First to Find coin keep or drop

miketroyer

I just started geocaching this summer and found my first First to Find coin.

I activated the coin.

Two questions....

Do i just drop it in another cache and follow online? or

Can I scan a picture of it and drop the pic and an attached item in the cache.

I'd sorta like to keep the coin for a souvinier,,,,but i also want to follow its travels.

REASON I ASK:

I found a scanned picture of an alaska travel coin which was attached to a rubber braclet.

I was able to log the coin and put it back out in another cache. Owners must have kept the actual coin.

Thanks for any opionions. Not sure of the proper etiquette.

miketroyer

:laughing:

It's not uncommon for folks to keep something like you found (a first to find coin) as a momenteo.

What you're speaking of is a "proxy" and there's much debate over it. Lots of people think it's so much better to be able to hold the coin in your hand, discover it, and send it on it's way.

Some people think it's ok if you originally released the coin and it was then lost/stolen (so you then released a photo of it to keep it going) but Lots of people don't like the idea and If it's a coin you value I wouldn't release it and keep it.

There are several ways to get an inexpensive coin (under $10) to send out on it's travels so you can track it.. or you can buy a travel tag to attach to something fun and follow it's travels. I love watching my TB's (travel bugs/ Geocoins) on their travels. I've passed some great ones on from other countries as well.

Why did you activate it at all. Personally i would have kept it as a momento of the FTF. Just because its a trackable doesn't mean it needs to be activated and needs to travel. At the very least you could use it as a millage tracker.

Its activated so just keep it with you and have it visit every cache you go to to keep track of where you have been. I've done that with one of my coins. After getting it and activating the coin i went back through all my finds to log a not and have the coin visit the cache and date the visit for the day i found the cache originally. So now my mileage tracker is an accurate account of my caching journey since day one keeping things as close to the order if found them as i could. It was difficult to remember what order i found many caches since there are 3 to 5 cache finds in a day early on.

In case your interested here is my mileage tracker. I like having the map showing all the criss crossing across the map i've done.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2917976

Edited by mpilchfamily

Why did you activate it at all. Personally i would have kept it as a momento of the FTF. Just because its a trackable doesn't mean it needs to be activated and needs to travel. At the very least you could use it as a millage tracker.

Its activated so just keep it with you and have it visit every cache you go to to keep track of where you have been. I've done that with one of my coins. After getting it and activating the coin i went back through all my finds to log a not and have the coin visit the cache and date the visit for the day i found the cache originally. So now my mileage tracker is an accurate account of my caching journey since day one keeping things as close to the order if found them as i could. It was difficult to remember what order i found many caches since there are 3 to 5 cache finds in a day early on.

In case your interested here is my mileage tracker. I like having the map showing all the criss crossing across the map i've done.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2917976

As a new cacher they may not have known the options of activating it or not. It is a good suggestion to keep it and "dip" it into caches you find in the future as a milage tracker. My dog has a new "geodog" geocoin that we put on her collar when we go caching and to events. People discover her and I "dip" the coin into caches. It's pretty amusing. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1024706

Congrats on your FTF and welcome to the game! You know, everybody has their own opinion about what to do with geocoins, how they feel about proxies, whether to activate or not...whatever. Just remember, you can play the game however you want to. There is no right or wrong way. Since you activated your coin (which is totally okay!), and you want to track it, you have lots of choices. There is always a risk of a coin going missing if you put the actual coin in a cache, but it sure is fun to watch them move around. The suggestion to use it as a mileage tracker for the caches you find is a good one. If you want to make a copy of it and put the "proxy" copy in a cache to track its travels, you eliminate the risk of loss, but there are lots of cachers who don't care to move or even discover proxy coins. I would suggest making sure you put "PROXY" somewhere in the name of the coin so that people know that's what it is before they head out to a cache. Enjoy the game in the way that makes you happiest! Cache on!! :grin:

Congrats on your FTF and welcome to the game! You know, everybody has their own opinion about what to do with geocoins, how they feel about proxies, whether to activate or not...whatever. Just remember, you can play the game however you want to. There is no right or wrong way. Since you activated your coin (which is totally okay!), and you want to track it, you have lots of choices. There is always a risk of a coin going missing if you put the actual coin in a cache, but it sure is fun to watch them move around. The suggestion to use it as a mileage tracker for the caches you find is a good one. If you want to make a copy of it and put the "proxy" copy in a cache to track its travels, you eliminate the risk of loss, but there are lots of cachers who don't care to move or even discover proxy coins. I would suggest making sure you put "PROXY" somewhere in the name of the coin so that people know that's what it is before they head out to a cache. Enjoy the game in the way that makes you happiest! Cache on!! :grin:

Very well said :D

Very well said :D

Why, thanks! :anicute:

Here, here! I agree on keeping it on you while you cache and dipping your mileage. It serves multiple purposes, too. 1) Allows you to hold on to a coin that is meaningful to you. 2) Allows others to enjoy it as well. 3) Allows you to keep track of everyone you meet on the trail by allowing them to Discover your coin so you have a permanent quick-reference-list for the future of the folks you've had the pleasure to cross paths with. Congratulations on your find and a big thank you to the generous cacher who left it for you to find!! :)

When the coin is in your inventory it will show up at the bottom of the Log your visit page. To the right is a drop down menu where you can either drop the trackable or have it Visit. Just use the Visit to indicate the trackable was with your and visited the cache. If you drop it in the cache then it will appear that the coin is in the cache waiting to be picked up by someone else.

Thanks!!! I have ordered a trackable so I can do just this. I actually ordered two. one to use to track myself and one to send on it's way in to the world!!

I love being outdoors but I get bored without a destination or a task. This is perfect. I get out...have a fun little task. I wish this was around when my kids were little. They are grown and not grandkids yet. But we've been collecting fun little toys to leave for the kiddos doing it now.

Again, thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll know enough soon to help others! [;)]

I just got my first geocoin given to me from my mom (Geocaching Block Party Coin) after we went to the Block Party this weekend. I dont want to get rid of it. Should I activate it? Or not? What is the difference?

What if I want to get rid of it later or trade it?

Or Just use it as a milage tracker?

Any advise?

No need to activate it. If you decide you want to send it on a mission later on down the road you can activate it then.

Some people will activate there coins right away. Especially ones they really like. Others don't. I only have one of mine activated to be used as a mileage tracker. Those that do activate them like to go to lots of events and show off there collection and allow people to discover there coins. If you show off an unactivated collection someone could take the tracking number and activate it themselves.

If you do activate it and want to sell it or what not you still can. Thats why there are Geacoin adoptions. But if you ever feel the need to sell your coins to get some money they won't sell as well or for as much if they are activated.

Hi! and welcome to the world of geocoins :rolleyes:

There are not too many posts on this forum, and I would suggest reading the previous ones because they offer some really good advice and different viewpoints on what you can do with your coin. Please feel free to do whatever makes you happiest and enjoy it! Everybody has their own opinions, but there are no rules and that's one of the nice things about this hobby.