New "Geocaching Challenges" caches

As I commented elsewhere...

I kissed a frog. I'm not ashamed to admit it. (Still waiting for my prince in tights to appear)

My guess is that that was chosen as a first Worldwide Challenge because Groundspeak wanted something really easy that anybody could do if they just wanted to "try out" how a challenge would work in practice. Yes, it's a bit silly but at least frogs have an special status within geocaching.

As for the rest... I think it's a pity that within the first hour of the Challenges being released some cachers were already throwing out the Challenge equivalent of the film pot in the bush. Maybe the mistake that Groundspeak made was in thinking that geocachers would take the time to consider the full potential for creating interesting/engaging/clever/amusing challenges and would police the standards themselves?

I'm hopeful that once all this initial silliness has worn off that we'll end up with some worthwhile challenges. Once those who think they're being oh-so-clever by logging all the daft things with photoshopped logs get bored maybe, just maybe, there will be something interesting left that will add a new dimension to this whole Language of Location thing.

MrsB

Hooray for MrsB! I also kissed a frog to see what it was all about. They probably aren't going to be our thing, but I really can't see what all the tantrums are in aid of. If you don't like them, then DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK! Some of the spoof challenges were initially funny, but now they are just spoiling it for others who want to do some serious ones.

When I click on 'view nearby challenges' in my profile, it shows me challenges in Seattle?? It tells me I am 1 mile away from them! (I am in Scotland) I looked at my home location and it is still correct. Is anyone else getting this? I wanted to see if there actually were any 'challenges' nearby! :(

Yeah that link is broken. Go through the challenge main page and use the "find my location" thing. It's also majorly broken, but at least works for me after clicking 10 times or so on it and only after permanently allowing to share my location :rolleyes:

As for the rest... I think it's a pity that within the first hour of the Challenges being released some cachers were already throwing out the Challenge equivalent of the film pot in the bush.
But it's hardly surprising, is it, given what dross Groundspeak offered as the prime example of a challenge?

Rgds, Andy

Ah now I am confused, there was a challenge 39 miles away from me but it seems you have to take a photograph of yourself on a bridge that has a nearby cache, therefore it is irrelevant how far away from me the challenge is :unsure:

Hmmmnnnn

If it's not specific to the given location, flag it as invalid and move on.

Ah now I am confused, there was a challenge 39 miles away from me but it seems you have to take a photograph of yourself on a bridge that has a nearby cache, therefore it is irrelevant how far away from me the challenge is :unsure:

Hmmmnnnn

If it's not specific to the given location, flag it as invalid and move on.

OK Thanks!

As for the rest... I think it's a pity that within the first hour of the Challenges being released some cachers were already throwing out the Challenge equivalent of the film pot in the bush.
But it's hardly surprising, is it, given what dross Groundspeak offered as the prime example of a challenge?

Rgds, Andy

Well... I don't think they said it was a prime example, did they? As I said, I imagine it was just put out as something amusing that cachers anywhere in the world could try, just for fun, just to see how the whole "Challenge thing" works.

I hope for better things to come. I'm prepared to withhold judgement for a few months. I'll go with the basics, maybe create a few challenges (only set one so far), then see how it all looks come Christmas. Maybe most of the dross will have disappeared by then.

MrsB

(Yeah, I know, I admit it, I'm an optimist :D )

As I commented elsewhere...

I kissed a frog. I'm not ashamed to admit it. (Still waiting for my prince in tights to appear)

My guess is that that was chosen as a first Worldwide Challenge because Groundspeak wanted something really easy that anybody could do if they just wanted to "try out" how a challenge would work in practice. Yes, it's a bit silly but at least frogs have an special status within geocaching.

As for the rest... I think it's a pity that within the first hour of the Challenges being released some cachers were already throwing out the Challenge equivalent of the film pot in the bush. Maybe the mistake that Groundspeak made was in thinking that geocachers would take the time to consider the full potential for creating interesting/engaging/clever/amusing challenges and would police the standards themselves?

