Geocaching.com site update August 18th 2011

Folks have said what I wanted to say about the "about a month ago" instead of the date. Thank you for bringing them back soon. Folks have said what I wanted to say about the avatars except that in addition, it is difficult for those prone to wrist/ computer disorders like carpal tunnel to now have even more space to scroll through in order to read logs. Please allow us the option at least to disable avatars in logs.

I am quite disappointed in the new replacement for virtual caches. I had a location Ive been trying to turn into a cache, but it was not working out. Since then Ive been waiting for about 3 months to turn it into a virtual cache when I heard they were coming back. With this new layout, it will not work as a virtual cache. My location is a cool unusual memorial that has no place to hide a cache, and no place to hide one remotely nearby either. It is a place that cannot have folks taking goofy photos, which would defeat the significance and solemnity of the memorial and its location.

Another issue I have with the new challenges is the lack of control I have over my idea once it is accepted. If I post a challenge, I want it to remain mine.

We were told virtuals are coming back. These are not virtuals. Im sure some folks will enjoy them. I will stick with geocaching and Waymarking. At least there I can enjoy posting cool memorials for the one or two people who waymark in my area.

Folks have said what I wanted to say about the avatars except that in addition, it is difficult for those prone to wrist/ computer disorders like carpal tunnel to now have even more space to scroll through in order to read logs. Please allow us the option at least to disable avatars in logs.

i don't mean to sound insensitive to people's ailments, but if you suffer from said syndrome why would you still use the scroll and not the page down?

These are Challenges:

Know Your Local Cacher Challenge - GC1JQAD

Bingo Challenge - Let the Tournaments Begin! - GC1W5HT

An Über Icon Day Challenge Washington State - GC29YBF

Puzzler's Puzzle Challenge - GX197AD

Fool's Errand - A Washington Challenge Cache - GC1HPN3

Cache By Numbers - Challenge Cache of Washington - GC16R01

Shelrik's Center Of The Triad Challenge - GC1WYHN

King County Thomas Guide Challenge - GC1A012

Washington DeLorme Challenge - GCQQ9B

CCFTF9+ Streak Challenge - GC2GD5F

Weekend Warrior Challenge - GC1VBWM

Washington Century Challenge - GC25MJ3

An Alphabet Soup Challenge for Washington - GCYP7T

5 States and Provinces Challenge - GC2WF7M

5-5 Challenge - GC2WR57

Silly's 3 State Challenge - GC2A12N

Everyday Cacher Challenge - GC22BVM

CCFTF9+ Master Challenge - GC2GD5R

This new idea that Groundspeak has is dumb and to call it a "Challenge" is an insult to those of us that have worked hard at getting the real thing.

I think the reason of adding avatar is to making the screen not so empty, but for me who is still using 1024*768 resolution is not that fun for the new design. :mad:

I suggest Groundspeak should allow user to choose the favorite way on displaying the outlook!

In addition, I found that the block "CHALLENGES COMPLETED" in profile page is wrapped into next row under the resolution I am using!

new site is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG do you people not have QA testers to test stuff in a test setting before releasing live?? What is this crap "found about 8 days ago".. You've completely screwed up people who do caching challenges now.. way to go.. Your site gets worse and worse with each upgrade.

Didn't there used to be a link to my photo gallery on my private profile page? I know that I can see it if I go to my public profile page, but I thought there was also a link on my private profile page.

Anyway, I am considering treating Worldwide Challenges™ the way I treated locationless virtuals like Four Windows, by posting a Note. It seems easy enough to post a Comment (the Challenge Challenges™ equivalent of a Note) and to attach a photo to it, but the photo doesn't appear in my gallery, and there doesn't seem to be any way to produce a list of Challenges™ for which I have posted Comments. If I ever hope to access my Comment or Photo again, then I have to Accept and Complete the Challenge™ as Groundspeak intended, but that increments my found/completed count, which I would rather continue to maintain as my found count (at least for now).

Love the new avatars! And who cares about the exact dates?

Just kidding; this might be one of the most inane updates ever. I now maintain no less than 12 ABP rules to keep the worst cruft off the gc.com pages.

Please share your ABP rules so we can retain some control of what/how things appear...

These are Challenges:

5-5 Challenge - GC2WR57

This new idea that Groundspeak has is dumb and to call it a "Challenge" is an insult to those of us that have worked hard at getting the real thing.

