Chrome OS Maps

jri

I've already figured out a way of making OS maps work with the basic Leaflet API. Unfortunately it may take me a few weeks to figure out how to integrate this with the new Geocaching Maps website. I'll see what I can do...

You little beauty!

I've only been a premium member for less than a year, and in that time have only ever seen really good improvements in their updates... until now

Your OS script which I only started using a few weeks ago was amazing. No, really, that's not an over statement.

I wouldn't be without it now and (although I understand the commercial reasons why Groundspeak got rid of google maps) the removal of the OS map is the single biggest step backwards that I have seen the site take since I joined. Personally, I will be OVER THE MOON, if and when you are able to come up with something that brings the OS map back to my geocaching. I wouldn't want you to take this as feeling under pressure, but you will have a happy geocacher here when the OS map can come back!

I've already figured out a way of making OS maps work with the basic Leaflet API. Unfortunately it may take me a few weeks to figure out how to integrate this with the new Geocaching Maps website. I'll see what I can do...

I know I won't be the only one to be grateful as hell if you can do it. I feel lost without your OS maps.

As Mellers has said, there's no pressure but if you could manage to go without food or sleep for a while it would help :rolleyes:

OK, I've made some progress. I've bodged the Geocaching Map Enhancements script to work with the new maps. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try it here: gme.user.js

What works for me:

• OS maps on Maps page (via Leaflet API)
  • OS maps on cache pages (via Google API)
  • Grid ref search on Hide'n'Seek page

What won't work (yet):

• Session refresh
  • Map-to-list link
  • Grid ref search on Maps page

I won't update the version on Userscripts.org until I've had a chance to test it properly and see whether the missing features can be put back. In the meantime, feedback would be welcome on whether or not it works on different browsers, especially if you get any error messages.

OK, I've made some progress. I've bodged the Geocaching Map Enhancements script to work with the new maps. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try it here: gme.user.js

What works for me:

Sir you are a marvel!

All of the above work for me on Firefox 10.0.1 and Greasemonkey 0.9.17

Thanks very much but you didn't really have to stay up all night you know :lol:

Sir you are a marvel!

All of the above work for me on Firefox 10.0.1 and Greasemonkey 0.9.17

Thanks very much but you didn't really have to stay up all night you know

+1

I now have OS maps, Google maps and satellite showing thanks to "Map Enhancement" and "Map Widget", I think that's better than before. And all within about 24 hours of GS borking the system!

What works for me:

What won't work (yet):

• Session refresh
  • Map-to-list link

I won't update the version on Userscripts.org until I've had a chance to test it properly and see whether the missing features can be put back. In the meantime, feedback would be welcome on whether or not it works on different browsers, especially if you get any error messages.

Many thanks , you've made a lot of cachers happy bunnies

Ace !

What works for me:

What won't work (yet):

• Session refresh
  • Map-to-list link

Om, that's brilliant. :D And super speedy too. We're all really impressed down here, I can tell you.

Just to confirm that the three items you mentioned which work for you, also work for me too in both Chrome and Firefox.

Woohoo! :D :D :D

What works for me:

What won't work (yet):

• Session refresh
  • Map-to-list link

I've updated the script at the link above, and now all of those features should be working. Still a little bit more to do before it goes onto Userscripts.org...

Any chance of someone posting instructions for installing these scripts on IE8? That would be most useful for those who don't normally use Firefox.

I don't think Greasemonkey will run on IE.

However you might get a result by trying 'Trixie' or 'IE7Pro'.

See Link

Edited to say No Personal Experience - all usual caveats apply!

Edited by The Patrician

As someone who doesn't understand anything of what is happening here, when the userscripts.org is updated will that make the add on I have in Chrome work again, or will I need to download another one to replace the existing?

You will need to download it again and replace the existing script.

Thank you.

As someone who doesn't understand anything of what is happening here, when the userscripts.org is updated will that make the add on I have in Chrome work again, or will I need to download another one to replace the existing?

But the download only takes seconds and it automatically overwrites the old version so don't be put off.

Any chance of someone posting instructions for installing these scripts on IE8? That would be most useful for those who don't normally use Firefox.

See Link

Thanks for the pointer. I tried Trixie, as IE7Pro seems to relate to an ancient version of IE (I'm using 9). It installed fine and could be enabled but seems to do nothing. On the Geocaching script page http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145 there seems to be a couple of big "Download" buttons which are frauds, but I used the "Install" and it caused an error. I was hoping that Trixie would pick the script up somehow.

I know I could use Firefox but I only use that occasionally and I want to see if I can use an IE equivalent.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

But the download only takes seconds and it automatically overwrites the old version so don't be put off.