I'm hopeful that once all this initial silliness has worn off that we'll end up with some worthwhile challenges. Once those who think they're being oh-so-clever by logging all the daft things with photoshopped logs get bored maybe, just maybe, there will be something interesting left that will add a new dimension to this whole Language of Location thing.

MrsB

Hooray for MrsB! I also kissed a frog to see what it was all about. They probably aren't going to be our thing, but I really can't see what all the tantrums are in aid of. If you don't like them, then DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK! Some of the spoof challenges were initially funny, but now they are just spoiling it for others who want to do some serious ones.

Just wait until the second wave come in 24 hours after the first. The 'challenges' really need to go, or at least be relegated to something akin to TB collecting.

Anyone know whether you have to have any clothes on for the "snog a frog" one? My shower curtain has frogs on it . . .

I'm gonna say for the sake of anyone that logs after you... yes, you have to be clothed ;-)

Or you could strategically position a couple of shower-heads to preserve your modesty. :laughing:

Yes, but I've only got one shower head these days . . . I dumped the other one in an ammo box on Kinder Scout!

It's bad enough when, for example you sit on a bench and are not aware that there is a cache to be found only inches away. Now there could be challenges everwhere you go and you could be not aware of them and have missed the opportunity to rack up a hundred or so in the day. No, I think that I will give these a miss and just be boring and go out and do some old-fashioned geocaching - remember that? :)

Well... I don't think they said it was a prime example, did they?
If you were putting out something new that you wanted to be well received and successful, and you were giving just one example of it, from which everyone else would take their cue, would you try and come up with a good, well thought out and representative example of what you expected and wanted people to do?

Yes, I thought you would.

So why did Groundspeak come up with "kiss a toy frog" and then get all surprised and upset when everyone else followed their example?

Rgds, Andy

I have obviously missed this and I can't really be bothered to trawl through posts to find it but can someone tell me why GC have done this? I just don't understand what the difference is between these and virtuals and I don't know why virtuals were stopped in the first place. I am ignorant of these matters and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Please enlighten me

This is a pretty good explanation of the old Virtuals and their background - The History of Virtuals

MrsB

Thanks for that. I am a little tired so I may have missed something but I still don't see what the point of challenge caches are. Surely a waypointing/virtual website seperate from finding plastic in a field or on a postbox is where this deserves to be. Let me hack through nettles with a big stickand pretend to tie my laces in a busy street and find my plastic container. If I want to go to Buck Pal and have my photo taken with a Grenadier Guard (or whatever they are); climb Snowdon and do a moony, or whatever stupid idea is with challenges, then I can do that. Calling it "geocaching" is not right IMHO.

However, my main points are:

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

WHAT IS THE POINT?

IS THERE A NEED FOR THIS?

HOW DOES IT IMPROVE ON THE GAME?

IS IT ACTUALLY GEOCACHING?

Explain this and convince me through argument and I'll happily jump on board.

... challenge caches ...

They're not caches! :mad:

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's not geocaching. Virtuals also were not geocaching. But people wanted virtuals back, so there they are. But now everybody's complaining that it's not geocaching. :unsure:

... challenge caches ...

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's not geocaching. Virtuals also were not geocaching. But people wanted virtuals back, so there they are. But now everybody's complaining that it's not geocaching. :unsure:

Who are "people"?

... challenge caches ...

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

WHAT IS THE POINT?

Who are "people"?

All those here, and some more: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1050805-bring-back-virtuals?ref=title

So why did Groundspeak come up with "kiss a toy frog" and then get all surprised and upset when everyone else followed their example?

I think this has been their biggest mistake so far. They should have had an initial bunch of challenges to give a flavour of what challenges were all about. I think they had the frog one so EVERYONE could get involved and check out the app/challenge with minimal effort - but it's backfired due to all of the other silly kiss/hug/poke/prod challenges which popped up.

Challenges could have their place, but due to some mis-steps people are getting awfully upset.

I think this has been their biggest mistake so far. They should have had an initial bunch of challenges to give a flavour of what challenges were all about. I think they had the frog one so EVERYONE could get involved and check out the app/challenge with minimal effort - but it's backfired due to all of the other silly kiss/hug/poke/prod challenges which popped up. Challenges could have their place, but due to some mis-steps people are getting awfully upset.