I agree with this sentiment. It seems to me that the Geocaching community has already defined what "challenges" are, and I think that we were just hoping to get a new cache type to use for such challenges. The challenge cache type would require a physical cache placement by the owner, and the owner would be allowed to dictate the rules of what qualified to log the challenge. What I think the community wanted was a fairly simple concept, and GC.com could implement it by making slightly more formal the conventions that the community already followed. But what is presented here looks very different, and seems perhaps to belong more on the locationless Waymarking site. The currently challenge implementation seems ill conceived. I had been hoping for more.

Love the new avatars! And who cares about the exact dates?

Just kidding; this might be one of the most inane updates ever. I now maintain no less than 12 ABP rules to keep the worst cruft off the gc.com pages.

Please share your ABP rules so we can retain some control of what/how things appear...

Disclaimer:

geocaching.com#fieldset(class=DisclaimerWidget)

"Success" favorites thing:

geocaching.com#div(class=span-10 FavoritesStatusWidget)

would be my contribution...

Since I don't think they'll take the avatars out, here's the ABP rules to do that:

geocaching.com#p(class=logOwnerAvatar)

Thanks, works great, along with the ABP rule to remove the social networking links.

Another vote aginst what appears to be the dumbing down of the site and the game to appeal to 'point and click' cachers. Heck, maybe I can just log online first, and then go to the cache later and write "TFTC, about a month ago". Are you trying to attract quality players that enjoy and respect the game beyond the numbers, or just capture more eyeballs for page views and ad click-throughs?

Didn't there used to be a link to my photo gallery on my private profile page? I know that I can see it if I go to my public profile page, but I thought there was also a link on my private profile page.

Anyway, I am considering treating Worldwide Challenges™ the way I treated locationless virtuals like Four Windows, by posting a Note. It seems easy enough to post a Comment (the Challenge Challenges™ equivalent of a Note) and to attach a photo to it, but the photo doesn't appear in my gallery, and there doesn't seem to be any way to produce a list of Challenges™ for which I have posted Comments. If I ever hope to access my Comment or Photo again, then I have to Accept and Complete the Challenge™ as Groundspeak intended, but that increments my found/completed count, which I would rather continue to maintain as my found count (at least for now).

I don't think so... I'm pretty sure I noticed before this release that there wasn't a link there, and that I had to go to the tabbed interface to get there.

Since I don't think they'll take the avatars out, here's the ABP rules to do that:

Thank you! Too bad we have to "hack" the gc.com page to rid ourselves of this foolishness.

Seriously, what were they thinking?

I can ignore so-called "challenges". Now if we could just get real log dates back.

I agree with this sentiment. It seems to me that the Geocaching community has already defined what "challenges" are, and I think that we were just hoping to get a new cache type to use for such challenges. The challenge cache type would require a physical cache placement by the owner, and the owner would be allowed to dictate the rules of what qualified to log the challenge. What I think the community wanted was a fairly simple concept, and GC.com could implement it by making slightly more formal the conventions that the community already followed. But what is presented here looks very different, and seems perhaps to belong more on the locationless Waymarking site. The currently challenge implementation seems ill conceived. I had been hoping for more.

Here's the official statement regarding the naming of this new "cache type" (from another thread):

I think "Challenge Caches" is a poor choice in naming (or maybe a poor concept), so I don't really care if there is some initial confusion about the difference between the replacement for virtuals, called "Challenges," and the "challenge cache." The use of "challenge" is appropriate in the context of the replacement for virtuals, so that's what it is. It is my belief that the large majority of geocachers don't even know what a challenge cache is.

(bolded by me)

These are Challenges:

5-5 Challenge - GC2WR57

Agreed. :angry:

Thanks, works great, along with the ABP rule to remove the social networking links.

Another vote aginst what appears to be the dumbing down of the site and the game to appeal to 'point and click' cachers. Heck, maybe I can just log online first, and then go to the cache later and write "TFTC, about a month ago". Are you trying to attract quality players that enjoy and respect the game beyond the numbers, or just capture more eyeballs for page views and ad click-throughs?

Yes it looks like it is officially all about the numbers now.. both in caches and cachers.

I now maintain no less than 12 ABP rules to keep the worst cruft off the gc.com pages.

