Challange cheating?

I have noticed that people have been loggıng challanges for places they have been already. For example one you need to be at the hollywood walk of fame and the user logged that challange and a cache ın arizona the same day. İ thınk they had been to the walk of fame previously so they just logged the challange. What do you thınk? ok or not? ı thınk no but wanted to know what the communıty thınks.

I have noticed that people have been loggıng challanges for places they have been already. For example one you need to be at the hollywood walk of fame and the user logged that challange and a cache ın arizona the same day. İ thınk they had been to the walk of fame previously so they just logged the challange. What do you thınk? ok or not? ı thınk no but wanted to know what the communıty thınks.

Who cares? Challenges are a joke so joke logging seems perfectly acceptable. I made one to go to a dock and enjoy the view. Someone asked how will I verify some one actually went there and enjoyed the view. Hey, if they said they did why should I care?

Who cares? Challenges are a joke so joke logging seems perfectly acceptable. I made one to go to a dock and enjoy the view. Someone asked how will I verify some one actually went there and enjoyed the view. Hey, if they said they did why should I care?

We was at that dock, wasn't much of a view, so we Logged a DNF......

Edited by Nature Kids

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Should have filed a NM to get the view fixed ...

It appears to me that anyone can sit at their computer, accept a challenge that only requires a picture no matter when taken and run up the numbers quickly! Lots of flaws in this new game. Amazing it's even considered Geocaching to me!...........Hoots!

Yup, you could sit around with a bunch of vacation photos, and run up your numbers with a bunch of been there in the past logs. Yet "they" went bonkers over Greetings from Germany armchair logging of virtuals. I'm confused.

Then again, I'm off work today. And I've been to a lot of places in my 48 years. :lol:

I'm not sure why everyone gets upset because other people aren't playing the geocaching game by their rules. One of the best things about geocaching is that it is whatever you make of it. You think Challenges are stupid.....don't complete them. You think using old vacation pictures to complete challenges is acceptable.....dig out the old photo albums and go to town. You don't think certain challenges should be acceptable.....flag them so they get archived. If you want to sit in front of the computer marking a bunch of challenges you never did complete....enjoy.

If you spend all your time worrying about how everyone else is geocaching they you take all the fun out of the activity. Get outside and enjoy geocaching your way.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was at the dock too. View sucked but I dropped a film canister for good measure. :rolleyes:

It appears to me that anyone can sit at their computer, accept a challenge that only requires a picture no matter when taken and run up the numbers quickly! Lots of flaws in this new game. Amazing it's even considered Geocaching to me!...........Hoots!

Yup, you could sit around with a bunch of vacation photos, and run up your numbers with a bunch of been there in the past logs. Yet "they" went bonkers over Greetings from Germany armchair logging of virtuals. I'm confused.

Then again, I'm off work today. And I've been to a lot of places in my 48 years. :lol:

And what, exactly is the problem with this?

If the challenge is "hike the Pacific Rim West Coast Trail", and you did that last year, have you not met the challenge?

And what, exactly is the problem with this?

If the challenge is "hike the Pacific Rim West Coast Trail", and you did that last year, have you not met the challenge?

I'll just go with what EdScott said in the post above yours. :D

OK, I thought of something, so I'm editing. What if you weren't a Geocacher then? You and myself have been around for a while, but what if we weren't? What about before Geocaching existed? I visited Big Bend National Park in SW Texas in 1989, and have about 500 pictures. Can I accept challenges there? (Didn't look to see if there are any there yet, but you get the point).

Edited by Mr.Yuck
What do you thınk?

I don't care.

Not something that I would do (though I've come across several challenges that I've retroactively completed) but don't really care if someone else does it. However, if I create a challenge and state how I intended for it to be completed I might post a comment if I felt that someone didn't complete it as intended and then let it drop.

I don't see what the issue is with completing a Challenge that you found in the past? The Challenges don't list any time frames.

If I went to Paris last year and took a photo with the Eiffel Tower and tomorrow someone posts a Challenge to take a photo with the Eiffel Tower do you feel I really need to travel to Paris a second time just so I can take another photo of me in a place I've already been?

There definitely are alot of issues including bogus completions, but I don't think backlogging Challenges is an issue.

It's not like a physical cache were you can't find it before it existed because it wasn't there.

OK, I thought of something, so I'm editing. What if you weren't a Geocacher then? You and myself have been around for a while, but what if we weren't? What about before Geocaching existed? I visited Big Bend National Park in SW Texas in 1989, and have about 500 pictures. Can I accept challenges there? (Didn't look to see if there are any there yet, but you get the point).

Well, if the challenge was "Visit Big Bend National Park" then yes, you did that, didn't you.

If the challenge was "Pretend to hold the Big Bend National Park Sign in your hand", well it's far less likely you have a photo of that.

It all comes down to your definition of the Challenge. If it's a simple go there and I've been there, well ... challenge met. Let that be something to remember when creating Challenges - be creative, or accept that people may have already done that sort of thing.

Frankly, I think "challenge" is a misnomer, I fail to see a challenge in any of it.

Geocaching is a challenge and can be challenging and the results are validated, Challenges, as put forth, for the most part, are not challenging nor validated.

The challenge aspect of Geocaching has potential and may work, but it's going to have to undergo a lot of tweaking, until then, I will pass.

I totally used this photo from 2009 to log the famous landmark challenge. I just happened to decide to take a photo like that that day too. Never thought I'd use it for anything...

i5XRn.jpg

Photograph yourself at X location holding a sign with the current date. Problem solved.

I wonder how popular Photoshop will be for that. I guess the photos will have to be taken with a camera that generates a digital signature (the Canon 1DS is the only one I know that does) and all challenge owners will need software to verify it.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

I haven't done any challenge caches yet, but I have logged caches a thousand miles apart on the same day. I have friends that have too. Simple fact is, we are husban/wife teams caching under one name. I am TURTLE&HAWG. So is my husband. I was caching in Virginia while he was caching here in Arkansas. Friend was caching in home state of Illinois while her husband was caching at a job site in Utah. No cheating involved. I am not saying there aren't plenty of cheaters out there, but give folks a break and don't assume someone is cheating. Just play your own game and enjoy it.

If your challange can be cheated it's not tough enough. :D

Just as with the toughest caches, the toughest challenges can be cheated. I have a challenge that requires either hiking several miles uphill or climbing a 300 ft. rocky, overgrown 45 degree slope. If I could rate the terrain it would be about 3 stars. Yet if someone posts an obviously bogus log or one that is not within the stated requirements of the challenge, I can't delete it.

I haven't done any challenge caches yet, but I have logged caches a thousand miles apart on the same day. I have friends that have too. Simple fact is, we are husban/wife teams caching under one name. I am TURTLE&HAWG. So is my husband. I was caching in Virginia while he was caching here in Arkansas. Friend was caching in home state of Illinois while her husband was caching at a job site in Utah. No cheating involved. I am not saying there aren't plenty of cheaters out there, but give folks a break and don't assume someone is cheating. Just play your own game and enjoy it.

Splitting the 'team' is cheating.

If your challange can be cheated it's not tough enough. :D

Just as with the toughest caches, the toughest challenges can be cheated. I have a challenge that requires either hiking several miles uphill or climbing a 300 ft. rocky, overgrown 45 degree slope. If I could rate the terrain it would be about 3 stars. Yet if someone posts an obviously bogus log or one that is not within the stated requirements of the challenge, I can't delete it.

True, but lets just hope that some changes are made to adjust these challanges in the future. Keeping them PMO here at the beginning was a great idea too wasn't it? Sure kept all the riff-raff basic members from wrecking havoc did'nt? :lol::laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In your opinion.

Here's a different opinion

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

In your opinion.

Here's a different opinion

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Yup. In my opinion as well...

I climbed the Eiffel Tower by stairs 15-20 years ago. There is a challenge to climb the Eiffel Tower by stairs. I did not log that one, but how would it be cheating to log it as a find? I can only log going forward. I did not log it as I did not like to take pictures back then, otherwise I would have.

Its not like the challenge says has to be going forward.

From Wikipedia:

Cheating refers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English.

Now, while some geocachers may act competitive it is not in itself a competitive sport. Our find counts do not represent a score. It is merely a reference number so we can keep track of our own activities.

This may be one reason the Challenges do not have owners - to eliminate the possibility that a CO sees a need to enforce their own definition of "cheating" vs a cacher who feels they completed the challenge.

The #1 complaint about ALRs in the past was overzealous cache owners who would quibble about the way the hoops were jumped through.

