How do I log a Challenge?

I realise there are other topics on the new challenges but I haven't been able to find the answer to this most basic of questions.

Once I have Accepeted a challenge how do I "log" it?

I've looked at the FAQ's and all the documentation I can find but I'm still in the dark. It's obviously something so simple I'm missing it but I just can't find a link to a page where I can mark a challenge as completed. Please help!!!!

Duhh! Just found it. Sorry. Wow what a fantastic experience :anitongue: I got to pick up some bits of rubbish near my house and put them in the dustbin. I never had that amount of fun finding Geocaches.

There wasn't any rubbish outside my front door... so I threw the contents of the waste paper bin into the street... and picked them up again. Few strange looks from the neighbours, but I've done my bit to save the local area from being covered in little bits of screwed up paper.

There wasn't any rubbish outside my front door... so I threw the contents of the waste paper bin into the street... and picked them up again. Few strange looks from the neighbours, but I've done my bit to save the local area from being covered in little bits of screwed up paper.

Then you failed the challenge. It clearly states "Go to a local park and pick up 10 pieces of litter."

Then you failed the challenge. It clearly states "Go to a local park and pick up 10 pieces of litter."

And I'm in a house in a national park? Does that not mean the street, or indeed anything past the front door, is in the park? Obviously so is the house... But I was trying to stay outdoors... Oh, and it's not my house!

And I'm in a house in a national park? Does that not mean the street, or indeed anything past the front door, is in the park? Obviously so is the house... But I was trying to stay outdoors... Oh, and it's not my house!

I don't care. It's YOUR "challenge point". It means nothing to me. If you decided to spin on your chair ten times before clicking "challenge completed" then that's your prerogative.

I don't care. It's YOUR "challenge point". It means nothing to me. If you decided to spin on your chair ten times before clicking "challenge completed" then that's your prerogative.

Yes... It's my challenge point, which is a house in a park... You said I'd failed?!

Yes... It's my challenge point, which is a house in a park... You said I'd failed?!

You did. You didn't GO and "pick up litter" anywhere. You "created litter then picked it up without actually going anywhere". You failed the challenge set, which was set in good faith to promote the idea of CITO, to try and better the world around us while having a bit of fun!

But... it's your challenge point! Well done! *applause*

As with Geocaching, everyone is going to play the game their way. Me? I'm choosing to report the challenges which need reporting, thumbing those ones up which are good (and maybe *gasp* DOING some of them) and thumbing those ones down which follow the guidelines but are a bit crappy.

You?

Shhh! You'll give Groundspeak ideas for their next Worldwide challenge! :anibad::laughing:

Pffffffft... :laughing:

Edited by dogbomb

I'm basically laughing at the challenges... As are most people... And grateful that it only half breaks the stats to do so.

Most people? I beg to differ. Most people aren't even aware of geocaching challenges.

Why not offer some constructive feedback instead? Thumb up challenges you like, thumb down those you don't. Flag those which are blatantly "location-less" (but not Worldwide challenges).

You don't like the idea of challenges? Fair enough, don't touch them, you don't HAVE to. Also, there's a feedback topic or two you can input on.

I'm basically laughing at the challenges... As are most people... And grateful that it only half breaks the stats to do so.

Most people? I beg to differ. Most people aren't even aware of geocaching challenges.

Why not offer some constructive feedback instead? Thumb up challenges you like, thumb down those you don't. Flag those which are blatantly "location-less" (but not Worldwide challenges).

You don't like the idea of challenges? Fair enough, don't touch them, you don't HAVE to. Also, there's a feedback topic or two you can input on.

Done thumbs up and down, not flagged any. Some are locationless but then not locationless... If that makes sense. "Most people" for the non-pedantic out there would mean most people commenting... It's fairly obvious that most challenge setters think the whole thing is a joke.

Feedback... Yeah, left that... Groundspeak didn't like it... It got deleted. So that's a pointless route to try!

Right now... Hate them... But treating them like a gold mine... Lots of smelly dirty stuff to search through!

Done thumbs up and down, not flagged any. Some are locationless but then not locationless... If that makes sense. "Most people" for the non-pedantic out there would mean most people commenting... It's fairly obvious that most challenge setters think the whole thing is a joke.

Even those commenting don't represent most people though. Pedantic or not. Even if you limit it to "people aware of geocache challenges", I'd say most people are either indifferent to the change, or are feeding back in the hope it gets better. I'm in the latter of those. There's a VERY vocal minority who are treating it like a joke - and that's probably the worst course of action to take.

Feedback... Yeah, left that... Groundspeak didn't like it... It got deleted. So that's a pointless route to try!

Not pointless. I left feedback (3 points, even) on that one topic which got deleted by Jeremy. If you'd been back into the feedback forum, you'd see there's a lot of back and forth discussion now. That's also the right place to get vocal, because there's more chance of being seen than leaving a comment in an unrelated forum, or via a challenge log.

Right now... Hate them... But treating them like a gold mine... Lots of smelly dirty stuff to search through!

