridiculous. I just plan on virtually visiting locations on the map, and saying I've been there to increase my find count. (Places I've actually been, so if a challenge involves you talking to a stilted man at Virginia Beach I can get a smiley on my couch because I did it before challenges were added).

I think this is a unique thread, because it is not about discussing whether you like them and/or what could be improved. Rather, will you actually do them, regardless of if you like them. (I like the idea immensely, but don't want to spend my time doing them)

So your find count is more important than your integrity. Got it.

People are challenging you to do something. Not asking if you have.

Just like caches I imagine we'll do the one's that tickle our fancy when we're in the right area and walk on by the rest. We all have subtly different ways of caching but I welcome the addition of something new and I'm glad that it is accessible through the same interface rather than being split off on a seperate website.

Basically, if players place interesting Challenges, I'll do them. If the goofy entries from the first day continue, I'll probably bypass them.

I will place Challenges that I think are interesting and hope other enjoy them too.

As one that sat through the Virtuals, Locationless and ALR debates and debacles, Challenges seem to be a really good implementation to bring these back.

I will do those which remind me of the quality Virtuals of the past. I will not go back and "find" them retroactively since that would mess with my Find count and milestones.

I'll ignore the rest, unless they decide to not count them as Finds in which case I'm game to act stupid once in awhile too.

I will definitely do those that require me to visit a place and do an action related to the place.

I did CXB00 yesterday that required me to go to a local landmark and take my picture with my arm around the statue. To have it track in GSAK, I had to manually enter it.

Set CXB8D yesterday that requires one to go to a local statue snd take a photograph. I have tried to maintain a cache there, but it kept disappearing....four times. I definitely think it is worthy of a cache, but since I cannot keep a cache active, I have been waiting for the "new virtual", a challenge.

Today I am going hiking with some fellow cachers. One of the challenges is to take a photo on a hike. I will do that and see how I feel about it as an appropriate challenge.

I do not plan on doing challenges that I could do without leaving my home.

I will continue to do virtual caches.

Basically, if players place interesting Challenges, I'll do them. If the goofy entries from the first day continue, I'll probably bypass them.

I will place Challenges that I think are interesting and hope other enjoy them too.

As one that sat through the Virtuals, Locationless and ALR debates and debacles, Challenges seem to be a really good implementation to bring these back.

I think the key for challenges to work is for those who are interested in them to place quality challenges. Unfortunately I find the 1 a day limit to be a constricting because I have dozens of ideas right now. But I agree with the need for it because otherwise people would be tossing out silly challenges like bird seed.

I will certainly do challenges that I find interesting.

Edited by briansnat

I've published 2 Challenges and have 2 more saved to published in the future.

As for doing them myself:

-if Challenges are changed to be separate from my Total Finds, I will do any I come across that I like.

-if Challenges remain part of my Total Finds, I will only do the ones that I feel would make a good Virtual (or in the case of "Pick up 10 pieces of trash" it classifies as a CITO)

Edited by Joshism

I may do them if there are any which I find interesting. Currently, there are exactly none listed as being near my home location and I have to hunt around randomly in order to even find one or two.

I probably will not do any which give away the location in the description.

I've published 2 Challenges and have 2 more saved to published in the future.

As for doing them myself:

-if Challenges are changed to be separate from my Total Finds, I will do any I come across that I like.

-if Challenges remain part of my Total Finds, I will only do the ones that I feel would make a good Virtual (or in the case of "Pick up 10 pieces of trash" it classifies as a CITO)

This is my attitude toward them. I was never a big fan of virts, but I'll do ones that look good. And I want my count to reflect "Go here and find/see this" finds.

I probably won't do Worldwide ones -- that's what Waymarking is for.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I did one. It was basically enough for me.

I'm not a big fan of the take a picture of yourself at any particular spot. I didn't like it with earth caches, never liked it with virtuals and since many of the challenges are that I can't see myself actually doing them. Plus I appreciate a good solid write of why I'm somewhere (with virtuals as well). Challenges that I've looked at are lacking in write up.

