iPhone v4.5.5 Release Notes

A new update to the Geocaching for iPhone Application is now available in the iTunes Store.

Previous version release notes

Updates include:

New features:

• Support for “visiting” Trackables in caches

• Favorite points display in search results and geocache details

• Ability to request more than the last 5 cache logs when viewing the logging activity of a cache

• Additional Waypoints is now a link on geocache details

Bug fixes:

• Photos from the cache page and logs are now combined when viewing a cache gallery

• Field Notes timestamp issues have been addressed

• Opencyclemaps are now working

• When going from the map to a cache and back to the map, the map will no longer forget the previous zoom level

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

• Ability to request more than the last 5 cache logs when viewing the logging activity of a cache

Cool. I also like that my own caches are now marked with a yellow star in the list and map view.

• When going from the map to a cache and back to the map, the map will no longer forget the previous zoom level

Hm, this does not seem to be working for me. Going from the List->Map->back to List->back to map does not preserve the zoom level of the previous map viewing.

Also, when viewing a cache, choosing ->Go to Geocache->changing zoom on map->going back to cache listing or to compass view->go back to map also forgets the previous zoom level.

Still, you've added some long missing features, so I'm glad for the update, thanks a bunch!

I installed the new update on my iPhone and cann't open my favorites anymore! Any idea someone?

Have the same problem on my iPhone with the new update can not open the favorites it crashes when I try and ends up crashing when I even try to add a new cache to a favorites list.

Ignored caches are still showing up in search results. :sad: Please fix this issue. The search eventually becomes useless since the only caches that show up (therefore taking up the 10, 20, or 30 results) are caches that should be ignored (ie: you know are not there). PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE SO THAT THE APP BECOMES USEFUL AGAIN to those of us who ignore many caches.

I installed the new update on my iPhone and cann't open my favorites anymore! Any idea someone?

Have the same problem on my iPhone with the new update can not open the favorites it crashes when I try and ends up crashing when I even try to add a new cache to a favorites list.

Same problem with the iPod Touch using a GPS cradle. I restored an older version of the app until this gets resolved.

Cool. I also like that my own caches are now marked with a yellow star in the list and map view.

Hm, this does not seem to be working for me. Going from the List->Map->back to List->back to map does not preserve the zoom level of the previous map viewing.

Also, when viewing a cache, choosing ->Go to Geocache->changing zoom on map->going back to cache listing or to compass view->go back to map also forgets the previous zoom level.

Still, you've added some long missing features, so I'm glad for the update, thanks a bunch!

The Map Zoom works for me. If I view a cache description then go back the map doesn't zoom all the way out!!!! Yay!

Ditto I don't use this feature but I am getting a crash when I select Favorites as well.

Ignored caches are still showing up in search results. :sad: Please fix this issue. The search eventually becomes useless since the only caches that show up (therefore taking up the 10, 20, or 30 results) are caches that should be ignored (ie: you know are not there). PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE SO THAT THE APP BECOMES USEFUL AGAIN to those of us who ignore many caches.

Yes this to me needs to be a top priority. Disabled and Ignored caches shouldn't show up in my search or at the very least I should have the option to toggle them on or off. This worked for the longest time, how did it break?

I restored an older version of the app until this gets resolved.

Is there a link to an older version of the app so I can once again download saved gpx files...sigh...??

Well, fortunately, I had an older version in iTunes on my PC, and I had not synced the iPod with iTunes in quite some time. So I deleted the latest update from my iPod and then synced the older version to the iPod from the PC. This will only work if you have an older version on your computer. And I lost all my saved data, like waypoints on multi caches that are "in progress" but I back up all my waypoints, so it wasn't too bad restoring the data.

Favorites crashes the app for me and the map zoom level is not being remembered for me either. Is there a certain type of map you have to be using in order for it to remember? Other than that a good update. Love the read more logs functionality.

Like many others, opening the saved list "Favourites" crashes for me with this new version and this is a feature I use a lot. A workaround seems to be to create a new list with another name (I called mine "test") and save to that instead of "Favorites"

Thank you for fixing the topo maps!

There still seems to be a bug with the maps though. Switching from topo or satellite map back to street makes my location dot disappear. It reappears after switching back only to topo or satellite.

Geocaching app v4.5.5

iPhone 4 4.3.3

The 10-mile search radius limitation was re-introduced in v. 4.5.5 (for both "find nearby" and "advanced search"). PLEASE DISABLE THIS LIMITATION OR INCREASE IT TO 50, AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I'd like to 2nd this. The 10 mile radius was introduced in a prior release and GS switched it to 50 (I think) after many of us voiced our dislike. WHY bring it back knowing how users feel about it and why try to sneak it in behind several other fixes without saying anything? I think that looks really bad on their part. It should have been included in the release notes.

