Car size TB's

33Forward

I have one of the large "car sized" magnetic trackables on my car. I am not exactly sure how to set this item up.

I want it to be able to travel, so I can log it as "visiting" a cache. It should be interesting to see how many miles we end up going, even though its as the crow will fly, not actual road miles.

And, of course, I want people to be able to log it if they see it.

I'm not new to picking up and dropping off TB's, but this is a different idea. I don't plan on "dropping it off" anywhere, but I would like to have it visit a cache.

Do I make it collectible or not? Do I have to keep it in my collection or in my inventory to do what I want with it?

Thanks!

PS. On a side note, I may end up getting a smaller reflective one. I have a large sedan, and the only place this monster fits is flat on the trunk lid. No one is really gonna notice that outside of an event maybe. I have seen the window clings, but my windows are tinted except for the rear window. (Not sure it would show through the defroster grid, the antenna, the OnStar wiring, 3rd brake light, etc.) Any ideas on a better solution to make my car a TB, as I had originally intended? I like the magnetic idea, its too bad they aren't made in a smaller size than "extra huge!" Maybe a black vinyl sticker? (My car is bright silver) Something like that would show up better.

Leave the collectable check box blank.

Keep it in your collection.

You could always go with the decal.

http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items-2/3-clear-travel-bug-decal.html

I saw the decal, but it only comes in white. Since my car is bright silver (almost the same color as the magnetic) it wouldn't stand out at all.

I thought if you put it in your collection, than you can't "visit" a cache with it? I have a Geocoin in my collection, and it doesn't show up in log options to have it "visit" a cache. Originally I left the box blank, but then it didn't give me the option to visit a cache with it. So, you can see how I'm confused here.

Put the decal on the window. It will show up great against tinted windows.

If its in your inventory it can't go anywhere or do anything. I use a geocoin as a mileage tracker. Its "Make this Trackable collectible" check box is left un checked. It is sitting in my collection. When logging a visit to a cache it is listed at the bottom of the Log your visit page with a drop down menu where i can choose to drop it in the cache or have it visit the cache. When it is discovered by others and they add a log entry there only options are to write a note or discover it.

You have to have it marked it as collectible and in your Trackables Collection to make it so people cannot Grab it away from you, only Discover or Note. However you have to have it in your Trackables Inventory to be able log it through caches.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Hi all,

I am new to Geocaching and to these forums but today I have just activated a TB Decal on my car, and I have been trying to figure out if I leave it in inventory or mark it a collectable and move it into my collection, and in reading this thread I'm even more confused. Maybe someone that has a TB on their car could reply with how they handle their's so we can log the mileage the TB has travelled.

Thanks

Edited by RedIsleDuo

Put the decal on the window. It will show up great against tinted windows.

If its in your inventory it can't go anywhere or do anything. I use a geocoin as a mileage tracker. Its "Make this Trackable collectible" check box is left un checked. It is sitting in my collection. When logging a visit to a cache it is listed at the bottom of the Log your visit page with a drop down menu where i can choose to drop it in the cache or have it visit the cache. When it is discovered by others and they add a log entry there only options are to write a note or discover it.

you got it all backwards

I have been trying to figure out if I leave it in inventory or mark it a collectable

My car TB is "Not Collectable", and not in my collection. People have logged discovering it, and I've dipped (visited) it in some caches. So I think this setup works OK.

Thanks for the reply, but T4E's post below yours just confused me again, I guess I'll just experiment until I figure out which way works.

And I will leave some feedback on this topic in the other forum as well, as this has been the most confusing thing by far to setup properly.

Thanks everyone.

We have a TB decal on our car-topper. This summer, we traveled 8000 miles and only one person discovered the TB. That was at Groundspeak HQ, and only because I said "Hey, there is an undiscovered TB on our cachemobile." I'm considering painting the Geocaching logo on the other sides of the car-topper, with the tracking code below the paintings.

this has been the most confusing thing by far to setup properly.

The main thing about the settings is, you'll want the selection available to "visit" a cache once in a while, and other cachers would have selections to "discover" your TB, maybe without the selection to "grab" it from you. So mine's not exactly right yet, either. :rolleyes:

Once you think it's set up, you can look at the selections in the drop-down box on cache pages, and on your TB's page, and see if it looks good.

Edited by kunarion

My Jeep has been trackable for over a year now. I have it marked not collectible and in my inventory (that is what is below the log a cache page - someone called that the collection earlier and is what caused much confusion) just like any other travel bug. This lets me dip the Jeep in my caches so I can track my adventures. It also means that if someone logs it, he could grab it from me, but most people know better and it's never happened. If it did, I would grab it back and explain the situation. Not a worry. These are also the same settings I use for my girlfriend's travel bug tattoo, and only one person joked about being able to grab her (and then choosing not to) when he logged her.

In a year there have only been a few random discoveries - most happen at events. But I had a trucker discover it once on the Interstate who mentioned what exit I took, and another time it was discovered in a McDonald's drive-through by the car behind me. I have, however, had several meetings with out of state cachers who saw my decal (on, not in, my tinted rear window) and introduced themselves while I was parked near a cache.

It's fun - make everything trackable.... :)