I've also done other things briefly like foursquare and it didn't bring any added enjoyment to my life and this feels too much like that.

I like to geocache. I'm going to keep it simple and just simply geocache. I didn't need virtuals or locationless caches to come back. I was indifferent to them coming back but seeing this implementation of them I'm probably opting out of these.

I may do some interesting ones if I notice they are there (which has been my attitude toward virtuals all along) Initially I've hated that doing any will "contaminate" my count of "real" finds and I've thought about creating a second account just to log challenges if I ever do any.

Upon calming down and thinking about it I realize this really is no different than including virtuals and locationless (and events) in my found count. But I am approaching a major caches found milestone and I will be careful not to log any challenges until I'm past that. So the milestone will be by the old rules.

I might possibly try, what i think, are more interesting challenges. But, and this is a BIG BUT,, i won't attempt any if they affect my geocaching find count. As they are now, challenges are not geocaches and i don't want logging them to affect my geocache count in any way...

I will do those which remind me of the quality Virtuals of the past. I will not go back and "find" them retroactively since that would mess with my Find count and milestones.

I'll ignore the rest, unless they decide to not count them as Finds in which case I'm game to act stupid once in awhile too.

Agreed! I think if they didn't count I would have fun doing the silly ones with my daughter. Thinking about doing them, not 'finding' them, and creating a photo album just for fun and memories. This way I can have fun, but not add to my cache count.

Agreed! I think if they didn't count I would have fun doing the silly ones with my daughter. Thinking about doing them, not 'finding' them, and creating a photo album just for fun and memories. This way I can have fun, but not add to my cache count.

You might consider creating a second account to use to complete those silly challenges. You won't be able to create challenges using that account (assuming you don't pay for a PM), but you can still use that to complete them, and that way have a record of what you've done.

to get back to the original question - I kissed a frog and then realized how silly that was and deleted it, but will do challenges that closely represent what "original Virtuals" were - so some photo challenges I will attempt, but not the silly ones!

This pretty much sums up my intentions as well. I also "unkissed the frog." I also plan to do challenges that closely represent what "original Virtuals" were and maybe some others that seem worthwhile, like the Litter pickup--I did that one.

Do you also armchair other type listings to increase your finds? Many of us like the challanges, but people like you that are not willing to ignore them are trying to disrupt our fun. I think that you should respect others and let us enjoy our challanges.

There probably are may worthwhile ones, but with no way to download, save, or manage the 'waypoints', it would be hard to do them efficiently. I guess there are only two in Arizona right now, but since I don't know the search radius when searching by zip code I can't really say.

Do I need to get a zip code directory?

How can you look them up when you are in the field?

I'll be waiting to see if there is any improvement, but I doubt any of the issues (that many have pointed out) will ever be addressed.

So, as they exist today; no, I won't be logging any

Do you also armchair other type listings to increase your finds? Many of us like the challanges, but people like you that are not willing to ignore them are trying to disrupt our fun. I think that you should respect others and let us enjoy our challanges.

No, not armchair logging. Retroactivly logging challenges I have done before someone posted it on the website.

Challenges combine many things that are against Geocaching guidelines. And yet they count as Find. I still haven't been able to wrap my head around that. The alien web page with just a single Challenge on it, means I'm certainly not doing any now.

I might incorporate nearby challenges into my cache pages as a convenience to others. "On your way to this cache, be sure to stop at Pavilion 12 and make jazz hands. It counts as another Find."

I've been unsuccessful in getting friends and relatives interested in Geocaching. But I will definitely ask if they'd rather kiss a frog.

Edited by kunarion

With my kid's some of the silly challenges could be fun but even my 8 year old says that they are not real caches and then questions me why they should count. The family agreement is that we will not be doing any of them until the are of a count of their own. Not a hover over and we will split them up for you a complete different count list.

I think the key for challenges to work is for those who are interested in them to place quality challenges. Unfortunately I find the 1 a day limit to be a constricting because I have dozens of ideas right now. But I agree with the need for it because otherwise people would be tossing out silly challenges like bird seed.