I think the frog may have been chosen as it has a connection with Groundspeak, Signal thenFrog.

I agree about setting up a few so we could see what sort of thing might be acceptable.

I set one up last night to see how things might pan out Thumbs Up for The London Eye

However, of 6 completions, I'd really like to delete 5, as clearly they haven't done what was asked, e.g. Go to The London Eye area and have your photo taken with your thumbs up ( eye in background).

For anyone already caching in the area a challenge for interest sake, but sadly already so abused I may well archive it.

If we are to self police these things then I think the creator should be trusted to look at a picture and say yes or no, you have or have not completed the challenge.

However, of 6 completions, I'd really like to delete 5, as clearly they haven't done what was asked, e.g. Go to The London Eye area and have your photo taken with your thumbs up ( eye in background).

I've been flagging logs like that, as "prohibited". No idea if it's made any difference, but doing so all the same.

I think the frog may have been chosen as it has a connection with Groundspeak, Signal thenFrog.
I think we all had made that connection, but it doesn't make the challenge any less puerile.

Maybe a new phrase will appear in the geocacher's lexicon:

Kissing the frog - selling your geocaching soul for the price of a "found it" smiley :lol: .

If we are to self police these things then I think the creator should be trusted to look at a picture and say yes or no, you have or have not completed the challenge.
My understanding was that after 24 hours, or as soon as someone accepted the challenge, you lost all "rights" as the creator of the challenge - is that correct, or did I misunderstand?

Rgds, Andy

I assume others have received what i assume is generic feedback to our posts on the 'feedback' section of the Groundspeak site via e-mail.I have copy and pasted below:

I am actually not a businessman at heart, and I didn't build the web site to turn it into a business. I'm someone whose goal is to inspire outdoor play. Part of this entails creating something new and different so we can take geocaching where it can't be today due to the physical location of the cache.

I certainly will consider many options, but doing so on the first day of release is more than unfair to the concept. Give it a few weeks before coming to conclusions about the activity, and maybe consider creating a challenge that you think would contribute to people getting outside more.

I am not sure this really inspires anybody to 'get out more' than they did before but I am willing to give it a few weeks to see what develops. I wish they wouldn't create a combined FIND score and maybe this will change and challenges have their own tally, game site and following??. It would be lovely to see common sense prevail from every quarter and subsequently see a scattering of good quality challenges ie photos at 'very special'places etc.

FOREVER THE CYNICAL OPTIMIST (my favourite oxymoron)

I think as creator I may be able to archive it, which indeed I shall do if the Germans and Metal-Bijou Cachers continue to abuse it! :laughing:

I agree I was one of the silly season people logging a complete for this (and a few others). My tounge was firmly in cheek as I logged them. I didn't try and hide the fact that it was an armchair log but I was using a photo on my window sill and only following the text. I suppose I took my lead from the kiss a frog cache which is location less (but then getting caught up in silly season doesn't really wash). I will say that I regret it though as actually I think there should be a rule that it has to be done at location or back dating. And no that doesn't go without saying, especially with the early examples.

Just discovered you can delete your own logs :-) . Now there's a dilema. On the one hand I want to keep it as I followed the text but in the spirit of the challenge and especially as it can't be edited by the CO (And no I'm not saying cache owner but rather challenge owner).

I sensed your log was tongue in cheek James, and it has made me adjust the instructions on e challenge I'll get published later today.

So now we know what you are up to, it's just the Germans other cachers we need to worry about! :unsure:

It may seem I am being picky about one nation, but I checked the other logs, and my very favourite virtual in the whole wide world was archived due to German armchair loggers, and it was the only geocache within 400 miles at the time (Xi'an, China), and it seems the same thing is happening all over again :huh:

I think as creator I may be able to archive it, which indeed I shall do if the Germans and Metal-Bijou Cachers continue to abuse it! :laughing:

I'm a creator too. I don't see how I can bring up your challenges without being close, so can't abuse them... Sorry.