I don't know if this goes hand in hand with the 10 mile radius, but with 4.5.5 we can no longer view the "Next 30 Caches" in the list or map views. In map view, when clicking Search, our only option is "Search Again From Here." I reinstalled 4.5.2 to confirm that this latest update removes this feature. If we set our personal settings to view 30 caches at a time (or 10/20 if you set it as such), we should be shown 30 caches at a time. And be able to click through to the next nearest set of 30. I'm not always caching on the fly and able to see nearest caches in that given area. I plan a lot of my outings from home and use "Next 30 Caches" often. I'll be using 4.5.2 until this is addressed.

The 10-mile search radius limitation was re-introduced in v. 4.5.5 (for both "find nearby" and "advanced search"). PLEASE DISABLE THIS LIMITATION OR INCREASE IT TO 50, AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I agree with Team Van Dyk! This is not a feature it is more like a bug a very least very annoying. At least provide access to a map so we can zoom out. Right now I have to turn on "Include my finds" and then use the map to move around. Please make the radius selectable as an option rather than a fixed number like the number of caches to return in a search.

This change in the latets version has rendered the Geocaching app virtually useless for me. I have no unfound cache for nearly 20 miles, so now when I "Find Nearby Geocaches", I get zero results. So this update discriminates against those living in the countryside, or who have found all of their closest caches.

I don't consider this a "feature" - I consider it a "bug" and I can't understand why the Groundspeak silence on this one. It's absolutely the most basic functionality of the app that has now been destroyed. The whole reason the app exists in the first place.

Can someone from Groundspeak provide an explanation as to why the 10 mile limitation was introduced (deliberately? accidentally?) and a timeline for the fix. Assuming an API call change might resolve this, I'm guessing that an app update wouldnt be required? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

In any case - I now have an app that I paid for, that I can't use.

Groundspeak - please tell us what's going on with this one, and provide an update to fix. Please. PLEASE?!?

Favorites AND Pocket Queries don't work anymore.

i just got to love the new PQ feature in which you were able to download even maps for offline use.

I am really disappointed that this feature now crashes the app every time I try to download my updated PQs.

Please update most urgently

Favorites AND Pocket Queries don't work anymore.

i just got to love the new PQ feature in which you were able to download even maps for offline use.

I am really disappointed that this feature now crashes the app every time I try to download my updated PQs.

Please update most urgently

There certainly seems something to be fishy with the app. I've yet to find a problem using favourites or pocket queries, they both work fine for me with 4.5.5. On the other hand, while others confirmed that the latest update fixed their "map forgets zoom level" issues, that problem still persists for me.

Apparently some things work for some people, while others work for other people. Bizzare.

Ah! I didn't realize this had been added. The problem is that it's sort of buried in the app.

You need to hit "Drop a Trackable" before the "Visit Geocache" option shows up. Which seems a bit counterintuitive. Maybe you could have "Visit" and "Drop" as options in the menu, the same way "Field Note" vs. "Log" are options under "Style" for submit?

Either way, thanks for the inclusion!

The 10-mile search radius issue is being discussed in this thread: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75277-Groundspeak-iphone-apps/suggestions/2006375-4-5-update-find-nearby-and-advanced-search-radiu

In that thread, Moun10Bike had this to say:

I have not updated the status on this topic as I didn't want to discourage further discussion, but I can tell you that the limit (which is 50 km, by the way) is something that has been intentionally made a part of the API. Here's why:

The search feature is an expensive one for the database. Previously, the API had no limits on distance, but would cap the number of results that could be returned. We had numerous issues where the servers would fail during high weekend activity due to the expensive calls being made. Since the phones are intended to be used to find caches nearby you when out in the field, the change to cap the distance was seen as both necessary and reasonable.

In the meantime, we have added more powerful search capabilities, most notably the Advanced Search.

If you need to find caches outside of your immediate area, the recommendation is to do a search as normal, select the map, pan to the area you want to check, then do another search from there.

Given these issues, are there any changes you want to see that we can add that will help you do what you need to do without causing problems with the system as a whole?

My response follows:

but I can tell you that the limit (which is 50 km, by the way) is something that has been intentionally made a part of the API

This is simply untrue. It is not 50km (~31 miles) for EITHER Advanced Search OR Basic Search. No search results are returned beyond 10 miles. This is true for both Advanced and Basic. If the Lackeys intended to bump it up to 50km, they have failed to do so. Fix it immediately. I'm not asking. I'm demanding. I'm a premium user who has paid for the iPhone app and dumped hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in your store. Fix. It. Now.