Disclaimer:

geocaching.com#fieldset(class=DisclaimerWidget)

"Success" favorites thing:

geocaching.com#div(class=span-10 FavoritesStatusWidget)

would be my contribution...

Thanks! I've also figured out how to block the following sections I never use...

Personal Notes:

geocaching.com#fieldset(class=NotesWidget)

Print:

geocaching.com##div#Print

Large Map:

geocaching.com##div#uxlrgMap

But haven't been able to figure out how to remove the For online maps... section.

Here's the official statement regarding the naming of this new "cache type" (from another thread):

I think "Challenge Caches" is a poor choice in naming (or maybe a poor concept), so I don't really care if there is some initial confusion about the difference between the replacement for virtuals, called "Challenges," and the "challenge cache." The use of "challenge" is appropriate in the context of the replacement for virtuals, so that's what it is. It is my belief that the large majority of geocachers don't even know what a challenge cache is.

(bolded by me)

Oh my, that is really upsetting. :cry:

But haven't been able to figure out how to remove the For online maps... section.

Try those two:

geocaching.com#span(id=ctl00_ContentBody_MapLinks_MapLinks)
geocaching.com#span(id=ctl00_ContentBody_uxMapLinkHeader)

Groundspeak, please read:

When users start customizing style sheets and writing their own scripts to change your layout and design, something is terribly wrong.

I'm not really sure how disorganized the web dev team is, or whether it's a communication issue between PR and development, but I think they need a lesson in web design 101 again. Adding things for the sake of adding things and changing things for the sake of changing things is not progress. All your going to accomplish is aggravating your precious (well I assume, with today's update, I'm not so sure...) user base.

Revert, revert, revert.

I think this hits the nail on the head for today's "upgrade". Making changes for the sake of looking like progress is being made is senseless. Update the site when it is truly needed for what the "customer base" is asking for and what is really needed!! Some recent updates have been nice, but doing it for the sake of looking like you're doing something is stupid. Resources should be focused on what is "needed", instead of making changes simply to "make changes". Frankly, I think the "making changes" attitude over the last couple of years has been needlessly in "overdrive".

Edited by 24hawki

Try those two:

geocaching.com#span(id=ctl00_ContentBody_MapLinks_MapLinks)
geocaching.com#span(id=ctl00_ContentBody_uxMapLinkHeader)

Perfect, thanks!

(bolded by me)

Didn't all virtuals require posting the coordinates so that you could locate it by using a GPSr? This is a real break-out for Groundspeak in that they now encourage NON-location based experiences.

Where are all the "too much white space" folks today?
Here ya go. For those wanting to remove excess white space from logs and able to install user CSS, this code removes a lot. See comments in the code for details. It includes the avatar killer I posted earlier and also trims space around the log text. The parts between /* ... */ are purely for human consumption and can be removed if having the comments lying around disturbs you.

I don't know anything about ABP, but from the examples I've seen posted here, I gather it's just a slightly easier syntax that gets converted into CSS, so my CSS can probably be rewritten in ABP.

/* Make avatars on logs just totally vanish.
I don't know whether this prevents the download. */

.logOwnerAvatar {display:none}

/* Tighten up the spacing in the log. Readability is not
reduced at all, due to the alternating background colors
and the bold log type. */

.LogDisplayRight .LogText
  {min-height: 0    !important;
   padding-top: 0   !important;
   margin-bottom: 0 !important}

/* Try to stop the View Log from taking up a whole line
all for itself. This occasionally (perhaps 1 log in 10)
causes the View Log to overlap a bit of the log text.
If this bothers you, remove this line. The only cost of
removing it is a bit of extra space at the bottom of
most logs. */

.LogText + .AlignRight {margin-top: -20px !important}

Edward

If you're going to reintroduce elements of Waymarking back into the geocaching website, why not just merge the two sites and be done with it?

I've suggested repeatedly that the only thing wrong with Waymarking is that it's a separate web site, and I'm not going to take the time to look stuff up on two sites. If the two were integrated, if the maps showed both (optionally) and the buttons to select types included WM types, and if PQs could include WM things, then I'd probably do a lot of waymarks.

Edward

We wouldn't normally post more negativity, but we need to add our voices to those geocachers who are disappointed with this update.

Is there a policy to dumb down this site and/or this game? The last few upgrades seem to be going that way. The silly new smiley faces from a few updates ago, and now huge avatars and no dates on posts??? What are you thinking? Maybe you think everyone who geocaches is under the age of 10?

