Challenge Rating system

blb9556

Paddle cacher, yeah I've noticed. I bet they change the ratings to be like geocaches so you have to find it first.

But that puts people in the awkward position of voting down a challenge that they decided to do, knowing full well that they don't like it.

Of course, they could just upload a picture of whatever, I suppose.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I listed a challenge, now all these people are giving it a thumbs down probably because they can't do it or something? It's a local challenge with a photo.

This is interesting. Maybe people are being harsh because they aren't happy with this new "Challenge" thing as a whole. Your location is interesting. Thanks to Google Streetview I saw the cool corn.

Looks like people don't understand that challenges are location specific. Maybe it wasn't made clear enough?

Anyway, I do agree that only those who completed or at least accepted the challenge should be allowed to vote.

I think you're right about people not understanding....I don't understand why people would 'Accept' a challenge rather then go visit the location and 'Complete' the challenge.

votes should be allowed only by those that completed the challenge

I'm not sure I agree with this idea right now. Currently there are tons of them that are NOT location based and I'm giving those a thumbs down.

... Why?

Because the idea (as I've understood so far) is go to a specific place (except for the worldwide ones that GS is making) and do a task (or take a picture), not Google an image.

I feel like Groundspeak created a bit of confusion by posting up worldwide challenges. The intention was to create location based challenges, but there are a multitude of people making similar ones. I have an action saved and a photo challenge loaded up, both of which are location based. I don't agree with the challenges like 'hug a dog' or 'climb a tree.' They're great things to do, yes, but some of that I can do without leaving the comfort of my home, and to me that's not what geocaching should be...armchair challenges.

I'm not sure I agree with this idea right now. Currently there are tons of them that are NOT location based and I'm giving those a thumbs down.

... Why?

Because the idea (as I've understood so far) is go to a specific place (except for the worldwide ones that GS is making) and do a task (or take a picture), not Google an image.

I guess I have an issue with the idea of running around to specifically vote down a bunch of challenges that are perceived to be locationless caches. Photo challenges are going to be abused no matter how you post it.

Some people will make the challenge fun, a whole bunch of people will see it as an easy way to get 1000 smileys from the sofa.

The challenges are flexible right now. It's new. There's still a bunch of debugging to do and being punitive to the early posters isn't going to be helpful to anyone.

Yep, I was wrong. They do count. A lot are armchair. Reviewers anyone?

This challenge system needs to disappear ASAP, sorry yours included.

No it doesn't. It's a fun thing. Just like Instagram is fun. It's a new game.

When they add it to Pocket Queries, just edit yours to not include "Challenges" and let the rest of us have fun.

THERE ARE NO PRIZES FOR FIND COUNTS

If it mean't all of them going, I wouldn't even care losing mine. Groundspeak really does not want us making worldwide it sounds. They have a feedback area to suggest worldwide challenges.

No it doesn't. It's a fun thing. Just like Instagram is fun. It's a new game.

When they add it to Pocket Queries, just edit yours to not include "Challenges" and let the rest of us have fun.

THERE ARE NO PRIZES FOR FIND COUNTS

+1

unless i fail to detect the sarcasm :lol:

No thanks. Reviewers have zero involvement with this new feature. It was designed that way and must stay that way.

If you mean "get a new group of volunteers to help Groundspeak with these", that's a different question

No thanks. Reviewers have zero involvement with this new feature. It was designed that way and must stay that way.

If you mean "get a new group of volunteers to help Groundspeak with these", that's a different question

Hey Keystone. Yes different reviewers. I could not possibly imagine you guys publishing all these.

What is it with people and trying to get cachers to pester cops? I've seen at least 4 of this sort of challenge.

Yeah this is just stupid. Some police already hate running into us, let along us asking them for a favor.

Edited by blb9556

I listed a challenge, now all these people are giving it a thumbs down probably because they can't do it or something? It's a local challenge with a photo.

I'd suggest that it is entirely possible that those thumbs down votes are simply the result of people poking around, not realizing that they are doing. I myself voted yours down, but then voted it up, which removed my down vote. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to totally remove my vote.

Has anybody tried the "Flag Challenge" link yet?

I'd suggest that it is entirely possible that those thumbs down votes are simply the result of people poking around, not realizing that they are doing. I myself voted yours down, but then voted it up, which removed my down vote. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to totally remove my vote.

Yes, I did, there were two challenges I thought inappropriate. So I flagged it. Soon afterward, it disappeared.

Yep, not sure exactly who/what it does.

Although the Offensive option should probably be changed to Not Appropriate

Is that an option that you get when you click on the "Flag" link? I'm hesitant to click the link, in case there is no way to un-do it, just like I discovered about voting on the challenge.

Is that an option that you get when you click on the "Flag" link? I'm hesitant to click the link, in case there is no way to un-do it, just like I discovered about voting on the challenge.

yep

It seems like a lot of those who are against challenges are seeking out every one that's published, and giving it a thumbs down - not because they don't like YOUR challenge, but because they don't like challenges in general. Very juvenile. I suspect that's what's happened here, too.

It's not juvenile to protect your hobby from commercial vandalism. It is juvenile to think that taking a picture of yourself picking your nose is a 'challenge' in any sense.

I do not agree. For example, I encountered an action challenge that asks for finding a specific geocache. In that manner, each geocache can be turned into a second found it log for one task. I am not willing to log a completed on such a challenge just to be able to éxpress my criticism.

I also admit that I do not like the idea of requiring someone to perform a handstand at some interesting location and would prefer a virtual stressing the location. That does not mean that I am against actions like performing handstands, it is just not the type of challenge I would like to see. So "thumbs down" would mean in that case "I do not like this challenge". I do not need to go to visit a castle to realize that I am unable to perform a handstand and even if I were, would not be able to make a photo of that, and even if I were, would not want to perform a handstand in public.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Here's the problem as I see it, and there isn't any possible solution. They would need to restrict votes from people who would never do the challenge. At risk of irritating the OP, I was one who voted down this challenge before I went there. I did so because I've been there many times, I drive by there all the time, and didn't find it interesting. Keep in mind, that's my opinion, and that's the beauty of/issue with (depending on your stance) any kind of rating system. I'm allowed to not agree with you. I can also see how this might be interesting to others...

To me it felt like there wasn't a lot of thought put into it. When it was first posted it really just talked about being the first challenge in Ohio, and the 7th overall. Instead of putting up a truly interesting challenge it was just a rush to be first and have bragging rights. I went there, took my picture, posted it, and still feel exactly the same about the challenge. Because I knew ahead of time what was there, I was 100% sure that I could thumb it down. I knew that just because I went there and took a pic of my ugly mug it wouldn't change it in any way.

With all that said, it DOES suck if someone in Spain, who will never ever in their life come to Ohio votes it either up OR down for grins. That's an abuse of the system, and skews the popularity.

Here's the problem as I see it, and there isn't any possible solution. They would need to restrict votes from people who would never do the challenge.

But that also means that e.g. when someone publishes a challenge near your home where you are asked to do something which you regard as absolutely idiotic and if you are not willing to do it nevertheless, you are not allowed to vote. It is absurd to have to finish something that you do not enjoy just to be able to give the feedback that you do not enjoy it. Why should I for example be forced to take a photo of myself in front of a church wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "I hate the Catholic church"

just to be able to vote that I do not like at all this type of challenge?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne