Public House Nanos

jump573r

Hi all

I am relatively new to Geocaching and (along with at least one other cacher) wish to deploy a small number of nano caches at public houses that we believe are worthy of a visit. I know caches are already placed near to public houses but this will be the actual cache theme. Now, obviously, there may be concerns about the promotion of alcohol to minors or maybe even commercial promotion and I would like to hear your views on the matter, as I'm not renowned for thinking things through! :blink: An official view would be greatly welcomed.

A few points of note:

•  
  • The pub/land owners permission will be obtained prior to publishing.
  • The caches would be placed on or near the grounds of a public house, not within the public house itself and only at places that we have enjoyed (for various reasons) and would like to share with others.
  • The caches will likely be placed by minor, but possibly major, roads.
  • Those involved with maintaining the caches will be (well!) over 18 years of age.

Thanks to all who respond

jump573r

Hi all

I am relatively new to Geocaching and (along with at least one other cacher) wish to deploy a small number of nano caches at public houses that we believe are worthy of a visit. I know caches are already placed near to public houses but this will be the actual cache theme. Now, obviously, there may be concerns about the promotion of alcohol to minors or maybe even commercial promotion and I would like to hear your views on the matter, as I'm not renowned for thinking things through! :blink: An official view would be greatly welcomed.

A few points of note:

•  
  • The pub/land owners permission will be obtained prior to publishing.
  • The caches would be placed on or near the grounds of a public house, not within the public house itself and only at places that we have enjoyed (for various reasons) and would like to share with others.
  • The caches will likely be placed by minor, but possibly major, roads.
  • Those involved with maintaining the caches will be (well!) over 18 years of age.

Thanks to all who respond

jump573r

This may be what you are looking for. http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=348d361a-fe1f-4b06-b8f6-ed9d8efa5225&wst=9&kw=pubs&st=2

Providing all other guidelines are met with, it sounds like ordinary nano caches to me. Be careful to avoid advertising for the pubs, though. The wording of your cache pages may be the most difficult.

+1 There are plenty of these around where I cache.

I had to look up "public houses" as I had never heard that term. I would have never known that "pub" is short for something. I had always just thought it was a word.

@Sic Semper Tyrannis

So, are you saying that this would be frowned upon in the caching community and if we were to do this, it would be better to do it elsewhere? We don't want to highlight pubs in general, just a select few that we enjoy and think other cachers may also enjoy but may not have discovered.

Edited by jump573r

Probably checking with your reviewer would be the best option. I am thinking that caches placed on the grounds of a public house, even with permission, may be construed as commercial, even if that is not the case. I am not a reviewer, so can't answer that. Do read, and re-read "Hiding your First Cache" for guidance.

British Pubs serve great food, and some are very interesting historically, some in gorgeous locations. If I still lived in the UK, I'd be up for finding a few caches close by. If permission is given, any chance you can increase the caches' size?

Good luck!

Providing all other guidelines are met with, it sounds like ordinary nano caches to me. Be careful to avoid advertising for the pubs, though. The wording of your cache pages may be the most difficult.

Thanks for the advice. We will of course try our utmost to adhere to the geocaching rules but I suppose some are open to interpretation. I think the pub name would in some part be present in the cache title, i.e. Pub Nano - Duke/Queen/Lion but the description would be general and not specific to a particular pub.

@Sic Semper Tyrannis

So, are you saying that this would be frowned upon in the caching community and if we were to do this, it would be better to do it elsewhere? We don't want to highlight pubs in general, just a select few that we enjoy and think other cachers may also enjoy but may not have discovered.

I believe he was pointing out that Waymarking is an alternative way to do what you want to do. I personally dont like Waymarking but many do.

I would go with what knowschad said

"Providing all other guidelines are met with, it sounds like ordinary nano caches to me. Be careful to avoid advertising for the pubs, though. The wording of your cache pages may be the most difficult."

A a cache that promotes any type of business will not be allowed as it is a guideline violation. May be you could name your caches as PUB Crawl #1, #2 #3 and so for as long as you have adequate permission and no mention of the establishment

I'll do some further reading of the rules and guidelines before proceeding any further. It appears that commercial promotion is the main concern here, so I'll pay particular attention to that area. Many thanks to all above for the advice and direction. Any further advice, guidance or highlighted concerns are welcome.

jump573r

There are some local series of caches devoted to breweries and pubs, but they carefully avoid using the name of the establishment. One example is here, and other titles have some relation to the brewery without naming names-- Bear Bites Man For Cold Beer for instance is used for Thirsty Bear; Never Trust A Stout Brewer takes its name from a quote attributed to the owner of a brewery. Another title that someone used based on the name of the brewery, without being specific, is Pyramid Scheme. Someone else did a series simply called "Happy Hour."

So be creative and avoid anything that might be construed as solicitation, and you should be able to make it work.

Wait a week and you'll be able to create a series of Action Challenges where the challenge is to go into of the public houses and have a pint.

Heh! That may be worth a punt!

There are some local series of caches devoted to breweries and pubs, but they carefully avoid using the name of the establishment. One example is here, and other titles have some relation to the brewery without naming names-- Bear Bites Man For Cold Beer for instance is used for Thirsty Bear; Never Trust A Stout Brewer takes its name from a quote attributed to the owner of a brewery. Another title that someone used based on the name of the brewery, without being specific, is Pyramid Scheme. Someone else did a series simply called "Happy Hour."

So be creative and avoid anything that might be construed as solicitation, and you should be able to make it work.

Awesome response. Thanks very much. Creative/investigative/thinking cap on.

@Sic Semper Tyrannis

No, that is not what I meant. I like Brew Pubs, and that Waymarking category is a tool I use to locate them. If it were me I would create a "Micro Brew" series of caches. Just get permission and don't make the listing look like an ad for the pub. Your idea will work.

Cheers.

I had a great pub crawl through a walkable district of Ottawa once. Each stage of a certain multi was placed near a very appealing-looking patio pub, and I decided to do the multi in the style that was intended.

(Hic!)

I don't remember if any pubs were named, but the caches were out on public property, and it seems nobody had a problem with that.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

No, that is not what I meant. I like Brew Pubs, and that Waymarking category is a tool I use to locate them. If it were me I would create a "Micro Brew" series of caches. Just get permission and don't make the listing look like an ad for the pub. Your idea will work.

Cheers.

Sorry for misinterpreting your first comment and also for using your forum title, rather than your username :o Thanks for the Waymarking pointer, it looks promising. I'll check it out.

Cheers indeed!