Our find counts do not represent a score. It is merely a reference number so we can keep track of our own activities. This may be one reason the Challenges do not have owners - to eliminate the possibility that a CO sees a need to enforce their own definition of "cheating" vs a cacher who feels they completed the challenge.

Doesn't this same logic apply to caches as well? Why give cache owners the ability to delete logs? Why do the guidelines instruct cache owners to delete bogus and counterfeit logs?

As the owner of your geocache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

Our find counts do not represent a score. It is merely a reference number so we can keep track of our own activities. This may be one reason the Challenges do not have owners - to eliminate the possibility that a CO sees a need to enforce their own definition of "cheating" vs a cacher who feels they completed the challenge.

Doesn't this same logic apply to caches as well? Why give cache owners the ability to delete logs? Why do the guidelines instruct cache owners to delete bogus and counterfeit logs?

As the owner of your geocache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

There is a physical log book you can "verify". Also those guidelines were written 10 years ago, and not etched in stone ... with "Challenges" they do have the option of changing things to avoid the player vs owner vs reviewer ALR wars of yesteryear.

It DOES apply to geocaches as well. Your find count is not a score. I know charter members with less than 1000 finds, who have plenty of experience and respect from the community. I also know people who use power trails to burn through 1000 caches a week. Who's the better geocacher?

As for the guidelines quote, you are not the owner of the challenge so you do not have to control logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, blah blah blah. You pulled the guidelines from a different game essentially.

I see it as whatever you want it to be - there are so many different ways to approach geocaching as it is, that this jut adds an extra challenge for those that want to take part.

Is it fair that one person spends a day or more hiking out to gab one cache, while someone else drives along a power trail and collects 100 caches in the same time? If you approach it as purely a numbers game then it is completely unrewarding to put in such time and effort for one cache when you could have completed many more in half the effort. People still head out for those tough caches though because they feel it more rewarding to get that one extra mark on the found list.

Challenges are no different - Some people are looking through holiday photos, marking off a huge list of challenges and sitting back happy in the high count they have, others will appreciate the fun in heading out specifically to complete a challenge and gain enjoyment from actually putting in the effort to do it.

Caching is what you want it to be, and many people approach it in completely different manners. You just have to ignore those that play by different rules and have fun doing it yourself.

One other thought is that if people disagree with retroactive completion of challenges, then make them harder or more specific to do... 'Take a photo of yourself at x location' is a pretty generic thing that most tourists do anyway, 'take a photo of you holding up your gps', 'take a photo of you standing on one leg' or any of the thousands of other little rules you can add will quickly weed out those intentionally completing a challenge, and those getting them by chance.

As for the guidelines quote, you are not the owner of the challenge so you do not have to control logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, blah blah blah. You pulled the guidelines from a different game essentially.

It's a different game, but your logic still applies. Cache finds aren't scores either; they're just counts. So "cheating" doesn't enter the picture. If there's no cheating, how can there be "bogus" logs?

On most of my challenges I specifically stated they needed to be completed after the creation date, on one because it is a once in a lifetime visit place for many, I made it allowable for prior visits to log as long as they had a correct photo. I thought seeing the pictures of past visits would be cool. When someone creates a challenge and there is not a date specified as to when it should be completed and you DID complete the challenge then log it, no big deal - how is that laughable my Rochester friend? The task required WAS completed. :P

On most of my challenges I specifically stated they needed to be completed after the creation date, on one because it is a once in a lifetime visit place for many, I made it allowable for prior visits to log as long as they had a correct photo. I thought seeing the pictures of past visits would be cool. When someone creates a challenge and there is not a date specified as to when it should be completed and you DID complete the challenge then log it, no big deal - how is that laughable my Rochester friend? The task required WAS completed. :P

As I said, you are being challenged to do something, not asked if you have. But I am not going to fret over it. People are welcome to use any busted moral compass they posses. :anitongue::laughing:

Not that this would be considered cheating, but it might as well be.. I did a cache above 12,000 feet.. so I could do the following.. 1) Find the actual physical cache 2) do an action challenge of finding a cache above 12,000 feet 3) complete the photo challenge of me being at my favorite trail 4) Do a photo challenge of taking yourself a picture at Henderson Mine.

WOW! 4 Smileys for 1 spot. Crazy.

This could literally be repeated for every physical cache.. So if you really wanted to "cheat" you could do 2-3 challenge for every spot where there was a physical cache since there are ABSOLUTELY no integration with challenges and real, actual geocaches (like they did with virtual caches).

