New "Geocaching Challenges" caches

On that Waymarking site, the nearest one to me is about 100 miles away. When I ever get to one and see it so I can log I've found it (or when I've found 100) I might start getting into publishing/recording some. Also, those are not trig points, they are bench marks! I'm not interested in benchmarks so much. It's the mounting points for a theodolite I like, on the top of a trig pillar. (call me weird!) :laughing:

(Apologies for off-topic reply)- there should be plenty of trig points near you unless you live way out at sea. Dover Hill is an example of one that's been logged by me. A lot of them have also been visited (although this one hasn't). Obviously there are cut marks and bench marks as well but you don't have to find them if you prefer OS columns.

As far as the Challenges are concerned, the first one I saw was "Make a Photo from your Favorite Beer". I don't think so.

"Take a lovely picture of you and your dog..........hugging!". Nope.

"Take a photograph of yourself with your country's flag!". No thanks.

How long before I find an interesting one?

On that Waymarking site, the nearest one to me is about 100 miles away. When I ever get to one and see it so I can log I've found it (or when I've found 100) I might start getting into publishing/recording some. Also, those are not trig points, they are bench marks! I'm not interested in benchmarks so much. It's the mounting points for a theodolite I like, on the top of a trig pillar. (call me weird!) :laughing:

(Apologies for off-topic reply)- there should be plenty of trig points near you unless you live way out at sea. Dover Hill is an example of one that's been logged by me. A lot of them have also been visited (although this one hasn't). Obviously there are cut marks and bench marks as well but you don't have to find them if you prefer OS columns.

As far as the Challenges are concerned, the first one I saw was "Make a Photo from your Favorite Beer". I don't think so.

"Take a lovely picture of you and your dog..........hugging!". Nope.

"Take a photograph of yourself with your country's flag!". No thanks.

How long before I find an interesting one?

It's not entirely off topic. It might be off at a bit of a tangent, but it is still rooted in 'how similar/different are these challenges to what we have already'.

I have done today's worldwide silly challenge. (Well, got Mr F to.) Will see how it goes.

Then there are a couple local to me, on Crickley Hill (near to where there will be an event in a couple of weeks) which I accepted as they will be fun extra things to do with with the family at the event.

Can't see if they affect the map yet, as the site is down for a bit.

Just as geocaching has the guideline in place to ask why a cache is being placed, and the notion that placing a film pot at the base of a post just because there are no other caches within 528 feet isn't really a good reason to place a cache, at least the saturation rule means that not every post has a film pot at its base. If we see too many things that don't have this proximity guideline I can see the geocaching site being swamped with quasi-challenges like "eat a burger at McDonalds and post a photo", closely followed by "drink a coffee at Starbucks and post a photo". They might be "location based games" but surely nobody really needs to use a GPS to find their local McDonalds.

I agree. These sort of challenges worry me. However if it's more a case of "Take a picture of yourself at Stonehenge" (as an example, I know there's already a virtual) where it would not be possible to place a physical cache, I see it as no worse than a good virtual. I'd personally like to see trigpoints as challenge photo caches, especially as I refuse to log ye old survey monuments more than once (just a personal preference).

My other worry is that with no proximity guidelines, we'll see some locations get multiple challenges (i.e. take a picture of you running / smiling / eating a burger / etc.) There may be a case for a location having more than one challenge but it should be the exception. I tried Waymarking a while back and whilst I thought some categories were good a lot were like you say.

I think the key is that just as a cache needs a reason to be placed, I think challenge caches need a reason as well, either to discover something or do something pretty unique you'd not do otherwise. That's why I think rather than just ignoring them, those who have concerns should try and set the bar. However, like any caches... one man's bad cache is another man's favourite.

How will they handle the whole commercial aspect? If we're not even allowed to say "Park at the Red Lion" in a cache page how will "Pay £9.50 to enter Stonehenge, then take a photo of yourself" work?

It might work in places like Richmond Park or the US National Parks which are free to enter (although some of them aren't free to enter, like Shenandoah) where physical caches might not be permitted, it's just hard to see how they differ from a virtual.

I see the first challenge, "kiss a frog". A live frog, a model frog, a person whose name is Frog, whatever. No location requirements. Quite what that has to do with anything caching, anything to do with location, is far from clear. It's like a reverse (locationless) cache where you can make up any old junk and post a picture of it. My wife has a pendant with a jade frog on it, it's just hard to see any merit in finding something frog-shaped around the house and uploading a picture of me kissing it. It's certainly not the most inspiring start to a new game.

