Challenges: Now that they are released

I apologize if this has been addressed and I just can't find the answer, but.....

If the challenges we submit must be location-specific, than I'd really like to see a "nearest challenges" option on the cache page next to "nearest geocaches" and "nearest waymarks" and "nearest benchmarks". Maybe it's a feature that just wouldn't get enough use to warrant adding it to the options, and I understand that. Just asking........

screenshot090111171108.png

screenshot090111171140.png

Has a "location" for a challenge been defined by GS?

When I start to create a challenge, the choose a location link proposes

Search For: (e.g. taco, cheap dinner, Max's)

which leads me to understand that these kinds of vaque locations are all right.

Yet some challenges have been archived ("legally") because an alley is not a specific location.

There are only a couple challenges in my area, and to be honest, they are completely stupid and a waste of my time. Go somewhere you drive by a hundred times, but stop and take a picture of you with a an object and then post the picture? Yawn! The fun of caching is "finding the cache" just like the pamphlet we all put in our caches say. It is especially fun to find a cache that is unique and well thought out. But going to visit something I see everday? No thanks!

There are only a couple challenges in my area, and to be honest, they are completely stupid and a waste of my time. Go somewhere you drive by a hundred times, but stop and take a picture of you with a an object and then post the picture? Yawn! The fun of caching is "finding the cache" just like the pamphlet we all put in our caches say. It is especially fun to find a cache that is unique and well thought out. But going to visit something I see everday? No thanks!

That's a pretty self-centered view! YOU may know about that place, drive by it every day, nothing new here, but the OTHERS who don't know about that place might enjoy the Challenge. Of course you play the game for your enjoyment, each of us does, but when thinking about the game overall remember that it's not about you, it's about all players.

And as has been pointed out a few hundred times now, Challenges are not caches and completing Challenges is not geocaching. It's a totally different act, and thinking about Challenges means setting aside everything you know about geocaching.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It's funny what people find fun. Some people think that geocaching is stupid and a waste of time. For challenges, as long as it doesn't interfere with me and is not being pushed in my face or forced down my throat, I'll leave it alone. I don't see the need to make derisive comments about it.

Edited by Chrysalides

Challenges may not be everyone's cup-of-tea, but then, nothing is..my only objection to them is that you can vote thumbs up or thumbs down; what's the point, besides hurting people's feelings?

+1 Thumbs downs are not necessary and are annoying. We don't have un-favorite points, do we?

Of course lots of people were actually asking for that feature... :P

The only one in your area that I thought was really dumb (and got a rare thumbs-down by yours truely) was the one that wanted you to take your picture in the Walmart parking lot (or was it Target... whatever).

The virtuals that I have enjoyed the most were those that I went to when I was out of my own territory, and they showed me places or things that I would probably not have seen had I not been doing virtuals. My preference in challenges parallels those experiences, so the big tire, Joe's fist, and things like that are just fine by me.

Challenges may not be everyone's cup-of-tea, but then, nothing is..my only objection to them is that you can vote thumbs up or thumbs down; what's the point, besides hurting people's feelings?

Groundspeak WANTS us to use that feature to allow the cream to float to the top. That is the point, not to hurt feelings.

Groundspeak WANTS us to use that feature to allow the cream to float to the top. That is the point, not to hurt feelings.

I'm thinking they could have accomplished that with just a "Thumbs Up" button. Locally, I've seen that the Favorites points system has accomplished this quite nicely. Whenever the topic comes up to bring up a rating system for caches, Groundspeak's copy/paste answer was to the effect of, "We don't want negativity in the game". The "Thumbs Down" feature seems to run contrary to this principle.

Though it does make me wonder if the whole "Thumbs Up/Down" thing isn't some sort of beta test for a ratings system, or, at the least, something they can point to whenever a ratings system is suggested, demonstrating how such a system might break down.