And we are very upset about this new challenge thing. As others have said a challenge is something worthy to work toward, to spend time, energy and money to accomplish a task that has to do with geocaching. We love those challenges. Now, challenge has taken on a whole new meaning and it's a dumbed down meaning.... and from what I saw today it is just stupid ... "Kiss a Frog" and a few later "Kiss a Dick"... what? no oversight?

So much is getting dumbed down these days, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that geocaching.com is also on the chopping block.

We want to opt out of this stupid challenge thing.

And bring back the dates! Soon.

What was the reason to delete the exact date? I cannot remember that there was a hot feedback topic from the cachers to do this! Please bring back the exact dates. Only reading "about two years ago" is horrible!

And who wanted to have the avatars in the logs? Complete waste of space, espacially here on my ipad, and useless!

You should better use your time for the hot feedback topics. Why did you postpone to include the favourite points in the gpx files, for instance. THAT is what the geocacher want to have....

dbox.

Agree.

Please remove the avatars from the cache pages and return the correct actual dates.

+1.

And lose Challenges. Worse than the abused Virtuals and ALRs.

Yes, Please bring back the dates in the logs, and get rid of the pictures. Can't imagine the reasoning behind this change.

Also, I think the Challenge idea is childish. The Virtual brought people to places of historical and cultural interest, where you could actually learn something.

Edited by elmh
Where are all the "too much white space" folks today?
Here ya go. For those wanting to remove excess white space from logs and able to install user CSS, this code removes a lot. See comments in the code for details. It includes the avatar killer I posted earlier and also trims space around the log text. The parts between /* ... */ are purely for human consumption and can be removed if having the comments lying around disturbs you.

I don't know anything about ABP, but from the examples I've seen posted here, I gather it's just a slightly easier syntax that gets converted into CSS, so my CSS can probably be rewritten in ABP.

/* Make avatars on logs just totally vanish.
I don't know whether this prevents the download. */

.logOwnerAvatar {display:none}

/* Tighten up the spacing in the log. Readability is not
reduced at all, due to the alternating background colors
and the bold log type. */

.LogDisplayRight .LogText
  {min-height: 0    !important;
   padding-top: 0   !important;
   margin-bottom: 0 !important}

/* Try to stop the View Log from taking up a whole line
all for itself. This occasionally (perhaps 1 log in 10)
causes the View Log to overlap a bit of the log text.
If this bothers you, remove this line. The only cost of
removing it is a bit of extra space at the bottom of
most logs. */

.LogText + .AlignRight {margin-top: -20px !important}

Edward

How and where would I use this kind of code? I usually use Chrome to browse the web.

We wouldn't normally post more negativity, but we need to add our voices to those geocachers who are disappointed with this update.

Is there a policy to dumb down this site and/or this game? The last few upgrades seem to be going that way. The silly new smiley faces from a few updates ago, and now huge avatars and no dates on posts??? What are you thinking? Maybe you think everyone who geocaches is under the age of 10?

And we are very upset about this new challenge thing. As others have said a challenge is something worthy to work toward, to spend time, energy and money to accomplish a task that has to do with geocaching. We love those challenges. Now, challenge has taken on a whole new meaning and it's a dumbed down meaning.... and from what I saw today it is just stupid ... "Kiss a Frog" and a few later "Kiss a Dick"... what? no oversight?

So much is getting dumbed down these days, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that geocaching.com is also on the chopping block.

We want to opt out of this stupid challenge thing.

And bring back the dates! Soon.

Avatars in logs ... way useless.

Dates for logs ... bring them back ... interesting and useful. I often need to find a cache I visited based on the date of find.

Challenges ... let's see. Someone will get a Challenge point for dancing while I don't have one for finding a cache in every county in the state of California. Preposterous.

Sadly, we are beginning to dread ANY site updates. And this one did not fail to confirm our dread. Just to add our two cents:

1. Bring back the found date.

2. Hate the avatars on the cache logs.

3. "Challenge Caches" is really confusing. Since there are already caches out there that are challenges, meaning you have to do something in order to log the cache, the "Challenge" name is what is confusing. So, are "real" challenge caches still allowed?

How about changing the name of the new thing to something like, oh, I don't know...virtual caches?????

Don't like to be negative because we usually appreciate all the hard work the GS folks do. We just don't understand why so many things are "fixed" in updates that nobody asked for and the things we ask to fix don't get fixed?