Waymarking seemed like an interesting idea at first but when I started to see branches of McDonalds listed as waymarks it suddenly seemed like a potentially very dull idea. You could spend time looking for things like London's coal posts (which I knew nothing about before geocaching took me to them), or spend time visiting every single McDonalds / Wally World / whatever within whatever counts as striking distance from home. I can see using geocaching to find interesting places when away from home (I found a few spectacular vistas in the US purely because someone put a cache) but really can't imagine taking the time out to visit the local Wal-Mart just to take a photo of myself grinning inanely at the camera in order to bag another waymark.

I don't want to bang on about Waymarking too much (if I haven't already!), but one of its strengths is that you can make a category disappear altogether. So I (as an example) never see any Walmarts or McDonalds because I eliminated them all at the start with a couple of mouse clicks. It's as if they don't get listed at all. I've found a coal post or two and some petroglyphs, a wind harp, trig points and some other interesting stuff and they tend to take you somewhere that you wouldn't normally know about in a way that works better than a geocache.

I would assume that the new Challenges also allow you to eliminate the types you're not interested in. If not, it's doomed!

That makes sense to be able to eliminate certain categories. I guess one of the weaknesses of the Waymarking site is that I saw the amount of dross on it and lost interest before exploring it in any detail. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

From what I've seen of the challenges so far "the types I'm not interested in" is "challenges".

How will they handle the whole commercial aspect? If we're not even allowed to say "Park at the Red Lion" in a cache page how will "Pay £9.50 to enter Stonehenge, then take a photo of yourself" work?

They've specifically mentioned pubs in the blog article, so I guess they're saying that challenge caches don't have the same rules applied to them... any rules in fact.

And I have to agree with others that the challenges I've seen go live so far have left me slightly unimpressed. I'll probably be a hypocrite and do them, but just mark them as thumbs down :blink:

Just completed the tree hug challenge near Sutton park in Birmingham. Apparently I get a bonus point if I do it in the park (which I didnt). I went out into my virtual garden and did the virtual requirements and then logged a virtual response and photo. Not sure my box brownie was up to it so not sure what ended up on the site.

And I have to agree with others that the challenges I've seen go live so far have left me slightly unimpressed. I'll probably be a hypocrite and do them, but just mark them as thumbs down :blink:
You don't have to do them in order to mark them down. I would be too embarrassed to look another cacher in the face if I logged any of the rubbish that has appeared so far :sad: .

Rgds, Andy

They've specifically mentioned pubs in the blog article, so I guess they're saying that challenge caches don't have the same rules applied to them... any rules in fact.

Ah, so we'll have the great example of consistency when you can't tell someone to park for free at the pub because mentioning the name is "commercial" but can tell them to go into the same pub and buy a drink, as long as it's listed as a "challenge" rather than a "geocache". Odd...

On a positive note, if the challenges continue to represent such vague dross I might be in with a chance of getting my find count up to beat Dr Solly... as long as he doesn't start kissing frogs and farting on trees or whatever else these challenges are.

My challenge 'completed' HAS been added to my finds total although there is a breakdown giving number of founds and number of challenges completed.

I feel very sorry for some of the cachers that are really proud of the number of caches they have sought and found all over the country who could now be engulfed by 'challenges'!!

Ok... There was only one way opencaching.com could succeed and that was complete insanity from Groundspeak.

Looks like Garmin have a chance, well more than a chance. Some ask for virtuals back... The response? A lame and easy "challenge" for smartphone users to feel better and rack up numbers.

And before the flames, I own 3 iPhones.

So to complete 'Kiss a frog' challenge I don't need co-ords or a GPSr. How on earth is this geocaching? :(

Debs

I guess "Groundspeak - the language of location" has updated their mission statement to "Groundspeak - the language of location, or any other old junk we feel like pumping on the site".

The good news for non Premium Members; you can see them and log them. You just can't set them. They don't appear on cache searches (yet?). They don't appear on caching maps (yet?). They're a halfway house between caching and Waymarking and the ones already set in London sound like they might be fun. They're as much 'caching' as virtuals are and I for one welcome them. I reserve the right to change my mind if they end up being pants though :)

I shall give it a couple of days to see how things pan out, and if it stays the same as it is now I will be archiving all my 50 Groundspeak caches and publishing them on opencaching.org.uk instead.

Groundspeak had an unassailable position as far as cache listings are concerned - other sites could not take it away from them, they could only lose that position if they did something really stupid. And they just did.

I don't know if this will result in other sites getting a bigger share, or not, but it was incredibly stupid of Groundspeak even to offer the opportunity.

Rgds, Andy

I shall give it a couple of days to see how things pan out, and if it stays the same as it is now I will be archiving all my 50 Groundspeak caches and publishing them on opencaching.org.uk instead.

Groundspeak had an unassailable position as far as cache listings are concerned - other sites could not take it away from them, they could only lose that position if they did something really stupid. And they just did.