The way I see it, it's a big game of dare... Or it will degenerate into that... so it's a laugh... Anybody is free to "abuse" my "challenges" and I will continue to publish themif people promise to abuse them.

Now producing on 2 accounts... Forgot one still had pm status.

What would have been nice would have been for the system to send an e-mail when someone comments on my log, flags a challenge. I suppose that would be open to abuse but it would have allowed me to either delete or archive.

The community policing I think will clean up but some just might not realise it's happened and either keep logging or setting after silly season.

What would have been nice would have been for the system to send an e-mail when someone comments on my log, flags a challenge. I suppose that would be open to abuse but it would have allowed me to either delete or archive.

The community policing I think will clean up but some just might not realise it's happened and either keep logging or setting after silly season.

I hope they stay silly. Less directed at being anti-challenges yes, but silly.

I won't enjoy getting a photo at a trig point where there's already a cache.... I would enjoy getting my photo taken drinking from my flask of coffee inside a Costa branch.

For me it's only the silly that can make challenges interesting for the masses.

I won't enjoy getting a photo at a trig point where there's already a cache.... I would enjoy getting my photo taken drinking from my flask of coffee inside a Costa branch.

Oh I love the idea of an intentionally silly challenge of drinking from a flask in a coffee shop. A must, if someone has a link to one then please share. On the other hand my silly season was more directed at armchair "caching" even if legitmate completing.

I set one up last night to see how things might pan out Thumbs Up for The London Eye

I thought that your comment to sanseven; "Where are your thumbs? Sorry but this is not aout submitting your old holiday photos, so haven't completed the challenge!" was very funny - seems to have the right degree of Britishness to fit the bill.

Oh I love the idea of an intentionally silly challenge of drinking from a flask in a coffee shop. A must, if someone has a link to one then please share. On the other hand my silly season was more directed at armchair "caching" even if legitmate completing.

It's coming tonight... Mine was deleted again, so a friend is publishing. Don't suppose Glossop's branch will look too different to any other town's... So it's not locationless... But they have armchairs... And sofas! It's also not illegal... For the consumer... But opens a can of worms for the establishment... So stealth may be required!

It's the start of a series... For anyone who want's a head start, #2 is to get a Costa travel cup refilled in a Starbucks.

Edited by NattyBooshka
Let me know why it sucks and shouldn't be allowed on the geocaching site.
I would have thought it was quite obvious that it shouldn't be allowed on a geocaching site, simply because it isn't a geocache, or anything like one.

It sounds like a fine challenge to go on a Challenge site though.

Rgds, Andy

Events where you have to dress like a tit aren't geocaches but it's easy enough to avoid attending such travesties in the name of geocaching!

Let me know why it sucks and shouldn't be allowed on the geocaching site.
I would have thought it was quite obvious that it shouldn't be allowed on a geocaching site, simply because it isn't a geocache, or anything like one.

It sounds like a fine challenge to go on a Challenge site though.

Rgds, Andy

Events where you have to dress like a tit aren't geocaches but it's easy enough to avoid attending such travesties in the name of geocaching!

Talking of tits... I was looking at challenging people to send photos of great knockers... Do I place it at B&Q or wickes?

You can't access Geocaching.com for one night, log back on and suddenly its all about challenges. Here's a challenge for Groundspeak, remove them from my icon, home page etc and stick them on a different site along with Waymarking etc.

What do they have to do with looking for plastic boxes in trees and under bushes?

Hate them already. :angry:

You're going to love my Amersham Station series of challenges.

I'm looking at making a special journey when the series is complete. I consider myself a beginner next to a real fool... But I intend to learn quickly! Make them as silly as you can... I'll come and do them all, they just have to get past TPTB!

I'm looking at making a special journey when the series is complete. I consider myself a beginner next to a real fool... But I intend to learn quickly! Make them as silly as you can... I'll come and do them all, they just have to get past TPTB!

I was inspired by the "Kiss a frog" cache, which, since it comes from Groundspeak, must surely be appropriate, non-prohibited and inoffensive. The series might never be complete; my current plan is to add one per day.

