Good Challenge/Bad Challenge game

Fianccetto

See if your idea for a Challenge will get a red flag, and post examples of what you think might be good (or bad) examples of a Challenge. Save some time and avoid getting your one chance a day getting archived.

I'm thinking of creating a Challenge to go and play tennis and/or football at a specific local park (coordinates will be provided.) I'm not sure whether to make this a photo Challenge or an action one. (If it is an action one, how do people provide evidence they have completed the action at the location?)

I'm thinking of creating a Challenge to go and play tennis and/or football at a specific local park (coordinates will be provided.) I'm not sure whether to make this a photo Challenge or an action one. (If it is an action one, how do people provide evidence they have completed the action at the location?)

That's what gets me shouldn't a photo of the action be required. Of course why does it matter it's not like you can control fake logs.

I would say that's an okay challenge. It is location specific. It does not enhance geocaching to me so I would pass.

Guess I must agree with IkeHurley.......this is not Geocaching and no "completed" challenge smilies should be added. Even the one I published in Augusta, Ga. could be accepted and completed without leaving your house as long as someone just happened to take a pic while they were there. I think I'll publish one more tomorrow involving the webcam located GZ. After that, like Ike said.....think I'll pass!......Hoots!

If I decide to submit a challenge it will probably be a graveyard challenge. Since we cannot have real caches in graveyards in SC I am guessing a Challenge is acceptable. I don't plan on making any until there's a little more control.

I like the idea of the graveyard challenge, although I think you should still need to get permission from the landowner or whoever is responsible for access to the area. :unsure:

I am also thinking of a challenge based around a number of mosaics in the centre of our town. I would want to get permission from the artist to feature their work first, even though it is public art. The challenge would be to make a small paper collage mosaic of your own and photograph it beside one of the town centre ones. Something like that, it needs some more work. (I think the bits of paper will blow all over the place and just add to the litter, so that puts me off a bit.)

I just posted one that is to take a screenshot of yourself holding a sign with your user name while you are in the local weather cam view. You will have to have a friend take a screen capture of you while you're there because it is in real-time. Good?

No because I don't think the main purpose of these were to be worldwide. If you limited it to the local weathercam then yes that is a great use of the new challenge

I KINDA like the idea of Challenges, but given the quality of the ones I've seen so far I'm not sure this is going to end well.

Anyway, I went ahead and created one - hopefully people will think of it as 'good' and an example of what a challenge SHOULD be ?

http://www.geocachin...w.aspx?cx=CX54A

Thoughts ?

I like it. And I have been bashing these Challenges all night. See, you did it right.

1. Got people out of the house
  2. Have to go to specific coordinates
  3. Have to do/see something specific
  4. Have to prove it with a photo

Problem is, since there are no rules or reviewers for Challenges, how will GS ensure this happens? What you have created is a VIRTUAL CACHE for the most part. This sounds like a difficult or at least a time consuming but worthwhile effort. Wish I could visit!

Fiancetto:

I think that's a great idea! I don't know how many people would want to make the effort though. If you have little kids, It might be a lot of fun to glue a paper collage together in advance. Brainstorming an idea that really wouldn't work - but maybe a box there with paper supplies and glue, creating a collage, then taking a photo with the mosaic would be neat. Of course, that's impractical in so many ways, just throwing it out there.

What about a challenge to take a picture of yourself feeding the fish in a certain botanical garden? (Keep in mind they encourage fish feeding).

Fiancetto:

I think that's a great idea! I don't know how many people would want to make the effort though. If you have little kids, It might be a lot of fun to glue a paper collage together in advance. Brainstorming an idea that really wouldn't work - but maybe a box there with paper supplies and glue, creating a collage, then taking a photo with the mosaic would be neat. Of course, that's impractical in so many ways, just throwing it out there.

What about a challenge to take a picture of yourself feeding the fish in a certain botanical garden? (Keep in mind they encourage fish feeding).

For the mosaics I was thinking people could just use one of the freebie flyers that get given out there for the paper supply, and no glue. But you're right, there wouldn't be enough people interested in it to make it worthwhile. It would make a great one-off children's activity, but not something open ended that people turn up to do.

As long as you put in the coordinates of where to stand to feed the fish, that seems to be all that is needed.

I accepted a challenge to go to a local country park and collect photos of the trail numbers - a strip of 5 numbers (with an object of your own). It looked like a good challenge, but it got archived and I'm not sure why.