Chrome OS Maps

jri

There's now a way for people who use the Chrome browser to see Ordnance Survey maps of Great Britain on Geocaching.com

I've written a Greasemonkey script that adds an OS map type option on the Geocaching Maps Beta page. It also works on geocache pages when you use dynamic maps. The script displays OS Landranger (1:50000) and Explorer (1:25000) imagery from Bing.

I've written the script to work with both Chrome and Firefox.

For Chrome, you don't need to install Greasemonkey - just install the script from userscripts.org (link below). Chrome and Chromium have been able to run userscripts directly since v4, but I've only tested with v13. For Firefox, you need to install the Greasemonkey extension ("How do I use this?" link on userscripts.org). I've tested with FF5 and 6 on Windows and FF3.6 on Linux. Firefox 5 broke Greasemonkey, but this has been fixed in Greasemonkey v0.9.8.

To find out more or install the script, visit the Geocaching Map Enhancements page on userscripts.org

Thank you very much. This is great, can now see easily where the local trails are and which caches are near them, and where there are long gaps along the trails. There are so many footpaths to explore, and so little time! :D

A word of caution though, comparing these with Magic maps, I can see the minor tracks/footpaths do not quite match up with the Magic maps ones (not the national trails, the smaller farm tracks and such) and the restricted areas such as SSSI, rural parks and so on are not on the OS map. It will be a lot easier to quickly see where existing caches are on magic maps without having to input each set of coords, thanks! :-)

This is great, it even prints with the cache locations. No more trips to the library to get maps ( I'm a bit old school and have to have a map with me)

:unsure:

How do you print from the Beta Map? :unsure:

Pressing Ctrl-P normally works.

In Firefox, you might have to check the Page Setup menu first, to make sure that your browser is set to print background images.

This is great, it even prints with the cache locations. No more trips to the library to get maps ( I'm a bit old school and have to have a map with me)

:unsure:

How do you print from the Beta Map? :unsure:

Pressing Ctrl-P normally works.

In Firefox, you might have to check the Page Setup menu first, to make sure that your browser is set to print background images.

Thanks! :D

This is a great addition, thank you. How do I get Explorer maps up though as it appears to be landranger only. I use Firefox.

Thanks

It looks like Bing (where the script gets the maps from) has changed to only supply Landranger imagery. I'll have a look to see whether there are some tweaks I can do to get the Explorer maps back.

This is a great addition, thank you. How do I get Explorer maps up though as it appears to be landranger only. I use Firefox.

Thanks

It looks like Bing (where the script gets the maps from) has changed to only supply Landranger imagery. I'll have a look to see whether there are some tweaks I can do to get the Explorer maps back.

Ah. I noticed the other day that I could't zoom down to Explorer level; I assumed it was some temporary glitch. Would be great if you can get them back; I've become quite attached to this feature.

Thanks

Ah. I noticed the other day that I could't zoom down to Explorer level; I assumed it was some temporary glitch. Would be great if you can get them back; I've become quite attached to this feature.

I've had a poke about, and unfortunately this looks non-trivial to fix. The problem is that most of the map sources I've found align OS map tiles to Grid North, while Google Map tiles align to True North. This doesn't normally matter too much if you're only interested in one point, but the further you go from that point, the greater the divergence. This means that if you want to do a simple overlay of Geocache locations (google-style map tiles) onto OS map tiles, they'll be OK at the centre of the screen, but increasingly mis-aligned towards the edges.

I do have a cunning plan, but it might take a while to put into practice.

My heart sunk when I realised that the Bing maps were now 50k! I really thought it was due to the OS withdrawing the rights to display them (or something like that). I hope it's just due to a technical fault at the Bing maps end.

jri: Thank you for your script! :)

News from Bing on the MSDN forums...

A data update we received was missing the higher detail data. It will be re-published as soon as a new copy is received and processed.

Well, I don't know how long we will have to wait, but it looks hopeful that it will get fixed without me having to do any alterations to the script :)

A data update we received was missing the higher detail data. It will be re-published as soon as a new copy is received and processed.

Well, I don't know how long we will have to wait, but it looks hopeful that it will get fixed without me having to do any alterations to the script :)

Further updates from MSDN...

This will likely be corrected in the next imagery update. Our team is well aware of this issue and are monitoring it.

Imagery updates occur in Bing Maps ever 3-4 months. The last one was around the end of September/ begining of October.

So it looks like the larger-scale maps could be back sometime in January / February...

It looks like the 1:25K maps are back! They are for me tonight via Firefox at maximum zoom. Wonderful!!

- John.

It looks like the 1:25K maps are back! They are for me tonight via Firefox at maximum zoom. Wonderful!!

- John.

Yay!

With today's site update, the OS map option from Chrome is gone. :(

Not quite! OS Maps still seem to work on the cache pages - but sadly not on Beta Maps.

Partly, it must be said, because "Beta Maps" has become just plain "Maps", and partly because we're into the brave new world of using the Leaflet API rather than Google Maps. This is presumably because Google are going to start charging high-volume websites for using their API.

and will a new script be written soon to over come our loss

I've already figured out a way of making OS maps work with the basic Leaflet API. Unfortunately it may take me a few weeks to figure out how to integrate this with the new Geocaching Maps website. I'll see what I can do...