I was inspired by the "Kiss a frog" cache, which, since it comes from Groundspeak, must surely be appropriate, non-prohibited and inoffensive. The series might never be complete; my current plan is to add one per day.

All at the station? I'd come and make a fool of myself 100 times or so no worries!

Out of interest, why choose Amersham station?

Ah wait, I've got it. Because you don't want this nonsense occurring at Chesham station :D

Because Amersham station is entirely a higher class of station. If you want challenges at Chesham station, you can set them. Since no maintenance is required, you can set a challenge cache anywhere in the world. For example, you could challenge someone to climb Mount Everest while wearing a red nose.

Good news for devotees of the Amersham station series - "Amersham Silly Walk" has now been published.

Ooh, got to go and have a look now. (Can't see any information/link from your profile or geocache history, Mrs. B. There is no linky. maybe that will turn out to be a good thing all round! :laughing::ph34r: )

You're right: Although the challenge is listed there on our tab "Geocaches Found" there doesn't seem to be any way to provide a link to our (my) log and photograph of me kissing a frog. Hmmmm. You could be right... That may be a good thing ;)

As for it being "utter trash", I'm prepared to wait and see how it all develops over the next few weeks. The experience of having to find a suitably compliant frog to kiss, taking a photograph, uploading it and writing a brief comment log was marginally more interesting than finding some film pot in an un-inspiring location and trying to sign the obligatory damp log strip.

MrsB

I dId the frog kissing too as I have a frog tb and as a frog is a gc mascot but it appears to have been archived, voted off by the community, not sure if I'll bother again:(

Do you have to be a PM to set a challenge, i love nattys idea of silly challenges.....its something to think about when ur travelling and u see theres a challenge in a train station so u just do what ever they ask for ABIT OF FUN!!! its all about the silliness :)

Heres my idea (dunno if its safe or not) Go to Leeds town hall and climb onto one of the big stone lions..........then ride it like a cowboy/girl.....extra kudos if u have a cow boy hat in ur hand swinging it around in the air :)

What u think ??? Iconic buildin, beautiful city, dodgy looks guaranteed hahaha i wanna do it now :ph34r:

... it appears to have been archived, voted off by the community ...
That does to some degree restore my faith in "community". Whatever you think about challenges, I can't believe that anyone really thinks "kissing the frog" was anything but an atrocious first example of its kind.

Pretend that geocaching didn't exist, and you were introducing the concept for the first time. You describe the way it gets families out together in the fresh air, keeps you fit, you describe walking to some great locations, seeing interesting and informative things, learning about nature, history. You say how kids can have fun finding a "treasure chest" and how they can swap things, and you describe how travel bugs move from cache to cache.

And then you hide a geocache as an example to everyone. You stick a magnetic nano under the dog poo bin outside your office door, on a busy main road.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Heres my idea (dunno if its safe or not) Go to Leeds town hall and climb onto one of the big stone lions..........then ride it like a cowboy/girl.....extra kudos if u have a cow boy hat in ur hand swinging it around in the air :)

Is someone going to get into 'trouble' climbing on the lion though? Maybe put ther head in its mouth instead?

The way I think (and other opinions exist, this is just my view) a challenge would work best is like this:

I go to town X for the day for some non-geocaching related purpose. I find I have 5 minutes spare, load up the app on my phone and see there's a challenge just round the corner. I should be able to go there, see something cool / iconic / informative, and complete the challenge with minimum of fuss.

Trouble is that if it's simple, people will cheat. If it's too hard people won't do it. It should be fun and possibly a little silly, bring a smile to their day. I like Doresetgal's challenges in London but I see how many people are cheating. I err on the side of, "if people cheat, they cheat themselves". That said, I think there's more cheating going on in the capital as those cheaters are less likely to type places like "Amersham" into the search. Hopefully once the majority of cheaters get their fill, things will calm down.

I find I have 5 minutes spare, load up the app on my phone and see there's a challenge just round the corner. I should be able to go there, see something cool / iconic / informative, and complete the challenge with minimum of fuss ... If it's too hard people won't do it
So are you saying that ideally challenges should NOT be challenging? Maybe they should have called them something else?

Rgds, Andy