Yes I too will do them. I agree with Brian, I have several challenges cued up. GOF & I have been trying to create some quality ones in our area. He just posted a great one today. I have several more ideas on paper.

With my kid's some of the silly challenges could be fun but even my 8 year old says that they are not real caches and then questions me why they should count. The family agreement is that we will not be doing any of them until the are of a count of their own. Not a hover over and we will split them up for you a complete different count list.

Ya right, your eight year must have had an ear full and help with that determination no doubt.

Yes I too will do them. I agree with Brian, I have several challenges cued up. GOF & I have been trying to create some quality ones in our area. He just posted a great one today. I have several more ideas on paper.

Thanks Frank. Number two was late last night. Just published Number tree.

Yeah, as people start to place them around here, I expect I will end up doing them. There's only 1 within 20 miles of me so far. I'll do that one if I ever happen to go that way for some other reason.

Challenges really need downloadable GPX files(PQs) if they are going to become popular. Attributes and terrain ratings would be good too.

I have an idea to set a challenge myself. I think it would be a good one in an interesting, out of the way spot. But I think I'm going to wait for some of the turmoil to die down before I go get the coordinates and write it up.

I'm surprised at how many people are so into their numbers. Even the ones who claimed they hated PT and LPCs. I wonder if getting rid of stats altogether would improve the quality of caches.

My new favorite are earthcaches. These actually have work and thought put into them and I learn somethings! Awesome.

I recently did my first EarthCache and loved it. Great walk and lesson about a local spot hidden in my city.

No, not armchair logging. Retroactivly logging challenges I have done before someone posted it on the website.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I don't see any problem with that. I made the requirements of my first challange to post a photo mimicing Jeremy's trade mark photo with the sign language. I centered the location to a store in my hometown. In a rural area like here the store sells everything from bait to burgers, and is a local hang out. I plan on creating another using my son's EarthCache, Sitting in the Channle of Big Stoney Creek. I need to upload the kids sliding down the channle to our Youtube geocaching videos. It' a good way to stay cool, that high mountain water is cold. If all goes well we are hiking into the Devil's Bathtub for a swim. It is a listed EC, and may make a nice challange. The hike itself is a challange.

I'll be doing challenges. If there are any that look particularly interesting, I might go out of my way to do them, but there currently isn't an easy way to search for these. For uninteresting challenges, I might do them if I'm in the area for other reasons just to kick the tires and see if they do anything for me. Kind of like the way I treat Waypoints. So far, I've done 5 challenges and none of them have turned my crank.

I'd prefer that challenge completions not be merged with cache finds, but it's easy enough for me to separate the counts. I won't boycott challenges to preserve the "integrity" of my find count, because I don't care what other people think of my find count. I know how many "finds" I have, however I define those to be. I won't be completing challenges retroactively.

I might create some challenges down the road, after the dust settles a bit. I will have completed my created challenges, but I don't think I'll log these completions.

If the count had nothing to do with cache counts I would probably do a few of them. They should either be separate like trackables or separate like Waymarking.com. As long as the numbers are integrated with cache count I will not participate.

What if I were to create a photo challenge requiring you to go to a specific place, say, Junior Blank's Watering Hole, and say you had to take a picture of yourself by the location to get credit. Should that count toward your find count? If so, why? If I created an action challenge requiring that you post a photo of yourself drinking the water from there, should that count toward your find count? Again, if so, why?

What if Groundspeak created a worldwide challenge named, oh, I don't know, say Twin Towers II, which required that you take a photo of yourself near any nuclear power plant. Should that count toward your find count? If so, why?

The first link is to the virtual you currently own. Will you be deleting the finds on that one, seeing as how you don't think that going to a specific location and taking a picture should count as a find? The second link is to the locationless cache you own. Same question. Will you be deleting the find logs on it, since you don't believe that going somewhere that is not location specific and doing some task should count toward your find count?

A "No" to either of those questions would make you seem hypocritical.