What's the limit on watched caches?

jon & miki

I tried to add a watch today and got the following interesting message:

"You have an unlimited number of caches you can watch as a Premium Member.Sorry. You can only watch 100 caches at a time. Please remove a cache first before adding a new one."

It looks like the first sentence is not true since it didn't add the 101st. The third sentence appears to applicable.

Is there a programming error restricting premium members by accident or am I misinterpreting the first sentence?

Jon & Miki

What great news!! I have 2 lists of watched caches, one for English caches and one for USA and even then I need to delete old ones before I could watch any new ones that caught my eye. I'll still keep them separate but now won't lose any old favourites. Thanks Jeremy!

'Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!'

Eleanor Roosevelt

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

I fixed it. Premium Members now have an unlimited number of caches they can watch.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

There are a couple of features I'd like to see:

1.When you are logging a find there is a checkbox there to choose to watch the cache. This would save some GC bandwidth.

2.Premium Members get Autowatch. In other words the checkbox in point 1. can be made to be on by default. This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not.

3. Multiple Watch removal. I'd really like to be able to click a check box beside the caches I don't want to watch and then click "remove" to get rid of several at a time. Again this would reduce bandwidth and server load.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Jeremy - The ability to watch more than 100 caches was a feature we wanted but didn't really think we could ask for, knowing that you are working on many other things. We really appreciate the new feature and the thought that went into providing it unasked-for.

Jon & Miki

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

There are a couple of features I'd like to see:...

2.Premium Members get Autowatch. In other words the checkbox in point 1. can be made to be on by default. This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not...

If this were to be actually considered, I would vote against this option. The last thing I want is emails regarding all of the caches I've already found.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:

There are a couple of features I'd like to see:...

2.Premium Members get Autowatch. In other words the checkbox in point 1. can be made to be on by default. This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not...

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

If this were to be actually considered, I would vote against this option. The last thing I want is emails regarding all of the caches I've already found.

key words in BOLD, for the reading impaired. icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

If you re-read the post you will see that the ability to watch all caches you've found would be based on a check box on the log a find page being preset to on. Again I stipulated an option on your profile page to enable that feature. If you don't like it, turn it off.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

2.Premium Members get Autowatch. In other words the checkbox in point 1. can be made on by default. This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not.

Really keys words in bold for those that think they read carefully, but don't.

The point is, why have it default to sending max number of emails. It should default to the least intrusive option.

quote:

Really keys words in bold for those that think they read carefully, but don't.

The point is, why have it default to sending max number of emails. It should default to the least intrusive option.

Really, REALLY key words....awww, never mind...... If you can't understand that the line I emphasized in bold in the post above modifies the line you have in bold........that it means that it WOULD default to the least obtrusive option.......

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Respectfully, you are wrong. If it is set to send an emails for all found caches unless you change the setting, it is automatically set to the most intrusive setting.

If this idea were to be implemented, I suggest that it be set to not automatically send these emails, but allow a cacher to choose to turn the option on.

To me, the key to this issue is whether it were set to be on by default or off by default. On by default is clearly most intrusive as this would require action by a cacher to reduce the number of emails. The original suggestion clearly was for it to be on by default. I believe this to be poor service. I for one, carefully limit the amount of excess emails that I receive.

quote:

Respectfully, you are wrong. If it is set to send an emails for all found caches unless you change the setting, it is automatically set to the most obtrusive setting.

If this idea were to be implemented, I suggest that it be set to not automatically send these emails, but allow a cacher to choose to turn the option on.

OK, I'll take on more stab at this.

quote:
can be made to be on by default. This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not.

Let's dissect it. can be made to be on by default. Not, IS turned on by default, but it CAN be, if the user so desired. How would this be determined?

This would be a setting in the user profile that the user could chose to enable or not. It would be a check mark in your user settings, just like the one you need to check if you want to get new cache announcements. If you don't check off the option in the profile, then you don't get the automatic emails. Get it yet?

Hmmmm...

Sounds to me like you're both arguing for the same thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Suggested feature: when logging a find on a cache, have the option at that time to add it to my watch list.

Then there would be an individual setting attached to the user's account setup that would read "I'd like to add all caches I find to my watch account, unless I specify otherwise." - which would be defaulted to off.

If the user switches this on, then their default setting for "add this cache to my watch list as I log it found" would THEN be on.

Did I get it right?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

Markwell, you have it exactly right. The key, to me, is that it be defaulted to off, but allow the user to turn it on if he desires.

I agree. That's what I said :-)

The log a find page has the option turned off and you have to check the box, just like the "Send My Email Address" checkbox USED to be when emailing someone.

Now the "Send My Email Address" is turned on by default. Would it make sense to have a user preference in your profile to let you choose what the default is for that setting? Sure... as a premium feature...why not.

On the same hand, the "Watch This Cache" option on the cache log page would be off by default... HOWEVER... IF you were a premium member you could CHOOSE to have it on by default through a setting on your profile page.

I agree whole heartedly that I would not like to be bombarded with emails but there seems to be a lot of people who get a lot of log entries (needing more then 100 is what started this thread!). So I think a fair number of people would take advantage of it....

HOWEVER, IF such a feature were implemented an EASIER way to remove log watch flags like I mentioned would be an absolute requirment. I'm sure that the people who have over 100 log watchers do so partly because cleaning them up is a pain in the butt!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command