Pup Patrol

Oh my goodness. Printing out cache pages with a lot of logs is going to definitely be different now.

I just checked on one of our caches. When I click "print 5 logs" the avatars don't show up, without needing to click "hide this image". Whew.

Why were avatars added to the cache pages? Is there a great hue and cry over this? Was it a request in the Feedback forum?

Ugh. I really don't like the junky, cluttered look of the cache pages now.

The formatting is HORRIBLE! Also the date has disappeared. UGH!!!!

OHMIGAWD, I didn't even notice the date go missing!

Geezlouise, why, why, why has this been done to the cache pages???

The dates still appear when you click "print" though. How screwy is that?

How can we get them to fix this mistake?

Edited by Pup Patrol

The dates are sort of there, but they aren't exactly the dates. Like instead of saying "August 18" on the ones we found today, it says "Today", and then it goes on to ones like "about 19 days ago" and then as generic as "about a year ago."

I probably agree that it isn't my favorite feature, but I guess I can live with it. Although it doesn't help that about half the people don't have avatars, so it just shows that creepy generic face. *shudders*

Edited by phillies26

At least on my screen, it seems that they've replaced the actual date with a Facebook-like or Twitter-like estimate of about how long ago it was. So I'm not seeing "6/15/2011" but rather "about two months ago".

That might work for Facebook and Twitter and Foursquare and Gowalla and whatever else is floating out there, but for geocaching logs I'm not really on board.

The dates are sort of there, but they aren't exactly the dates. Like instead of saying "August 18" on the ones we found today, it says "Today", and then it goes on to ones like "about 19 days ago" and then as generic as "about a year ago."

I probably agree that it isn't my favorite feature, but I guess I can live with it.

It's ridiculous. "About xx days ago"....how stupid and wishy-washy.

At least on my screen, it seems that they've replaced the actual date with a Facebook-like or Twitter-like estimate of about how long ago it was. So I'm not seeing "6/15/2011" but rather "about two months ago".

That might work for Facebook and Twitter and Foursquare and Gowalla and whatever else is floating out there, but for geocaching logs I'm not really on board.

Other than the date issue, I like the changes to the logs, and OpinionNate has already agreed to revert them back to the old date style.

I probably agree that it isn't my favorite feature, but I guess I can live with it.

It's ridiculous. "About xx days ago"....how stupid and wishy-washy.

Yeah, I don't really like having to whip out a calculator to see when 19 days ago was. :P But in all honesty, it is pretty annoying. I agree that the cache pages were just fine the way they were; short, sweet, to the point, and easy to read. Now the pages are huge, and the avatars can be really distracting.

Where did they say they were changing back? And when? It's AWFUL! So distracting, and how will I ever print my cache pages?

I tried it out and reported back in post #3:

Oh my goodness. Printing out cache pages with a lot of logs is going to definitely be different now.

I just checked on one of our caches. When I click "print 5 logs" the avatars don't show up, without needing to click "hide this image". Whew.

Why were avatars added to the cache pages? Is there a great hue and cry over this? Was it a request in the Feedback forum?

Ugh. I really don't like the junky, cluttered look of the cache pages now.

I dislike every single change to cache pages. Yes I already voted on the active feedback thread. Ick. Seriously ick.

Agree.. I also tried to vote but it won't let me log in.. maybe they are stemming the flow of feedback until they can fix it? What a mess they made this time.. and still no printable maps on the page. All bells and whistles, but nothing worthwhile. These guys need to get out caching once in a while and see what it is like outside their cubicles.

Uh oh--sure, you hit "print" and they show up without, but only for 10 logs! How will I ever be able to print all the logs for my cache? The avatars in the cache pages HAVE to go! Why in the world would they add those, anyway? It's hard to find the actual log, the print's too small compare to the pics. Maybe if the avatars were thumbnails, but even that would just suck everything out of my print cartridges. Yuck.

I don't mind the avatars, but I really have to question why Groundspeak is spending time changing things that nobody had a problem with in the first place. The ability to update the coordinates of a puzzle that you have solved has been the top request on the feedback site for a long time, yet that is still "under review" and we get all these changes that nobody wanted in the first place. Sounds like a lot of wasted effort. If they put the feedback system in place to find out what we wanted, why aren't they acting on any of those things? Yes, they put in "challenges" in response to the "bring back virtuals" request, but somehow I don't think that's what the 3600 votes had in mind...

This is awful just as you said!!!

I don't want my forum avatar on cache logs. And xxx cacher(and me!!) found cache about 2 days ago?? WTF??

Looking at a cache with a background image causes the bad formatting. A cache with no background image shows better formatting like a forum post.

OHMIGAWD, I didn't even notice the date go missing!

Geezlouise, why, why, why has this been done to the cache pages???

The dates still appear when you click "print" though. How screwy is that?

How can we get them to fix this mistake?

Has it already been mentioned that OpinionNate has promised to put the exact date back? Meanwhile, the workaround (a very bad workaround) is to open the specific log.

If this has already been mentioned, sorry. Lots to read tonight.

Other than the date issue, I like the changes to the logs, and OpinionNate has already agreed to revert them back to the old date style.

Sad part is... the date simply had to be pulled from the database (well, with some adjustments for time zone and location conventions) but this actually required some programmer's time to write a function for.

I don't mind the avatars, but I really have to question why Groundspeak is spending time changing things that nobody had a problem with in the first place. The ability to update the coordinates of a puzzle that you have solved has been the top request on the feedback site for a long time, yet that is still "under review" and we get all these changes that nobody wanted in the first place. Sounds like a lot of wasted effort. If they put the feedback system in place to find out what we wanted, why aren't they acting on any of those things? Yes, they put in "challenges" in response to the "bring back virtuals" request, but somehow I don't think that's what the 3600 votes had in mind...

You're kinda new around here, aren'tcha, kid?

This has been going on for years and years.

Yep! A lame attempt to copy Facebook, Twitter, etc. How is this better than listing the date? Anyone???? Bueller?????

You're kinda new around here, aren'tcha, kid?

This has been going on for years and years.

Yup. My single largest complaint is that they seem to pull these ideas out of there back pockets and still requests go unanswered forever. Give the people what the flipp'n asked for!

Yep! A lame attempt to copy Facebook, Twitter, etc. How is this better than listing the date? Anyone???? Bueller?????

They keep trying to be all those other sites. I would not be surprised if they are trying to move away from a hidden container type of game. Is the traditional cache an endangered species?

I dislike every single change to cache pages. Yes I already voted on the active feedback thread. Ick. Seriously ick.

Agree.. I also tried to vote but it won't let me log in.. maybe they are stemming the flow of feedback until they can fix it? What a mess they made this time.. and still no printable maps on the page. All bells and whistles, but nothing worthwhile. These guys need to get out caching once in a while and see what it is like outside their cubicles.

Seriously! Check some of their #'s. If they don't participate, how do they know what's good, bad or needs fixin'?

Edited by jeeper32

They keep trying to be all those other sites. I would not be surprised if they are trying to move away from a hidden container type of game. Is the traditional cache an endangered species?
Due to a lack of caring on the feedback site, I propose we all send our complaints to complain2gof@gmail.com.

While I haven't heard back yet, my past complaints have gotten prompt responses!

+1

I kinda like the new look, it's a nice change apart from the date.