I don't know if this will result in other sites getting a bigger share, or not, but it was incredibly stupid of Groundspeak even to offer the opportunity.

Rgds, Andy

Same here. At least then nobody will try to force unwanted rubbish down our throats for their own commercial ends.

Rgds, Andy

Already dual-list with Garmin site on 2 of my old caches... New ones and I had loads planned for September launch now aborted. May take them elsewhere... May just go back underground and try again in another 5 years!

On a positive note, if the challenges continue to represent such vague dross I might be in with a chance of getting my find count up to beat Dr Solly... as long as he doesn't start kissing frogs and farting on trees or whatever else these challenges are.

Frogs run at my approach, and I'm not too keen on chasing them. I can fart on trees, though.

When I was a kid, we had a game called "Double dog dare". In this game, you challenged someone to do something moderately stupid. Kind of like "Kiss a frog", although it was more often a girl you were dared to kiss. I think I stopped playing it at about age 12.

From what I've seen, anyone can create a challenge, and there's no review process. "Go to a bridge and shoot some pictures" "kiss a dog"

This seems to me to be an open invitation for Premium members to create large numbers of idiotic dares, there's no way of verifying if they were truly done "Challenges run on the honor system", but they count towards your numbers total and all the armchair virtual finders will have a great time. I was never terribly keen on virtuals, and I think I'm even less keen on challenges.

And I'm rather puzzled about what they have to do with geocaching.

Whatever it was it appears to have been killed by Big Brother... Freedom of speech and Groundspeak don't get on it seems.

I have noticed that the way some people deal with that pesky "freedom of speech" thing, is by use of terms like "inappropriate" or "offensive". Me - I find the words "inappropriate" and "offensive" both inappropriate and offensive.

Frogs run at my approach, and I'm not too keen on chasing them. I can fart on trees, though.

When I was a kid, we had a game called "Double dog dare". In this game, you challenged someone to do something moderately stupid. Kind of like "Kiss a frog", although it was more often a girl you were dared to kiss. I think I stopped playing it at about age 12.

From what I've seen, anyone can create a challenge, and there's no review process. "Go to a bridge and shoot some pictures" "kiss a dog"

This seems to me to be an open invitation for Premium members to create large numbers of idiotic dares, there's no way of verifying if they were truly done "Challenges run on the honor system", but they count towards your numbers total and all the armchair virtual finders will have a great time. I was never terribly keen on virtuals, and I think I'm even less keen on challenges.

And I'm rather puzzled about what they have to do with geocaching.

I'm tempted to create a challenge just for you... "count some slugs". Bonus points for surreal discussions with muggles about why...

Rgds, Andy

Same here. At least then nobody will try to force unwanted rubbish down our throats for their own commercial ends.

I've just completed one of the challenges just to see what the score was. It will more than likely be my first and last. Some will like them though and am I just being dim when I say - if they're not your cup of tea, just don't click on the Challenges link?

Here's one good one though

Challenge the challenge

Whatever it was it appears to have been killed by Big Brother... Freedom of speech and Groundspeak don't get on it seems.

The challenge was to upload a screen shot of how many people had voted to kill challenges:

6056775337_04a71c5504.jpg

Here's a better one, though I'm sure they'll kill it shortly. If they do, I'm cancelling my premium membership, which is due for renewal in about a week.

An Even Worse Idea

6057321386_c9f3aa85f5_b.jpg

Edited by agentmancuso
... am I just being dim when I say - if they're not your cup of tea, just don't click on the Challenges link?
I've always been enthusiastic about geocaching with my friends, customers, etc. If things stay as they are now I will be too embarrassed to even mention that I am associated with it at all :sad: .

Rgds, Andy

I'm tempted to create a challenge just for you... "count some slugs". Bonus points for surreal discussions with muggles about why...

Or "Hand out leaflet about God"

Or "Get Bitten by Dog"

And so the Solly Challenge Cache Series was born! [;)]

Now here's a thought. If you do issue a challenge "Get Bitten by Dog", can I claim to have achieved it, even though the bite preceeded the challenge?

Now here's a thought. If you do issue a challenge "Get Bitten by Dog", can I claim to have achieved it, even though the bite preceeded the challenge?

With the way some cachers are logging challenges you probably don't even need a dog, or to be bitten. I honest-to-god just saw a sensible one where you had to go to a location in Europe and cuddle up to some statue. Someone had completed it by hugging their dog instead.

With the way some cachers are logging challenges you probably don't even need a dog, or to be bitten. I honest-to-god just saw a sensible one where you had to go to a location in Europe and cuddle up to some statue. Someone had completed it by hugging their dog instead.

There's one where you take a picture of yourself picking your nose. Seriously. Pathetic. Just pathetic.