Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Stokiecachers

OMG a new topic! APRS anyone?

Hi fellow amateurs.

Leigh, M5GWH here - and enjoying Geocaching - and also amateur radio and APRS.

Just wondering if anyone out there has played with APRS as part of geocaching? My car has 2m APRS onboard as M5GWH-9 (see http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2962585) which is also GK2QPK so a mobile travelbug too.

Car has been spotted a few times and just good fun to think that anyone finding it can also look where it is via APRS - often parked outside the house here. (Setup is a GPS bug, TinyTrak3+ and 5watt 2m handheld with magentic rooftop aerial - works well!)

Anyone done on-foot APRS at all? I'm thinking about it if I can afford a handheld with APRS built in - probably the Kenwood.

Leigh aka Hanleycachers.

M5GWH. Stoke on Trent. UK.

I don't have any APRS capability right now, but I have watched some of the SOTA activators APRS tracks as they trek up to summits.

Chris

WB2VEN

I have a Yaesu VX-8 and use it for APRS a lot as KI6ZON-9. I have used it on my bike while Geocaching around town, but it is hard to tell who is Geocaching and who isn't - unless they give us a special SSID... KI6ZON-15 (Geocaching) :)

Hi all; W0GBS here, I have APRS in the truck a AvMap G5 and Kenwood D710 combo usually on while out geocaching. I have come across a few hams while out but mostly at events.

Jay, W0GBS

Hi all; W0GBS here, I have APRS in the truck a AvMap G5 and Kenwood D710 combo usually on while out geocaching. I have come across a few hams while out but mostly at events.

Jay, W0GBS

Hi Jay - I run the MB7UVT digipeater here at home and Jon G7OMN runs MB7UCW and we are both geocachers - but I guess finding radio hams who also geocache is more chance by asking when you meet. I have a Travelbug on the car (GK2QPK Renee the Serena) with APRS enabled and it's often a talking point (after people ask what all of the antennas on the roof are for!) and I usually say 'check out geocaching.com' so publicise geocaching too.

Leigh M5GWH

From time to time I hook my old eTrex Legend up to my Kenwood TH-D7 when I am out geocaching in the forests so people at home know roughly where I am. Of course it's dependent on the signal being strong enough to hit a digipeater. Usually the combination eTrex Legend Kenwood TM-D700 is running in my car as SARARQ-9.

From time to time I hook my old eTrex Legend up to my Kenwood TH-D7 when I am out geocaching in the forests so people at home know roughly where I am. Of course it's dependent on the signal being strong enough to hit a digipeater. Usually the combination eTrex Legend Kenwood TM-D700 is running in my car as SARARQ-9.

Tried looking on aprs.fi, but as I suspected... nothing. Not sure that SSID is correct somehow. Should there not be a numeral where the first R is... most rules require that to be a callsign! :rolleyes:

aprs.fi also allows a lot of other tracking information on there and sometimes the clutter is too much for my eyes. I'll look for one that only does HAM when I get a chance. My gear is down right now, sadly.

Doug 7rxc

If you can't get APRS via a radio - why not try via your phone if it has the capability?

I'm currently trying APRSBB for BlackBerry - not a very elegant looking app and in very early stages but seems to work 'okay' and I hope the development continues or someone else takes up the gauntlet and creates another app.

There are apps for Android phones and iPhones and I know there is APRS/ICE for Windows phones.

The only drawbacks are yet more demand on batteries!

Have fun!

Leigh

M5GWH/MB7UVT.

I can check locations of others fine with several of the APRS websites such as aprs.fi. But not if they don't broadcast the right SSID, which was my point... There are other things of course. This is about HAM RADIO, not internet or radio telephone, now isn't it. Things like radio regulations require a callsign as the primary SSID for digital operations. A NAME can be sent to appear on the maps, but the SSID is not a name or even an alias. There is a difference between APRS and other tracking systems. Lately aprs.fi has been linking in all sorts of interesting but non HAM related data. Looking for the ds8300 shows all sorts of stations that are not ham, but appear to be marine radio related. Around here there are automated weather stations (government) and all sorts of other thinks non ham related. I have to find another ham tracking site that works well.

BTW like many, I don't even have a regular telephone let alone cellular. Just use the internet... and radio of course.

Doug 7rxc

when I go caching I take along my kenwood d72a in the bottle holder on my backpack sice it has a camelback the bottle holder is unused other than as a radio holder my geobike and backpack are trackable as am I so when encountered I am trackable three different ways the APRS is always active and the gps logger is always running when im not in class

kd7jmz