Largest microSD card for an Oregon 450?

Hi all,

What's the largest microSD card that an Oregon 450 can handle? Any brand recommendations? I know their quality varies quite a bit. A recommendation for a USB microSD reader would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

CLF.

I was very dissapointed when I found out that I could not access the information from the SD card on my 450, on the 550T I am able to save pictures to it though. my recommendation is not to waste your money on a card for the 450 as you cant access the data.

Hi all,

What's the largest microSD card that an Oregon 450 can handle? Any brand recommendations? I know their quality varies quite a bit. A recommendation for a USB microSD reader would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

CLF.

I was very dissapointed when I found out that I could not access the information from the SD card on my 450, on the 550T I am able to save pictures to it though. my recommendation is not to waste your money on a card for the 450 as you cant access the data.

What are you talking about? Maps, Birdseye, GPX, is what I load from my uSD card. Not a problem at all.

Hi all,

Thanks!

CLF.

Hi, and thanks for the help!

But, erm, when I plug my 450 into my PC with a USB cord, I can see both the unit and the SD card on it without any problems. I just figured with an SD card reader I could save a step and just save large maps on the cards and swap the cards in and out of my unit.

CLF.

I have and use a 16GB microSD card with my Oregon 450. I use if for both Maps and BirdsEye images. I had used an 8GB card but ended up filling it up;(

Wow, didn't know a 16G would work, nice! Thanks.

Any tips on brand names that have worked for you? Again, I know not all micro SD cards are created equally.

I only use Kingston brand. Never had a problem with them.

I have and use a 16GB microSD card with my Oregon 450. I use if for both Maps and BirdsEye images. I had used an 8GB card but ended up filling it up;(

Any tips on brand names that have worked for you? Again, I know not all micro SD cards are created equally.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Glad to hear that. Kingston cards are usually both cheap and reliable.

As do I. I have CN North America, 24K West, 24K Southwest and 24K North Central on one card. I change the active map for topo on the geocaching profile when I hit that area. The CN is only activated for the Auto profile.

? I store all kinds of stuff on my uSD on my Oregon. Heck, you can use it like a thumb drive if you want. I even store unused maps on mine - guarantees I always have them with me when I arrive somewhere. It speeds up power-on if they're not all loaded at the same time.

To the OP: the largest I've heard used so far is 16GB, but there's no special reason why a 32GB won't work -- although how you would ever use that much ... wow! Be sure you are buying Class 6 cards. There are a TON of cheap Class 2 cards out there for photos and audio for cell phones that will slow down your unit's performance. Class 4 is almost fast enough. Class 6 seems to be the upper end of what gets you any improvement.