Hope Groundspeak gets their act together on this quickly.

It's a different game, but your logic still applies. Cache finds aren't scores either; they're just counts. So "cheating" doesn't enter the picture. If there's no cheating, how can there be "bogus" logs?

Bogus logs can refer to a false log. This isn't as much a scoring problem as the fact that the logs reflect on the availability of the cache. If someone posts a bogus "found" log on a cache that's had 6 months of DNFs the CO may feel no need to replace the container. As for the scoring part - there are lots of ways people fudge their "scores". Power trails where people leap frog the cars, group caching where the person claims a find even though they never saw the cache. People logging that they were "in the area" as a find.

And yes I stand by the stance that you are not "cheating", as there is no competition to cheat. If you post a bogus "found it" log you cheat yourself of the cache opportunity.

When we start getting prizes from Groundspeak for having the most cache finds in an area, I'll change my stance.

Bogus logs can refer to a false log. This isn't as much a scoring problem as the fact that the logs reflect on the availability of the cache. If someone posts a bogus "found" log on a cache that's had 6 months of DNFs the CO may feel no need to replace the container. As for the scoring part - there are lots of ways people fudge their "scores". Power trails where people leap frog the cars, group caching where the person claims a find even though they never saw the cache. People logging that they were "in the area" as a find.

I see an essential difference: For caches one can display the list of caches corresponding to the claimed finds, for challenges that is not possible.

Another difference is that caches get reviewed and if it turns out after 1 day that they have been published by mistake, they can get retracted and this also deletes the logs.

Challenges that get archived, still count and no one of us can later see which challenges someone has completed.

For a traditional cache most logs will be legitimate logs. For worldwide challenges not issued by Groundspeak, the issue is not one or a few bogus logs, but that all logs are not legitimate.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I see an essential difference: For caches one can display the list of caches corresponding to the claimed finds, for challenges that is not possible.

Another difference is that caches get reviewed and if it turns out after 1 day that they have been published by mistake, they can get retracted and this also deletes the logs.

Challenges that get archived, still count and no one of us can later see which challenges someone has completed.

For a traditional cache most logs will be legitimate logs. For worldwide challenges not issued by Groundspeak, the issue is not one or a few bogus logs, but that all logs are not legitimate.

Cezanne

Yeah, I'm not sure why that is. I can't even "watch" a Challenge, or see the logs as they are posted on the Challenges I have created.

It's a bit off topic, but I'd love to see those logs as they get posted, more because when I post a Challenge, it's the sort of thing I want to see the stories people are sharing.

As for legitimate logs on Challenges, that only matters if you're keeping score. Otherwise, why would you care that someone's numbers went up by 1,000 finds/challenges.

As for legitimate logs on Challenges, that only matters if you're keeping score. Otherwise, why would you care that someone's numbers went up by 1,000 finds/challenges.

I do not care about that - that can happen also by doing a power trail. In the case of the powertrail however I can have a look at the profile of the cacher and can see where his 1000 recent finds come from. For example, when a visitor of one of my caches comments that the difficulty rating is too low, fails on find something or reports an issue, I have a closer look on his experience. If someone whom I have learnt to know as trustworthy asks for an exception for being allowed to log a found it despite of not having signed the log book (e.g. forgotten pen), I let it go. If someone has mainly logged armchair caches, I would ask for a proof of the visit.

Moreover, I feel that it is bad for the reputation of the whole game that finds on challenges that are against the very few existing rules do count.

Cezanne

I do not care about that - that can happen also by doing a power trail. In the case of the powertrail however I can have a look at the profile of the cacher and can see where his 1000 recent finds come from. For example, when a visitor of one of my caches comments that the difficulty rating is too low, fails on find something or reports an issue, I have a closer look on his experience. If someone whom I have learnt to know as trustworthy asks for an exception for being allowed to log a found it despite of not having signed the log book (e.g. forgotten pen), I let it go. If someone has mainly logged armchair caches, I would ask for a proof of the visit.

Moreover, I feel that it is bad for the reputation of the whole game that finds on challenges that are against the very few existing rules do count.

Cezanne

You can still click through to the profile and see that the cacher has 1 cache find and 999 challenges, even if you do not know the details of each challenge. You can also see when they joined the site.