Geocaching.com site update August 18th 2011

now the site is completely down.

GS do something. We pay a lot of money !

Less than a dime a day is what we each pay. Doesn't sound like a "lot of money" to me. Even when all of those dimes are accumulated, I doubt anyone at GS is going to make the Forbes List.

Yes, the outages and the slow loading times are annoying. Maybe Irene has something to do with today's slow response times, maybe not.

What do you pay to have a repair call on your washer or dryer? How about those responses from your cable provider?

GS should be doing a better job, but $30 doesn't seem to be the reason they need to do better. Anyone running a web site with this much traffic should want the world to see that they are capable of providing quality service. Maybe a sense of pride in a job well done would be a good reason for GS to "do something." At least, I hope that the crew at GS has a sense of pride in their work.

now the site is completely down.

GS do something. We pay a lot of money !

Less than a dime a day is what we each pay. Doesn't sound like a "lot of money" to me. Even when all of those dimes are accumulated, I doubt anyone at GS is going to make the Forbes List.

Yes, the outages and the slow loading times are annoying. Maybe Irene has something to do with today's slow response times, maybe not.

Doubtful, since the Groundspeak servers are in Seattle, of course.

30 dollars a year. Hmmmm between 7 and 8 gallons of gas is about 30 bucks. A below average meal out is about 30 bucks. Oh yea how many packs of smokes do you get for 30 bucks, a weeks worth?

For those who insist of whinning about the site, Please!!! The Groundspeak group is doing an awesome job with trying to keep the site running smoothly. Sure, there are times when we can't do what we want to do. But, to think the world will stop turning because the site is slow? OR even down?

Here's a great idea. When you cant get caches to your GPS, go for a walk, play with the kids/dog. Watch a baseball/football/soccer game.

30 dollars a year. Hmmmm between 7 and 8 gallons of gas is about 30 bucks. A below average meal out is about 30 bucks. Oh yea how many packs of smokes do you get for 30 bucks, a weeks worth?

For those who insist of whinning about the site, Please!!! The Groundspeak group is doing an awesome job with trying to keep the site running smoothly. Sure, there are times when we can't do what we want to do. But, to think the world will stop turning because the site is slow? OR even down?

Here's a great idea. When you cant get caches to your GPS, go for a walk, play with the kids/dog. Watch a baseball/football/soccer game.

We pay for a "service". How would you react if you buy a pack of smokes that is empty or your favorite tv channel is 1 day out of order? Would you be happy? No.

Indeed, Groundspeak is doing a great job, BUT after every upgrade there are major issues and the "service" is not working properly anymore.

It seems that "lessons learned" is not on Groundspeak's priority list... :sad:

Groundspeak, keep your customers :D and listen to them, they pay your lunch every day!

Edited by DanPan

If this has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, my apologies...

When Facebook and Twitter sharing were first offered, I went to the Sharing settings page and checked the box that read "Update Facebook status when I log a geocache on the website." From that point on, whenever I logged a Find or a DNF, I had the option on the "Post a New Log" page to also post the log on Facebook. The checkbox was checked by default; I could uncheck it if I didn't want that log to appear on Facebook.

Ever since the latest update, the checkbox on the "Post a New Log" page doesn't appear. Every Find or DNF log I enter winds up on Facebook.

I don't want every log to appear on Facebook, only selected ones. The way it stands now, it's an all-or-nothing affair. The last thing I want to is to spam my Facebook friends with every log I enter on GC.com.

I've had no choice but to turn off Facebook and Twitter sharing until and unless this glitch is resolved. Phooey.

--Larry

Edited to add: Wow. Never mind. After turning OFF ""Update Facebook status when I log a geocache on the website," I now get an (unchecked by default) box on the "Post a New Log" page to "Update Facebook Status." Am I crazy, or has this option been tweaked while I wasn't looking? If so, I can live with it working this way.

Edited by larryc43230

We pay for a "service". How would you react if you buy a pack of smokes that is empty or your favorite tv channel is 1 day out of order? Would you be happy? No.

Indeed, Groundspeak is doing a great job, BUT after every upgrade there are major issues and the "service" is not working properly anymore.

It seems that "lessons learned" is not on Groundspeak's priority list... :sad:

Groundspeak, keep your customers :D and listen to them, they pay your lunch every day!

My point is that for 30 dollars we are getting tons of things. Pocket Queries, maps, premium only caches, the list goes on. Patience is something that not enough people use. Empty pack of smokes? I'd compare what we ARENT getting from GS (right now) to opening a pack of smokes to find maybe one, that is bent a bit.

I found yet another minor improvement. I can move the log date closer to the log type as follows:

.LogType       {width:20% !important}
.LogType + div {width:76% !important;
               text-align:left !important}

I haven't seen this mess up any other formatting. I'm not entirely sure I prefer it to the default -- while it gets the date back closer to the important stuff, it looks a bit more cluttered, and it's not at the far left as I'd prefer. I'll probably keep it though. As with most of the other CSS spec changes I've proposed, it's independent of the others. (I think I've mentioned before that the date could probably be moved to the far left, but that would require JavaScript as well as CSS.)

So here's my complete specs now:

/* Make avatars on logs just totally vanish.
I don't know whether this prevents the download. */

.logOwnerAvatar {display:none !important}

/* Tighten up the spacing in the log. Readability is not
reduced at all, due to the alternating background colors
and the bold log type. */

.LogDisplayRight .LogText
  {min-height: 0    !important;
   padding-top: 0   !important;
   margin-bottom: 0 !important}

/* Try to stop the View Log from taking up a whole line
all for itself. This occasionally (perhaps 1 log in 10)
causes the View Log to overlap a bit of the log text.
If this bothers you, remove this line. The only cost of
removing it is a bit of extra space at the bottom of
most logs. */

.LogText + .AlignRight {margin-top: -20px !important}

/* I also don't care whether the logger is a premium member, and showing
that sometimes forces an extra line in the log entry, so don't show it.
This is optional and independent of the other specs. */

.logOwnerBadge {display:none !important}

/* All the smily faces in the left column confuse me because it's the same
image as for the Found It log, so don't show it. But then the counts need
to be bolder.
This is optional and independent of the other specs. */

.logOwnerStats img {display:none  !important}
.logOwnerStats {font-weight: bold !important;
               color:#000000     !important}

/* All the following adjustments to text size and color are
optional and independent of the other specs. */

/* Make the log date display larger and bolder. */