Just done it and OS maps are back and working great on the latest version of Chrome (17.0.963.56)

BIG Thanks to jri, you're a star.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I've finished fixing the Geocaching Map Enhancements script, and updated its homepage on Userscripts.org: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145

Visit that page to see the full feature list and download the latest version. I've added in a scale indicator since the last update, to make it easier to tell how large an area of map you're viewing. I've also added installation instructions for geocachers who aren't too familiar with userscripts.

Finally, that page has a link to a version of the GME script for Firefox Mobile. This is a bit experimental, but it mostly works for me with Firefox Mobile (Fennec) v10 on Android 2.2 and 3.2. I still need to tweak it to work well on devices with small screens (all the icons disappear...) and there are problems at the GC.com end that stop the cache information popping up. That said, it looks good on an Android tablet, the OS maps work, and you can use the script's list view function to get the cache details. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the pointer. I tried Trixie, as IE7Pro seems to relate to an ancient version of IE (I'm using 9). It installed fine and could be enabled but seems to do nothing. On the Geocaching script page http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145 there seems to be a couple of big "Download" buttons which are frauds, but I used the "Install" and it caused an error. I was hoping that Trixie would pick the script up somehow.

I know I could use Firefox but I only use that occasionally and I want to see if I can use an IE equivalent.

I had a go at installing Trixie and trying it with the scripts. If you install with:

"To install a new script, download the script into the Scripts directory under the Trixie installation folder. By default, this is at Program Files\Bhelpuri\Trixie\Scripts. Then, go to the Tools menu and select "Trixie Options" (Alt-T, X). This will show the Trixie Options dialog where you can click on the "Reload Scripts" button and select Ok. This will load your new script and enable it. Note that unlike Greasemonkey where the metadata section is optional, Trixie requires a metadata section in the script."

The script appears to install ok. What it doesn't appear to do, on my system at least, is work. Still, worth a try.

I have been looking for something like this for ages. Be a great way to help Scouts in this.

As a subscriber of getamap from OS I can't wait to go and try this out. Presently on iPad so not got any maps working well but when my kids finish their homework the pc is mine.

If this works you are a star and deserve massive qudos.

I had a go at installing Trixie and trying it with the scripts. If you install with:

"To install a new script, download the script into the Scripts directory under the Trixie installation folder. By default, this is at Program Files\Bhelpuri\Trixie\Scripts. Then, go to the Tools menu and select "Trixie Options" (Alt-T, X). This will show the Trixie Options dialog where you can click on the "Reload Scripts" button and select Ok. This will load your new script and enable it. Note that unlike Greasemonkey where the metadata section is optional, Trixie requires a metadata section in the script."

The script appears to install ok. What it doesn't appear to do, on my system at least, is work. Still, worth a try.

Thanks. I tried the same thing and the script didn't work for me either, although the page load did seem to be slowed a lot so perhaps it was trying to do something.

See Link

I'm afraid I don't normally use Internet Explorer unless I can help it (like at work, where we have IE6!), but I installed Trixie on IE8 and had a go. The script didn't work for me either, and after a bit of poking around I couldn't see any obvious reason why, or any easy way of debugging it. If someone who's more familiar with Trixie can get it working then please let me know how. I'm happy to tweak the script if there are just some odd changes needed to make it work, but otherwise I'll continue to focus on Firefox and Chrome - I don't plan to put in lots of effort to support IE.

PS watch out for the banner adverts on userscripts.org that look like download buttons. The real Install button is on the top-right of the page!

Time to move onto another browser, HH?

I do use Firefox and Chrome a bit but tend to use IE9 mostly, as I find it slightly nicer than the others. My question was really whether the script could also be made to work for IE8 or 9 so that users aren't restricted to the other browsers.

Whether you choose one or the other isn't really the issue, and I don't ultimately mind too much if it can only work on Firefox and Chrome as it's very much a "nice to have". But as the script already exists it's a shame if it won't run on all three of the most popular browsers.

I resisted the move from IE until recently as I didn't want to learn a new UI. However I now use both Chrome and IE but Chrome is the main browser now and does seem a lot quicker than IE. Plus the benefit of OS maps on GS makes it much better as well.

It doesn't take that long to get to know, and you can import all your favorites/bookmarks etc as well.

Happy Mikey :)

Edited by mike142sl

This is presumably because Google are going to start charging high-volume websites for using their API.

So when we use this script is the "hit" coming from our individual machines when we use Google Maps and not coming from the geocaching.com servers? I'm not sure if that is the right way to phrase it but I want to be assured that this is not causing Groundspeak any grief which might affect everyone negatively.