Geocaching.com site update August 18th 2011

Read the last update's Release Notes

jgkVe.pngGeocaching Challenges

Go somewhere, do something. That's the basic idea behind Geocaching Challenges. You might be challenged to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, sing a song in the middle of Times Square, or take a picture of yourself walking through the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2DOZo_67U

Read CEO Jeremy Irish's post about Challenges in our blog

Read the Challenges FAQ

Get started!

Challenges home page:

xY53R.png

Challenge details page:

s8Iuu.png

Profile update:

UmzT7.png

Cache logs update (note the breakdown of finds/completions on hover):

FCgZc.png

Challenges is a work in progress! We are planing several hotfixes in the next couple weeks to address bugs and feature requests. Some ideas for the next phases include:

• Highly rated Challenges displayed in geocache search results
  • Pocket Queries for Challenges (and GPX downloads)
  • Mapping tools
  • New Challenge Types
  • Support for verification questions

…and other ideas submitted by you. Please give us your feedback on User Voice.

KD0cp.png Geocaching Live API Beta

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues with two more quality apps released this week.

0CiME.png GCBuddy (iPhone)

Conveniently prepare your multicache visit at home, and enter all discovered clues into the app while in the field to reveal new waypoints to navigate to. Considered by many to be a must-have app for any serious geocacher looking to solve multi's. A version for Android OS is in the works and coming soon! Visit GCBuddy.com for more information.

5d2TI.png Neongeo (Android)

Neongeo is your complete mobile geocaching suite for both online and offline usage. Search geocaches on the go, import GPX, log travellers and geocaches online, keep fieldnotes, setup custom map servers and much more. Visit Neongeo.com for more information.

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

2pm PDT is middle of the evening here in the UK. So, I was setting myself up for tomorrows caching late this afternoon so as to miss the downtime later but the site has been taken down really early and messed me up. Hope it is back in a few hours so that I can use some of the evening here otherwise no caching tomorrow.

Regards

Underawed C0lin

Domo again!!!

Darn, too early man...

Also, "Geocaching Challenges" IS a very confusing name, with all the 'Challenge' Mystery caches already out there now.

Well, at least they are counted independently as a new category from 'cache' finds & Trackables.

Can't wait.

Thanks!

FCgZc.png

So the log date is no longer going to be displayed? Just some ambiguous time span such as "about 6 months ago".

Please bring the date back!

Seriously guys? Some people need to see specific dates.

Groundspeak has to be the only business in the world who repeatedly schedules server updates in the middle of the day on a weekday. What's up with that?

its a global site, would you perhaps like to suggest a time when its not "middle of the day" somewhere in the world? :lol:

btw the site is back

Edited by t4e

FCgZc.png

So the log date is no longer going to be displayed? Just some ambiguous time span such as "about 6 months ago".

I second that...

a Month ago, is just to vague in my opinion. Followed by a year ago, then roughly a decade ago ?

Please bring back the dates

[Edit:]

The timespan is even incorrect, take e.g. GC1M7ZZ

Hidden : 13/11/2009

but the published note says:

Publish Listing; about a year ago

Edited by Kalkendotters

FCgZc.png

+1 to that! Dates are how we know exactly when the cache was last found. It helps me determine the difference between a DNF and a missing cache. I'd be happier to know that the cache was found exactly 3 weeks and 4 days ago instead of about a month ago. "About a month" can be anything from 3 to 5 weeks.

Perhaps I'll be happier with the change if I know the reason.

+1 to that! Dates are how we know exactly when the cache was last found. It helps me determine the difference between a DNF and a missing cache. I'd be happier to know that the cache was found exactly 3 weeks and 4 days ago instead of about a month ago. "About a month" can be anything from 3 to 5 weeks.

I also wish to know the exact date. This is also helpful when checking whether late logs (e.g. induced by team splits) make sense.

Moreover, I would prefer not to have the avatars in the logs. I prefer text and not colouful pictures. Maybe one could implement an option where one can choose which version one prefers? I do not want to look gc.com like facebook or twitter pages or kindergarden books.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

FCgZc.png

Wow, just when you think the amount of white space and unnecessary scrolling couldn't get worse along this comes [:(]. When accompanied by loss of really useful information I do not know what the world is coming to. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh it is horrid.

FCgZc.png

What a waste of

time (loading all the picture)

traffic (loading from mobile device)

space (seeing nothing of interest)

and paper (printing the useless pictures form our friends ever and ever )

Please make to switch it off !!!

Edited by Biggi_H

Searching challenges by coordinates doesn't work for me. I always get "Results for: 47°39.585'N 122°21.354'W" regardless what's in the URL.

Just curious why the coordinate display is not consistent with the rest of the site i.e. 47°39.585'N 122°21.354'W" instead of the usual N47 39.585 W122 21.354.

Edited by Avernar

Another comment on the new log layout: it is too big for small monitors (and I suppose for smart phones and such). On my 12" screen I see 'premium member' in one line, below a big photo, then with another big space my number of finds, and then the log below this. One not too comprehensive log covers my whole screen with all the additional information above and the big spaces between all items. If I am out caching and would want to find more information within the logs I have to skip so much useless information and scroll down a lot just to read the three last logs. Please change back to the old layout. Maybe it wasn't pretty, but at least it was usable on all sorts of devices.

Mrs. Terratin

Any one having trouble in Chrome where the log entries are not rendering correctly?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6056283329_860b686d87.jpg

They changed the stylesheet, so you will have to do a full reload (I think it is done in Chrome by holding down the Shift key and pressing reload). Otherwise, clear your browser cache and reload the page.