For example, we still can't get our Motorola Xoom to display caches on the beta maps. That would have been a nice fix.

Sigh...... :cry:

I agree with the above.

Also, they should bring back the original Vituals but with stricter guidelines. I have seen/done a couple that were plain silly (play an arcade game/count the buttons on a guardrail) and should have never been an approved Virtual Cache to start with. In my opinion, a Virtual Cache should take you to some place interesting, i.e. a historical landmark/building, a plaque that commemorates something interesting, unique natural feature such as a waterfall, National Park, etc., and the placement is not appropriate for a traditional cache. Maybe, as part of the reviewing process, the cache owner can provide a photo of this potential Virtual Cache.

I'm going to have to agree with all of those who don't like the terminology of "challenge". I've done some challenge caches that take months or years to complete. Taking my picture somewhere looks to be more like a task than a challenge. It might be challenging if you only had a limited period of time to complete it in or something.

Now to check out Neongeo!

For many years, I have kept a database of caches I have visited. Amongst other things, every day I need to enter the last-found date for a given number of caches. Yes, this is a mindless waste of time, but at least it's pretty much a mechanical thing, and I don't have to think about what I'm doing. Until now! No way do I want or should I have to sit down and mentally calculate a date based on how many days ago it was from today. Why was this deemed necessary?

It seems everything that was done on this update was not requested, high in like counts or anything and just made up out of randomness.

Hey hater,

in fact, bringing back virtuals was one of the top requested features on user voice. It has been for years.

The rating feature will hide the bad challenge, because they suck. There are already some great ones.

...I didn't think the API for GSAK was part of this release?

It isn't. Just saying I like it and am glad to see other apps being released using the API.

The API for GSAK is available now, with the GSAK 8 beta available on the gsak site.

Groundspeak didn't "announce" it, but anyone can use it by going there and downloading the GSAK beta.

Challenges are not "bringing back virtuals" but rather bringing back Locationless caches, which, let's face it, sucked.

False. World Challenges are like locationless caches. There are already many of the new 'Challenges' which require you going to a specific location. You can find them by searching by location on the challenge site.

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between this and this. If you're going to reintroduce elements of Waymarking back into the geocaching website, why not just merge the two sites and be done with it?

Exactly. A few tweaks to Waymarking is all that was required. Jeremy has voiced his frustration that Waymarking hasn't been developed and evolved properly, but surely the people who worked on "Challenges" could have been deployed in Waymarking development instead? IMO all they needed to do was put more links to waymarks into the geocaching site, include them (optionally) in PQ's and include a tally of waymarks found in your profile stats. For certain waymarks, more interactive features could have been developed.

An opportunity squandered, in favour of inviting a firestorm of criticism for a badly thought out new concept.

Please, please, please,

- REMOVE the avatars - or at least make them configurable (on/off).

It's a complete waste of screen space especially on small screens like on netbooks or on smartphones.

- give us back the exact log date! It's essential!

Thanks!

Edited by Anke&Didi

With the caveat that some of these might be out of date, here is what I currently have to restore some semblance of sanity to gc.com:

geocaching.com##div#Print
geocaching.com#div(class^=CacheDetailPageAds clear)
geocaching.com#div(class^=FavoritesStatusWidget)
geocaching.com#div(class^=MasterPageAds)
geocaching.com#div(class^=mxStats)
geocaching.com#div(id^=feedback-tab)
geocaching.com#fieldset(class^=DisclaimerWidget)
geocaching.com#fieldset(class^=NotesWidget)
geocaching.com#footer
geocaching.com#p(class=SocialMediaIcons NoBottomSpacing right)
geocaching.com#p(class^=logOwnerAvatar)
geocaching.com#p(class^=logOwnerBadge)
geocaching.com#p(class^=logOwnerStats)

There are 13 now after I grabbed the print-hiding rule upthread :)

EDIT: Three more here ...

geocaching.com#a(id^=ctl00_hlNavResources)
geocaching.com#a(id^=ctl00_hlNavShop)
geocaching.com#a(id^=ctl00_hlNavVideos)

My god, this thread sure does attract the morons doesn't it.

Thank you for your valuable input. Did you notice that the "morons" outnumber you infinity to one in this thread before posting your pearls of wisdom?

Edited by Yellow ants