I've been through the "hate them, get rid of them phase" and now I've seen some local ones pop up I'm in the "Actually, treated right, these could be a fun addition". I realise they're not for everyone and I hope people get the choices and options they desire, but I'm going to keep feeding back my thoughts in the hope it improves positively.

When a feedback topic gets to number 8 in the list of ALL feedback topics, in about an hour and a half from the time it was started, it indicates there is strong feeling from a considerable proportion of the membership. It was then deleted while the rate of rise was getting faster and faster. It would seem fairly likely that in less than a day it would have become the top ranked feedback topic ever.

I'd say most people are either indifferent to the change, or are feeding back in the hope it gets better.
The evidence suggests otherwise.

This feedback topic called for challenges to be operated on a separate site. This would be an equitable solution as it allows those who are interested in them to do them, without them interfering with the operation of the geocaching site. They aren't geocaches, indeed, all the ones I've seen, including the one Groundspeak have offered as an ideal example of a challenge, i.e. kiss a frog, are NOTHING LIKE geocaches.

Rgds, Andy

What you are using as evidence is feedback in the forums and in the feedback topics. This is such a small slice of the geocaching community at large.

As I said before, it's a vocal minority. Most just aren't aware.

Of course not, they are only mentioned on the gc.com homepage, plastered all over your account and the lead item in this week's newsletter :rolleyes:.

Not everyone logs into geocaching.com every single hour/day like you and I! :unsure:

Edited by dogbomb

Our newsletter arrives by email and, judging by posts elsewhere, probably later than a lot of other people get their copy .....

Mine too. You realise only a percentage of geocachers opted in to get that newsletter, right?

Also, of that percentage, not everyone suddenly leapt onto geocaching.com to complain - what you are hearing is a vocal minority. It's possible there's more people think this way, I concur - but you can't speak for the majority just because the majority ain't speaking.

Even those commenting don't represent most people though. Pedantic or not. Even if you limit it to "people aware of geocache challenges", I'd say most people are either indifferent to the change, or are feeding back in the hope it gets better. I'm in the latter of those. There's a VERY vocal minority who are treating it like a joke - and that's probably the worst course of action to take.

Not pointless. I left feedback (3 points, even) on that one topic which got deleted by Jeremy. If you'd been back into the feedback forum, you'd see there's a lot of back and forth discussion now. That's also the right place to get vocal, because there's more chance of being seen than leaving a comment in an unrelated forum, or via a challenge log.

I've been through the "hate them, get rid of them phase" and now I've seen some local ones pop up I'm in the "Actually, treated right, these could be a fun addition". I realise they're not for everyone and I hope people get the choices and options they desire, but I'm going to keep feeding back my thoughts in the hope it improves positively.

Ok... Whatever... We agree in lots of ways. But...

Challenges are NOT geocaching. I like reading fanfiction (actually I dont but bear with me) so I produce a story and other geocachers who like fan fiction read it... Should they get a find?

I love the music if Cradle of Filth... Their website does not contain any Lady Gaga songs.

If I want to take my little girl to learn to swim, lenfairclough.co.uk wouldn't be my choice of website (one for those of a certain age)

Im not against challenges... Quite the opposite... They could be a lot of fun, a global game of dare... No problem... I'll play. IT IS NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT GEOCACHING THOUGH.

Natty.

PS. This morning I found my socks and put them on... Is that one find or two?

What you are using as evidence is feedback in the forums and in the feedback topics. This is such a small slice of the geocaching community at large.

Of course, that IS the only evidence we have. We have to assume the ones who don't comment don't care or are split in the same ratio as those who do comment - what you can't do is assume that everyone who doesn't comment is in favour of challenges being hosted on this site.

The comments I've seen have been overwhelmingly in favour of them being hosted on another site. The rate of the feedback prior to it being censored was one of the most astonishing things I've ever seen on here.

Note that as far as I know, nobody at all is suggesting you should not be allowed to play this game, simply that as something so very different to geocaching it should be hosted separately.

Rgds, Andy

Of course, that IS the only evidence we have. We have to assume the ones who don't comment don't care or are split in the same ratio as those who do comment - what you can't do is assume that everyone who doesn't comment is in favour of challenges being hosted on this site.

The comments I've seen have been overwhelmingly in favour of them being hosted on another site. The rate of the feedback prior to it being censored was one of the most astonishing things I've ever seen on here.

Note that as far as I know, nobody at all is suggesting you should not be allowed to play this game, simply that as something so very different to geocaching it should be hosted separately.

Rgds, Andy

With you Andy...

If you have a GPSr there's one site with 2 opposite games... With no overlap really.

If you use smartphone, they're 2 different apps, 2 different games... The way it should be, people may play both... No problem.

The main issue here is not whether some people are stupid enough to want to post pictures of themselves picking their nose; human behaviour is inherently mysterious. The fact remains: it has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

Worse still, Groundspeak's determination to silence the outcry that Challenges immediately caused by deleting Feedback threads and Forum posts is an absolute disgrace. They want to take our money, but not listen to our voice? They'll get not a penny more from me.