Edited by JJnTJ

FCgZc.png

Wow, just when you think the amount of white space and unnecessary scrolling couldn't get worse along this comes [:(]. When accompanied by loss of really useful information I do not know what the world is coming to. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh it is horrid.

I agree, the dates need to be shown, not relative dates.

OK, the layout is working now. I just noticed another difficulty with the new log layout:

If you want to cache abroad and at least have a look into the logs in other languages you have to copy and paste all the additional information into your translator website, which looks like this:

------------

terratin

[Premium Member] Premium Member

Found it Found it

today

Today at the office, somewhere in the background the new German colleague talks about walking around Copenhagen with his kids. mumble castle mumblemumble boats mumble drunken house..

someone: drunken house?

Answer: yes, my kids call it that way. It's blue (being blue = being drunk in German) because it's constantly been drinking from the wine barrel that stands there.

Mrs Terratin, suddenly all ears: OH!

Thanks to Mrs. Terratin's marvelous interrogation techniques it took a long while to find out where the barrel is hiding, followed by a phone call to Mr. Terratin for the final coordinates. The cache ...

---------

That's a lot of useless information in there :( And now look through some dozen or so logs.

Mrs. terratin

Edited by terratin
They changed the stylesheet, so you will have to do a full reload (I think it is done in Chrome by holding down the Shift key and pressing reload). Otherwise, clear your browser cache and reload the page.

Confirmed, the above also works in Firefox6 - thanks.

What was the reason to delete the exact date? I cannot remember that there was a hot feedback topic from the cachers to do this! Please bring back the exact dates. Only reading "about two years ago" is horrible!

And who wanted to have the avatars in the logs? Complete waste of space, espacially here on my ipad, and useless!

You should better use your time for the hot feedback topics. Why did you postpone to include the favourite points in the gpx files, for instance. THAT is what the geocacher want to have....

dbox.

Just curious why the coordinate display is not consistent with the rest of the site i.e. 47°39.585'N 122°21.354'W" instead of the usual N47 39.585 W122 21.354.

These are the sorts of things that could be ironed out if they'd let us beta-test the site changes.

What was the reason to delete the exact date? I cannot remember that there was a hot feedback topic from the cachers to do this! Please bring back the exact dates. Only reading "about two years ago" is horrible!

And who wanted to have the avatars in the logs? Complete waste of space, espacially here on my ipad, and useless!

You should better use your time for the hot feedback topics. Why did you postpone to include the favourite points in the gpx files, for instance. THAT is what the geocacher want to have....

dbox.

Wholeheartedly concur!! :D

Is that the 'solved' coords by any chance?

I figured it out. The "View nearby challenges" link on the http://www.geocaching.com/my/ page is missing the st=loc parameter in the URL which is included when doing a search from the challenge page. That's why it's not working.

except for the dates being messed up i like the way the logs look

on the challenges subject...why are people not completing the challenge allowed to vote?...you realize what that is going to do right?...will turn into a "payback" war for some personal issues against the creator

I don't usually respond to update "stuff" as I figure it won't make any difference, but add me to the folks who don't like the huge new logs on the cache pages. Don't need/want the avatar or the relative date - now have to scroll much more to get what I want. Also, for those of us who load the last 5 logs with our GPX file, I assume all those avatars are going to take up a chunk of memory, right? What in the world was wrong with the logs the way they were? Many site changes leave me wondering why???. Maybe you could add a brief reason to the changes?

Just my $.02......

Mrs. Car54

Any one having trouble in Chrome where the log entries are not rendering correctly?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6056283329_860b686d87.jpg

Clearing the browser's cache worked. Thanks!

Add me to the please bring back the actual log date. What's up with the "challenges"??? These need to be put on some other web site, not geocaching.com! I was led to believe that the use of a GPSr was a prime requirement for things on this site.

:rolleyes:

I was looking at Challenges and wondering if any of my Friends had accepted, created or completed any yet. Since I couldn't remember the URL for that page, I had to click in half a dozen places to even find a link to my Friends page. The link isn't under "Play", "Your Profile", etc, it's buried in the cluttered mess of the /my page.

That top navbar (with "Play") was a good idea. Why didn't you finish it?

edit:

Turns out one of my friends created a challenge and another completed it. But the challenge doesn't show up anywhere in either of their profiles. I thought all these silly new changes were to increase the social networking aspect of the site?

Edited by JJnTJ

Groundspeak has to be the only business in the world who repeatedly schedules server updates in the middle of the day on a weekday. What's up with that?

its a global site, would you perhaps like to suggest a time when its not "middle of the day" somewhere in the world? :lol:

btw the site is back

I think I've heard that before just before the "pop... Schusssss... Aaaaa.." around 10 AM on a hot Texas lake in a bass boat.

I'm sorry, I normally like the majority of the changes to the site but I really don't like these ones.

The missing date? There are certain challenge caches out there (not the new style challenges) which require caches to be found on specific dates. It's now impossible to check, and I find the whole 'about a month ago' FAR too vague for my liking.

And the Avatars on each log? I know some people print the cache page off, it'll take up a lot more ink/paper now and will also increase the amount needed to be downloaded to display the pages on a smartphone/pc/laptop.

dbox.

Agree.

Please remove the avatars from the cache pages and return the correct actual dates.

Bring back the log date! For example, I performed maintenance on my cache 12 days ago. Now a cacher logs late, and reports a problem with my cache. Then it might be important if he was there 11 or 13 days ago, so I know if he experienced the problem I have already fixed or if there is a new problem. I cannot (easily) see that with a vague "about 2 weeks ago" log. Clicking on each individual log or on the print-view is an unnecessary step.

Edited by FreizeitRunner