Geocaching.com...site update Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pup Patrol

Podcacher has an interview with Jeremy and Bryan http://www.podcacher.com/

The photo challenge sounds like old school virts.

The action challenge seem to have no relation to old school caching but may be interesting.

Apparently there will be an awesomness quality rating where the community will judge the value of challenges.

EDIT: The blog also has more details. The rating will be a simple thumbs up or down initially. http://blog.geocaching.com/

Edited by IkeHurley13

Podcacher has an interview with Jeremy and Bryan http://www.podcacher.com/

The photo challenge sounds like old school virts.

The action challenge seem to have no relation to old school caching but may be interesting.

Apparently there will be an awesomness quality rating where the community will judge the value of challenges.

EDIT: The blog also has more details. The rating will be a simple thumbs up or down initially. http://blog.geocaching.com/

Thanks for posting the link to the blog.

:(

Im not getting the message on the forum site, so maybe it will only be the main website.

I hope so.

Withdrawls can come on fast.

Yes, the upgrade just involves the Geocaching.com site.

The forums aren't affected, being on a different site (Groundspeak.com)

edit: danged apostrophes, wandering all over the place.

Edited by Pup Patrol

omg, he says that geocaches are physical objects and that virtuals aren't geocaches at all, omg :ph34r:

I would think that virtuals are physical objects, but not geocaches. I have never saw or photographed a fart, but they are real. :D

So that is my new challange cache. Find as many as you can at the Block Party and photograph them. B)

I'm confused.

Last week, in another thread and in regards to "challenge caches" rather than "Challenges," Jeremy noted:

The problem with challenge caches is that the challenge has no relation to the location of the geocache.

Today, in his blog, Jeremy noted:

We also know in the early days that there won’t be many Challenges, so we’ll be issuing Worldwide challenges daily. For those old timers, these challenges will be like the old Locationless caches. For example, we’ll challenge you to take a picture of yourself on a boat, kissing a frog, or dressed like a pirate.

So, if "challenge caches" are a problem because they aren't connected to a location, then why are locationless Worldwide "Challenges" not a problem?

So, if "challenge caches" are a problem because they aren't connected to a location, then why are locationless Worldwide "Challenges" not a problem?

The "cache" in "challenge cache" obviously has a location. So there's a location. The "challenge" part has no relation to that location and has no relation to the cache. Problem.

Locationless challenge have no location and aren't associated with anything that has a location. No problem.

So if I get this right ....

You can issue a challenge and once issue you no longer own the challenge and can not affect the logs, you can no longer do anything with the challenge.

The community rates your issued challenge with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

The photo challenges are verified with a posted photo.

The action challenge is verfified by ... I don't know.

You completed challenge is counted separately from your found counts.

Seems to me the logging of a challenge is nothing more than a officially sanctioned ALR. Seems to me the challenges can get really ugly really quick and without reviewers how is this going to be controlled? The completion of an action challenge seems pretty nebulous ... Can you say "Greetings from Germany?" The thing that keeps drifting through my mind is the dude on the medicare ad ... "What were they thinking?". I probably will do a couple, but probably will quickly be put in the benchmark category.

That's unclear, at least to me.

I've read elsewhere that the challenge counts will be kept separately (at least initially). But this blog comment seems to indicate otherwise:

Geocachers will earn smileys for completing a Challenge. The smileys for Challenges will appear separate from geocaches in user profiles, but will be part of your found/completed count.

Granted, the comment is somewhat ambiguous, but my reading is that the challenge smileys will be part of a combined found/completed count (unlike Benchmarks, which have their own count).

We also know in the early days that there won’t be many Challenges, so we’ll be issuing Worldwide challenges daily. For those old timers, these challenges will be like the old Locationless caches. For example, we’ll challenge you to take a picture of yourself on a boat, kissing a frog, or dressed like a pirate.

:blink:

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with "Go here, find container, sign log"...you know -- Geocaching.

I would think that virtuals are physical objects, but not geocaches. I have never saw or photographed a fart, but they are real. :D

So that is my new challange cache. Find as many as you can at the Block Party and photograph them. B)

you got it all wrong, farts will fall under "action"

Seems to me the logging of a challenge is nothing more than a officially sanctioned ALR.

Why do people keep insisting on comparing this with ALRs? There's no cache to log, so there can't be any ALRs.

That's unclear, at least to me.

I've read elsewhere that the challenge counts will be kept separately (at least initially). But this blog comment seems to indicate otherwise:

Geocachers will earn smileys for completing a Challenge. The smileys for Challenges will appear separate from geocaches in user profiles, but will be part of your found/completed count.

Granted, the comment is somewhat ambiguous, but my reading is that the challenge smileys will be part of a combined found/completed count (unlike Benchmarks, which have their own count).

The podcast thingie explains this: it's two separate counts, but in some places you'll see a sum of them both. Like in somebody's log, it will say "X found", with X being the sum of cache finds and completed challenges, but when you hover your mouse over the number, you'll see a breakdown of that number and see what it really is.

:blink:

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with "Go here, find container, sign log"...you know -- Geocaching.

+1

Yeah, like, "RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, like, "RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dang! Just like Waymarking. Wrong category again, but this time there were two to choose from. I already suck at these not geocache listings! :mad:

The action challenge is verified by ... I don't know.

I just listened to the podcast interview. Apparently, the challenge creator will not be able to delete any logs, including bogus ones. So, unless Groundspeak verifies the logs (unlikely, as this could be a huge burden) or there is some sort of peer verification process, then I'm not sure even photo challenges will be verified.

It will be interesting to see how challenges are implemented.

For folks who might not have seen the announcement:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for a site update on Thursday, August 18, 2011 at approximately 11am PDT (convert to your local time here). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I am sure we will see "Add cacher to an ignore list", 'cause OpinioNate said it was "prioritized in the system" a long time ago. <_<

I know its an unknown quantity at the moment but are challenge caches challenges likely to only be US based to start with?

There, I fixed it for you. And no, it's very unlikely to be USA only.

The first one I have planned won't be, if they publish it.

So if I get this right ....

You can issue a challenge and once issue you no longer own the challenge and can not affect the logs, you can no longer do anything with the challenge.

The community rates your issued challenge with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

The action challenge is verfified by ... I don't know.

For some reason, when I read this I was reminded of the underpants gnomes.

1. Collect Underpants

2. ?

3. Profit

Maybe we will find out the details of step 2 today or tomorrow and end the speculation.

For folks who might not have seen the announcement:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for a site update on Thursday, August 18, 2011 at approximately 11am PDT (convert to your local time here). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I am sure we will see "Add cacher to an ignore list", 'cause OpinioNate said it was "prioritized in the system" a long time ago. <_<

FAT CHANCE!