The search feature is an expensive one for the database. Previously, the API had no limits on distance, but would cap the number of results that could be returned. We had numerous issues where the servers would fail during high weekend activity due to the expensive calls being made. Since the phones are intended to be used to find caches nearby you when out in the field, the change to cap the distance was seen as both necessary and reasonable.

It is neither necessary nor reasonable. It is a ridiculous business model. If you're over capacity, the answer is to increase capacity, not decrease service to loyal paying customers (see above on that point). The increase in users which put you over capacity almost certainly came along with an increase in revenue which should be put to increasing capacity. It's quite simple, really. Decreasing the service you're providing me (and, again, that I've handsomely paid for) is downright theft. If the increased revenue resulting from the increase in the number of users that have pushed you over the edge is insufficient, then raise the rates. Problem solved. No theft.

In the meantime, we have added more powerful search capabilities, most notably the Advanced Search.

Which is completely useless. Think this through. Advanced Search permits us to filter search results, but because of this 10 mile cap, THERE ARE NO SEARCH RESULTS TO FILTER!

Given these issues, are there any changes you want to see that we can add that will help you do what you need to do without causing problems with the system as a whole?

See above. I'm paying your salaries, and I'm demanding that you fix this or AT LEAST do what you said you've done (increase it to 50km) which you clearly have not:

Screenshots:

Basic Search (bottom of list, no "Next 30", 9.9 miles furthest cache): 6105931422_914906f9e2.jpg

Advanced Search (bottom of list, no "Next 30" 9.9 miles furthest cache): 6105388399_ed56b3b4b8.jpg

I agree with Team Van Dyk. I realize I'm not a premium member, but I have bought the $10 app (which happens to be the most expensive app on my iPhone) and we invest our time & money into this hobby in other ways as well. The ability to use smartphones to cache has brought about a large increase in players, which in return has brought Groundspeak a large increase in revenue. You say smartphones are putting a strain on your system...I say use the added revenue from those smartphone users to beef up your system.

Since the phones are intended to be used to find caches nearby you when out in the field, the change to cap the distance was seen as both necessary and reasonable.

I think this is an arrogant statement. What gives Groundspeak the right to determine how we, the smartphone owners, intend to use them? I do not own a handheld GPS unit and don't have any intentions to buy one. Therefore, I use my smartphone in ways that match GPSr users. I don't always use it to find nearby caches, I use it to plan routes & outings. You give us the option to save caches to our favorites. That right there shows me that even your (Groundspeak) intention is to give us the ability to use our smartphones for more than just finding nearby caches. It is up to us how we intend to your our phones to cache, not you. But if your going to limit our capabilities, then yeah, I suppose you do get to determine how they're used. I think the 50km/31 mi. radius is still too small. I live in a very rural area so it's easier for a cacher to find every cache in a 31 mile radius. Then I guess our only option is to A} drive further from home and search nearby or B} as you suggest, go to the map view and perform a new search in a different area. Thanks for adding the extra step (which is more of a work-around than a solution).

I restored an older version of the app until this gets resolved.

Is there a link to an older version of the app so I can once again download saved gpx files...sigh...??

Well, fortunately, I had an older version in iTunes on my PC, and I had not synced the iPod with iTunes in quite some time. So I deleted the latest update from my iPod and then synced the older version to the iPod from the PC. This will only work if you have an older version on your computer. And I lost all my saved data, like waypoints on multi caches that are "in progress" but I back up all my waypoints, so it wasn't too bad restoring the data.

Is there a thread for how to (or how we can not) download saved GPX files? Seems counter productive to have a feature who's intended purpose is to allow you to upload GPX files for use on your smart phone, then not provide a way to download those files to your phone. That is a really bad feture to loose.

Same to me: iPhone 3GS

Same here on my iPod 4.2.1. Some of my favorites open, but my main one crashes. Could it be due to the number of favorites in each? The ones I can open have <100, while my main has <500 saved. (I wasn't well organized for a long time) :)

Same to me: iPhone 3GS

Same here on my iPod 4.2.1. Some of my favorites open, but my main one crashes. Could it be due to the number of favorites in each? The ones I can open have <100, while my main has <500 saved. (I wasn't well organized for a long time) :)

on my iPhone 3GS I decided to try a clean install, which meant that i had to delete the app from the phone, including the stored favs. I then re-installed it from the appstore cloud on the phone (not through iTunes) and "voila" everything works fine now. I can download PQs again, I can access favs etc.

Try this, but make sure to write down any important info that you may have stored in your favs first.

good luck

Matthias