International Geocaching Day

I have been told that tomorrow (Saturday 20th August) is International Geocaching Day and that anyone who logs a cache or event tomorrow will receive a special badge on their profile :unsure: but I cannot find information about this

If anyone could let me have any info that I could post onto my event page for tomorrow I would be grateful

Mandy :D

The weekly Groundspeak email contained the following, but that's all I know.

This Saturday, August 20th is the first International Geocaching Day! You can celebrate with fellow geocachers at an event near you or simply mark the day by finding a geocache. Anyone who finds a cache or logs an "attended" for an event will receive the International Geocaching Day souvenir. If you are in the Seattle area, we hope you will be celebrating International Geocaching Day with us at the annual Geocaching Block Party.

This Saturday, August 20th is the first International Geocaching Day! You can celebrate with fellow geocachers at an event near you or simply mark the day by finding a geocache. Anyone who finds a cache or logs an "attended" for an event will receive the International Geocaching Day souvenir. If you are in the Seattle area, we hope you will be celebrating International Geocaching Day with us at the annual Geocaching Block Party.

I just knew it would be on the Groundspeak email whe I deleted it just before I posted here :ph34r:

Ta muchly for the info, I will copy and paste that onto my evnt page

M [:)]

I just knew it would be on the Groundspeak email whe I deleted it just before I posted here :ph34r:

Ta muchly for the info, I will copy and paste that onto my evnt page

M [:)]

They could make it a proper "International" day by giving a souvenir to everybody that armchair logs a challenge in another country :);)

This Saturday, August 20th is the first International Geocaching Day! You can celebrate with fellow geocachers at an event near you or simply mark the day by finding a geocache. Anyone who finds a cache or logs an "attended" for an event will receive the International Geocaching Day souvenir.

Excellent! As it's being promoted as a worldwide all encompassing "special" day presumably ALL international caches are included. Those would surely include all the various national Opencaching sites, Terracaches, Navicaches, personal caching listing sites, places such as www.geocaching-france.com, http://www.geocaching.de/, http://geocaching.com.au/ etc.

Well I've found 3 caches today and no souvenir. Can someone advise what I'm doing wrong.

Kind Regards

Chris. :)

Hello, welcome :)

I'm sure you haven't done anything wrong. Souvenirs are sometimes a bit sluggish in appearing on profiles... It may be that they won't turn on the special "Award A Souvenir Switch" until later in the day. If we don't see them appear by Monday then we'll start a petition. ;)

MrsB

Well this is quality still no souvenir. I've even tried deleting a post and reposting and still no joy :mad:

Think someone at Groundspeak is going to have to advise on this.

Has anyone actually got a souvenir for this yet?

Kind Regards

Chris

Be patient - I've read elsewhere that another special souvenir took about a week to appear (and I'm sure that TPTB have more pressing challenges issues to deal with at present.).

Well this is quality still no souvenir. I've even tried deleting a post and reposting and still no joy :mad:

Kind Regards

Chris

Be patient - I've read elsewhere that another special souvenir took about a week to appear (and I'm sure that TPTB have more pressing challenges issues to deal with at present.).

It's Saturday lunchtime for them - They'll all be busy with the Groundspeak Block Party preparations... sauté frogs legs, hamster stew anyone? :huh:

I'm not expecting the souvenir to arrive before Monday at the earliest. :)

MrsB

It's Saturday lunchtime for them - They'll all be busy with the Groundspeak Block Party preparations... sauté frogs legs, hamster stew anyone? :huh:

The way the site is 'running' at the moment I reckon that they have stewed ALL the hamsters :laughing:

Edit: it's speeded up now - was it something I said?

Edited by MBFace

We would be happy to see the souveir for finding caches today on our profile because we did found caches today.

But,we've just looked at the souvenir section of our profile and we are puzzled to see the 10/10/10 souvenir has appeared on it.

We did not find a cache on 10/10/10 so we have no idea why it is there.

We would be happy to see the souveir for finding caches today on our profile because we did found caches today.

But,we've just looked at the souvenir section of our profile and we are puzzled to see the 10/10/10 souvenir has appeared on it.

We did not find a cache on 10/10/10 so we have no idea why it is there.

The souvenir was for the 10 years of Geocaching events held on 01 May 2010.

have to correct you on this as this the blurb that you get when you click on the Souvenir itself

10/10/10 is the date of Groundspeak’s global geocaching challenge. The date is significant because it represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010.

I stand corrected - got confused with the special icon for the 10 years caches :(. It's easy enough to get a souvenir removed, just contact support. We did that with one we got from logging the travelling German geocache/van.

Kind Regards

Chris

I'm not expecting the souvenir to arrive before Monday at the earliest. :)

MrsB

I have been told that tomorrow (Saturday 20th August) is International Geocaching Day and that anyone who logs a cache or event tomorrow will receive a special badge on their profile :unsure: but I cannot find information about this

If anyone could let me have any info that I could post onto my event page for tomorrow I would be grateful

Mandy :D

Typical, I found caches on Friday and I found caches on Sunday, but not Saturday! :(.

PS. My Sunday caches were ones you put out in Herrington Park, good to see some new ones there as we'd already done all the existing ones :D

Mine in there too! Better late than never particularly as I made a trip out specially.

It's not late.

This type of souvenir is applied by TPTB running a script which applies souvenirs to qualifying cachers. The delay was just waiting for everyone to log their finds...

Mark

I've got the right hump about this. I don't have a pretty souveneir in my profile yet but I didn't know about the special day. Dammit. Tried caching on the 20th too, but the new site upgrades have been causing me all sorts of problems. Ah well. Someone hurry up and sort out a UK Geocaching Day please.

I quite like all the collectable souveneirs, GC icons etc. No need to bin them! If it's not your bag then don't bother. Crikey - geocaching is a pointless waste of time (most of the time), but it's still thoroughly good fun...

Absolutely. I don't understand why anyone should get hot under the collar about icon / souvenir collecting.

It's so easy to just ignore if you're not into that game, and clearly a number of people do like these things.