Geocaching License

Wolfdentx

Found a copy of geocaching license in a cache today.I have never seen one before and wanted to know if anybody knows a place I could print some? Would like to pass them out in other caches.

In other words, it is apparent that you have been caching without a license. The cache police might have a thing or two to say about that.

Found a copy of geocaching license in a cache today.I have never seen one before and wanted to know if anybody knows a place I could print some? Would like to pass them out in other caches.

In other words, it is apparent that you have been caching without a license. The cache police might have a thing or two to say about that.

Yeah, but a lot of people don't have licenses these days. A lot of them failed the test because they didn't know what DNF, TNLN, and SL meant...

A fellow cacher named Scratch_ made up a bunch of these.

1c5bbfc9-7b26-42ee-bb35-a398cfa4ce78.jpg

I think they're brilliant. Even though it's long expired, I still have the 2007 edition on my car.

Was that professionally printed? I have an itch to make something like it (and will post the finished one if anyone might want it), but they can fade if printed by an ordinary home printer. Thats OK if you dont mind printing a new one later.

Im thinking of getting rid of the expiration date. Is there anything youd like to change/add/remove? Ill make a US version of the above window sticker, and a version of the License.

Edited by kunarion

I think they're brilliant. Even though it's long expired, I still have the 2007 edition on my car.

Was that professionally printed? I have an itch to make something like it (and will post the finished one if anyone might want it), but they can fade if printed by an ordinary home printer. That’s OK if you don’t mind printing a new one later.

I’m thinking of getting rid of the “expiration date”. Is there anything you’d like to change/add/remove? I’ll make a US version of the above window sticker, and a version of the License.

I would love to have something like this for use in the United States.

I ain't got no license and I ain't gonna git one! Just let them revenuers try and do sumth'n 'bout it!

Was that professionally printed?

No! He bought some sheets of back-side-sticky label paper (maybe plastic), possibly Avery brand, and just printed right on them with some sort of color printer. That's all the details I know.

What I can say is that 4 years later, the label is just barely faded even though it's been on the outside of my windshield (carefully placed away from the wiper sweep) the whole time. Mind you, the car's parked inside most of the time so it doesn't get much sunlight.

Subtle detail: Did you notice the coordinates at the bottom of the permit? (I checked; they don't point to anywhere in particular.)

PS: How does a Canadian spell "Canada" out loud? Look again.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Yeah, but a lot of people don't have licenses these days. A lot of them failed the test because they didn't know what DNF, TNLN, and SL meant...

Who needs two, three, or four letters when none will do?

Too bad so many of these are in jpeg format; they'd print better (sharper) in png or gif (lossless) formats.

True, if it were a photograph with nuances of color and tone AND if the jpeg compression were turned on, but it is highly unlikely that the photo format would make any difference on something like these documents. Resolution would be the main contributing factor here, even if the jpeg compression were full-blown.

I would love to have something like this for use in the United States.

It's true that a Canadian Geocaching Permit is not valid in the US. So here's one of each. Save it to your PC. I was able to print these at 3x5" with the Windows Print function (right-click an image file on the hard drive, fiddle with the layout til it looks right). These are 150dpi and rather large, so they may print nicely at 3x5. I'd expect they'd look great printed "photo quality" on the special plastic sheets for inkjets, or on photo paper. Save the files if you like them, since there are no guarantees about availability later. If you'd prefer a vector graphic file, let me know (they can go into the MBs in size, but would print great).

GAPermitUS-2.jpg

http://kunarion.com/Geocache/GAPermitUS-2.jpg

GAPermitCAN-2.jpg

http://kunarion.com/Geocache/GAPermitCAN-2.jpg

To print in Windows, deselect "fit picture to frame", choose the paper type, pick a size (best at 3x5 or smaller), and you can set it to print more than one on a sheet. There's also an "options" link to do even more fine-tuning if you like.

Edited by kunarion

Too bad so many of these are in jpeg format; they'd print better (sharper) in png or gif (lossless) formats.

True, if it were a photograph with nuances of color and tone AND if the jpeg compression were turned on, but it is highly unlikely that the photo format would make any difference on something like these documents. Resolution would be the main contributing factor here, even if the jpeg compression were full-blown.

The right format for the right job, is what I always say sometimes. :D

@kunarion: Do you have the .psd files? I'd like to change some of the wording.

It's an Adobe Illustrator file. I exported it to PSD for you. There are oh-so-many ways this won't work (sending to a different computer with different software versions, fonts, etc.), but here they are anyway. The PSD seems to be editable, so maybe it's OK:

Photoshop File

Illustrator File

You should save them. They're rather huge files, so I may have to remove them.

(pssst... you don't need the "@". A simple comma following the name has sufficed for centuries)

Some people confuse forums with tweets, apparently. Glory be unto teh interwebz.

You have nothing better to do than give me a hard time about the conventions I use to indicate who a post is directed to? Shouldn't you be complaining about something people don't care about, like the new social network buttons, or the position of the Feedback button on the home page?

Google is your friend. Google early, Google often.

Something like this?

license.jpg

I have this!! Laminated and Carry it my wallet :laughing:

That's wrong. JPEG compression is designed to be used with photos-- images with nuances of color and tone . It is able to reduce such photos down to a few megabytes with little visible compression artifacts. JPEG doesn't work so well with screenshots or logos, which is why PNG is preferred for them.

That's wrong. JPEG compression is designed to be used with photos-- images with nuances of color and tone . It is able to reduce such photos down to a few megabytes with little visible compression artifacts. JPEG doesn't work so well with screenshots or logos, which is why PNG is preferred for them.

You are so wrong. Go read up on lossy compression and come back to me when you understand it.

Edited by knowschad

You are so wrong. Go read up on lossy compression and come back to me when you understand it.

And the gloves are off!

JPEG compression is designed to be used with photos-- images with nuances of color and tone . It is able to reduce such photos down to a few megabytes with little visible compression artifacts. JPEG doesn't work so well with screenshots or logos, which is why PNG is preferred for them.

JPEG is a form of lossy compression, but the lost image data is usually unnoticeable when use on photos. The compression is noticeable on non photographic images so PNG, lossless compression, is used on them.

JPEG compression is designed to be used with photos-- images with nuances of color and tone . It is able to reduce such photos down to a few megabytes with little visible compression artifacts. JPEG doesn't work so well with screenshots or logos, which is why PNG is preferred for them.

JPEG is a form of lossy compression, but the lost image data is usually unnoticeable when use on photos. The compression is noticeable on non photographic images so PNG, lossless compression, is used on them.

PM sent. Back to the topic at hand.

Google is your friend. Google early, Google often.

Something like this?

license.jpg

That is amazing! I love it :D

I like this too! How fun!

Here is a Vehicle Placard. It doesn't give off the same authoritative air as the other one but some of you may be interested in it.

This one is good too. Not really fun, but a good idea! Curious people won't think you're trying to locate your lost stash of crack or something :laughing: