Challenge's do not need reviewed? Oh really?

GeoBlank

I created a challenge earlier today that was location based. I got feedback through my account and comments from the community that I should update the text to make it broader accepted. I updated the text thinking it would be a good world wide candidate. It now has disappeared.

If challenge caches do not need a review process then why do they get deleted without any sort of feedback or dialog.

I would say someone is playing God... but that would have meant that the feature was based on intelligent design (sorry I had to say that).

Personally, I believe that ALL these challenges are DUMB!

Ok, let's do a tribute to 911. Then all these foreign geocachers come and mark it completed!

The original Idea was good but the resulting outcomes are so severely OFFENSIVE that I just

wish that they would all just disappear!

No rules doesn't work!

PLEASE delete any named cacher with only challenges and BAN THEIR IP address!

Give me a break!

I created a challenge earlier today that was location based. I got feedback through my account and comments from the community that I should update the text to make it broader accepted. I updated the text thinking it would be a good world wide candidate. It now has disappeared.

If challenge caches do not need a review process then why do they get deleted without any sort of feedback or dialog.

I would say someone is playing God... but that would have meant that the feature was based on intelligent design (sorry I had to say that).

Probably when you made it world wide, you violated:

Worldwide Challenges are Challenges that have no fixed location, and involve a task to complete at a location of your choice. These closely resemble the former locationless caches or Waymarking categories. At first only Groundspeak issues Worldwide Challenges, but we will be asking the community for ideas through User Voice and adding the Worldwide Challenges with the most votes to the system. We'll try to have a new Worldwide Challenge each day.

But archived? Maybe retracted back with feedback. It went into the black hole.... which I do not appreciate :)

That would require a human reviewer, would it not? I'm not sure if that is what they have in place currently, or if it is an automated system, but I can assure you that if it is a human, they don't plan to always have a human at that helm.

From the FAQ:

Are Challenges reviewed by anyone before publication?

No. Challenges are published to the website immediately. The community can "flag" inappropriate or unplayable Challenges. These are automatically removed from the website if flagged by enough geocachers. Players can rate each Challenge with a thumbs up or thumbs down to help others decide whether it is worth doing.

How do I report a Challenge that is inappropriate?

On each Challenge page there is a link to flag the Challenge as spam, unplayable or for offensive or prohibited content. If a Challenge is flagged enough times it becomes permanently unavailable.

From the FAQ:

No. Challenges are published to the website immediately. The community can "flag" inappropriate or unplayable Challenges. These are automatically removed from the website if flagged by enough geocachers. Players can rate each Challenge with a thumbs up or thumbs down to help others decide whether it is worth doing.

On each Challenge page there is a link to flag the Challenge as spam, unplayable or for offensive or prohibited content. If a Challenge is flagged enough times it becomes permanently unavailable.

Thanks for the link! I swear, I went looking for info about challenges, and completely missed that! :rolleyes: Well that clears up, sort of, my questions about the flag, and the thumbs up/thumbs down thing.

But Kissing a Frog has somehow been expempted from the process.... I think someone should check Signal's code...

Considering it has twice as many dislikes as likes, I think they are archived based on flags. I think this particular one should be flagged as prohibited since the FAQ and the description when you go to create a challenge both say "Challenge people to take a picture doing something specific at a location". There is no particular location chosen for the kiss a frog challenge.

From the FAQ:

So...there is no definition of what constitutes "enough times". It doesn't sound like it takes very many flags. I don't know...that seems ripe for Challenges getting archived just because a couple of cachers don't like each other.

Perhaps rolling out the auto-archive feature could've been done down the line instead of right away. I can see alot of people flagging any Challenge, no matter how awesome it might be, just because they think the premise is silly. Give it a few weeks to let the idea sink in a bit....having Challenges get archived on the day they are submitted is pretty stupid. There can't be that many people that hate them that quickly. If I had a notion to submit a Challenge, I'd seriously rethink it right about now.

But Kissing a Frog has somehow been expempted from the process.... I think someone should check Signal's code...

Considering it has twice as many dislikes as likes, I think they are archived based on flags. I think this particular one should be flagged as prohibited since the FAQ and the description when you go to create a challenge both say "Challenge people to take a picture doing something specific at a location". There is no particular location chosen for the kiss a frog challenge.

The Kiss a Frog challenge is a worldwide challenge submitted by Groundspeak, so it is exempt from the location requirement.

The Kiss a Frog challenge is a worldwide challenge submitted by Groundspeak, so it is exempt from the location requirement.

It's not location based. Therefore, is not a replacement for virtuals. In fact, it makes a mockery of virtuals. It is more like a locationless cache in the same vein as "Take a photo beside a yellow jeep".

It's not location based. Therefore, is not a replacement for virtuals. In fact, it makes a mockery of virtuals. It is more like a locationless cache in the same vein as "Take a photo beside a yellow jeep".

Obviously a worldwide challenge is analogous to LC caches. I don't see how that makes them a mockery of other challenge caches (or virtual caches) any more than an easy micro cache makes a mockery of a really hard, larger cache. They are two different things that have no actual effect on one another.

I have noticed a lot of "thumbs down" votes for challenges that seem quite OK. It would appear that some are not prepared to give the thing a chance. Maybe mine will be the Worldwide Challenge a few years down the road.....

maybe its possible a few folks are thumbs downing every challenge they see...the best ones will get enough ups to stay though I imagine.

From the FAQ:

So...there is no definition of what constitutes "enough times". It doesn't sound like it takes very many flags. I don't know...that seems ripe for Challenges getting archived just because a couple of cachers don't like each other.

Or more likely, a bunch of cachers that don't like the concept of challenges and/or how GS has implemented them and are systematically posting thumbs down and/or "flag this challenge" on everything.

Perhaps rolling out the auto-archive feature could've been done down the line instead of right away. I can see alot of people flagging any Challenge, no matter how awesome it might be, just because they think the premise is silly. Give it a few weeks to let the idea sink in a bit....having Challenges get archived on the day they are submitted is pretty stupid. There can't be that many people that hate them that quickly. If I had a notion to submit a Challenge, I'd seriously rethink it right about now.

As frustrated as I (and many others) are with the implementation of Challenges I'm appalled at the behavior of many of those with whom I share the title of "geocacher".

Or more likely, a bunch of cachers that don't like the concept of challenges and/or how GS has implemented them and are systematically posting thumbs down and/or "flag this challenge" on everything.

Awesome. First they tried to turn geocaching into Facebook. Now they've turned it into Craigslist.

There are two kinds of challenge caches that are handled in the system.

Worldwide Challenges (ie Locationless Caches) can only be created by Groundspeak.

The challenges that a player creates should be location based, ie, they are more like Virtual Caches.

If you create a cache that is not location based, it should and will get archived.

I wonder if Jeremy will skip his own block party tomorrow, for fear of a mass riot?

I myself checked out and completed a few challenges, and played around with a few others. I have decided they are not my thing, so I doubt I will be doing any more of them. Like said previously, I want my cache finds to be an accurate accounting of MY geocaching game, and how I play it.

To each their own, and my own does NOT include this new challenge farce..